VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Should fix that title ‘untested VESC TOOL release’

Was excited to see a release that was beta tested, turns out it’s not been tested … Sneaky ninja commits would have me reject a release at work, this sould never have been released

Edit: and yes this IS what I do 26 years and counting lol

8 Likes

Guys, I think the point has been made. I was asleep when the commit was made so didn’t get to have input. I can see it’s one of line of code but yes it should have been saved for next release. It can be reverted and we will learn from it. No last minute changes of this nature.

15 Likes

Testing is the answer. And I tested the last two days since Vedder wanted to get the release nailed. On Friday I found a glitch on the speed limit in reverse and reported it back, so that it can be fixed for the release. While the brakes worked just fine, some users might try to escape a backwards rolling situation by applying positive throttle. We found that it should be resolved and Vedder changed the code to allow positive throttle while rolling backwards past a defined speed limit.
I also ran full speed tests and found the hard transition from acceleration to full RPM and Vedder could get rid of this issue by implementing duty cycle current limits.

However, ultimately a thing can slip through and that is the very nature of every development in any field.
And as we speak it is resolved already.

3 Likes

Yes, it is good to admit why we messed up though because we allow a last minute change. So in the future we don’t do this and then we will be much less likely to release widespread bugs. If we need a minor bugfix then we delay the release by several days to at least get a minimum of testing, even if it slips the schedule a bit.

13 Likes

Maybe, but while you wait you find something else and you can delay things for forever.
And pre release you always go out and ride as much as you can to make sure everything is perfect. And that is the time you are likely to find a glitch. So you fix it…

Seems like Trampa is NOT on board with the Beta/Public release standard…Who would’ve guessed.

19 Likes

So you’re working underground with Ben while people reported here and on the VESC forum ?
IMO this isn’t how collaborative project such as VESC work.

6 Likes

Yes definitely, so there has to be a judgement call on if the change is worth it. Is the change worth the delay? If it isn’t you don’t make the change, if it is then you don’t release. There should be no third option.

14 Likes

Guys can you lay off Frank? Its a bit unreasonable at this point. Yes he has different views on the release cycle no need to attack him saying he isn’t testing or providing secret feedback. He has a life and kids, writing up forum posts takes a long time, hopping on a call with Ben can be more convenient. Let’s keep the discussion focused.

Trampa has contributed a ton to testing and feedback for the Vesc project and deserves some respect.

Anyways, the feedback is heard and we will avoid last minute edits in the future.

24 Likes

Sometimes Benjamin calls me to try a thing out and we happily do that. And If we find a thing I will report back. What is the problem?

1 Like

He’s also caused a lot of harm, which is why people don’t feel inclined to give him a pass when he does something stupid.

7 Likes

You’re right on a thing : I have to cool down. Sure.
Last message was maybe a bit excessive.

Jeffrey, we all have a life with many things that takes times : kids, work, others personal projects and so on.
You contributed a lot by coding awesome features. Other guys tested it heavily, updating each new beta build.
I also do publish tutoral videos, create dev tools, arrange Arduino library for VESC.
This all takes us a huge time.

However, unlike Frank, we’re not running a company that sell VESC.
This is what I deeply find unfair when we put large effort into this Beta journey and everything seems to come from Trampa, once again.

But I’m not surprised anymore since the time I had a talk with them at Paris event about the way they consider how they OWN the project (Stating this 5m away from Ben himself, cough).

Anyway, I go drink a tea and do so some meditation now. :relieved:

13 Likes

Cough, you now have support for the UNITY and STORMCORE…

7 Likes

regardless of the sentiments… I’m excited to see the new path development has been taking with firmware and VESC tool. Sure, there was a hiccup, it’s a learning process… still overall many improvements have been made in both the testing process and firmware/tool itself.

If I were Frank, I’d be excited and wanting to push this too… I don’t blame him. Seems they know what happened, will learn from it… I’ll give a pass and say I look forward to the fix and to ride the new FW… Testing version have been :ok_hand::ok_hand: for me, but didn’t get to try the latest commit. Either way, good job to everyone involved in moving us forward in a huge way.

8 Likes

Yes we all have our bias and it’s important to keep in mind I think. I do my best to remain objective but it really is impossible.

I think Trampa has done a pretty awesome job inviting me out and sponsoring a trip to kick off collaboration with Vedder. They knew I had my own projects in the works and were still extremely kind and supportive so in my eyes I think some of the bias I thought was there previously is not.

Thanks @Skatardude10 couldn’t agree with that more!

14 Likes

Playing devil’s advocate:

If FW 5 has less bugs / less severe bugs / more up to date than FW 4.02, then at least we now have something to upgrade to :stuck_out_tongue:

(Don’t take what I wrote seriously)

2 Likes

The bug is patched now and beta testing has gone very well excepting this last minute change.

I spoke with Ben and he agrees it’s probably a good idea to adopt a policy of no last minute change without an added delay so I think we are all on the same page now :+1:

23 Likes

Good to know! Gonna install it on my brother’s board then and check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

An idea. Why not getting the updates of the vesc tool through the application?

Yea would be awesome in a perfect world, but I think this type of installer would take a good amount of developer effort we are currently spending elsewhere.