VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

The reduction in power before you reach 80C is normal if you have (you should have) set the acceleration temperature decrease.
Basically it starts to thermal throttle the motor only during acceleration earlier so you are not suddenly left with less or no brakes.

8 Likes

@trampa is there a plan to release the vesc tool on iOS anytime soon?

Or are there any apps that allow you to run the android version on ios

Steve Jobs would rotate in his grave if he reads this :joy:

5 Likes

Buy better phones maybe?

7 Likes

There’s no stormcore or (good) smart bms app for android :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

@Trampa @Deodand
I have noticed issues with the Wand remote and my vesc6 having very jerky reaction , acceleration and braking , when starting the board and having the vesc tool connected while having activated the record option.
I don’t get the same issues when using the wand on my other board that also has a metr module I use for recording.

The issue is intermittent and once I get it to work it never reappears during that session. Could it be that the vesc dongle is overwhelmed under certain circumstances?

1 Like

@b264 Hypothetically speaking Brian, If the focbox v1.7 came back with 2 day delivery for 80USD but you had to own an iphone to program it. No way around it. what would you do?

3 Likes

My money is on : He gets something else

3 Likes

What do you think?

Would you buy an ESC that only worked if you wore “trendy awesome-looking shoes that are super-overpriced, and make your feet hurt really bad”?

but it looks good, yo

6 Likes

A man of principle. Much respect

1 Like

Stop being cheap and buy both !

Try to update the dongle. BV changed some code to make the connection more stable. It seams to be linked to an Android update.

1 Like

Something interesting and slightly dangerous I discovered yesterday.

In the middle of a group ride, I sheared some teeth off one of my wheel gears. I decided to remove the gear and let the motor spin freely in order to prevent any further damage.

Once I got rolling, got a bit of speed up and then eventually braked, the remaining 3 wheels locked up instantly due to the traction control.

I understand that this is not an ideal situation, but it was necessary for me to be able to ride the 20km back to the car.

Is there a way to ensure that traction control is only effective under acceleration and not brakes?

My work around was to simply unplug the free spinning motor, but this also had undesirable results. Under acceleration, the board had regular and jerky lulls in power. Quite dangerous and uncomfortable.

Setup is 4wd unity on 5.1.

4 Likes

I plan on buying a cheap Galaxy Tablet to run Stuff like METR, Neptune 10, and VESC Tool for an upcoming build.

Thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab A

Can anyone confirm how METR and The Vesc Tool look on tablet?

Edit: here’s how Metr is on the iPad Pro:

1 Like

Im fuking broke :frowning: i want an iPhone

1 Like

Vesc tool is normal in portrait. All buttons elongated compared to a tall screen. On landscape it’s just on 2 columns every setting in motor/app config, 4 dials on rt data first page and all 5 dials slightly staggered on the combined second page

1 Like

That’s an excellent point! So because 1 motor was not making contact with ground, it would stop much faster when braking, and this caused the other wheels to lock up.

So even when braking, traction control seems to be slowing down the faster moving motors, which is the opposite of what you’d want anyway! The point of ABS in cars is to not let the wheels lock up; i.e., it should speed up the slower motors, not slow down the fast ones.

4 Likes

I had some really fucky behaviour today from my esc:

Riding in a park, i came to a complete stop, then tried to accelerate and the throttle was mirrored.
And by mirrored i mean pressing forward did the full power control but in reverse, and pressing reverse did the slow duty cycle thing from smart reverse, but forward (???).
Spilled my lovely fanta lemon and launched the board motors first into a tree :frowning:

I immediately restarted the remote and it did nothing, same problem. Then by the time i opened the vesc tool and connected it fixed itself. Wtf?

After all this i tried the actual reverse function on my vx1 remote and it only mirrors the control knob. Pressing forward starts slowly reversing and pressing reverse launches forward does full power.
How is this possible?
Running fw 5.1 on 4.2 hardware

3 Likes

Are you using HFI? I have also noticed strange things like this while fucking around with HFI settings.

6 Likes

Nope. Foc and hall sensors.
I was thinking interference from the 200 more people sharing the same alley, each with at least 1 bluetooth device normally. But it doesn’t explain launching full speed backwards

1 Like