VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Benjamin also has one in his garage. We just need to wait for the BIG VESC to arrive…

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve been waiting to see what Ben is planning with the bigger stuff, super interested

So the motor is only pulling 2 amps but it’s sitting at 95% duty cycle due to the voltage the motor takes, hence why it’s going so slow. I also can’t get the second motor spinning h because the parking pawl would be engaged.

Edit: oh shit I should be able to connect the motors encoder to the vesc for full foc operation, gonna take the transaxle inside tomorrow for more testing

6 Likes

@kalebludlow what’s your plan here with this? Is this connected to mg1 or mg2 ?

1 Like

That’s a nice remote you have there

1 Like

Connected to MG1 currently as parking pawl applies to MG2 specifically (I think). You can weld some of the gears (planet and carrier? I need to find the thread with the info) to allow MG2 and MG1 to spin at the same speed. I am also able to parallel MG1 to MG2 to get some more power. I’m just doing this for fun and ensure my hardware works
Any other questions can be directed here to not clog this thread: '84 Ford Laser EV Conversion Project

1 Like

You gotta get an Axiom

2 Likes

Already have a controller. I only have ~75kw of power so no point getting a higher spec controller. The Axiom is a form of the big vescs that Frank was referring to (I think)

What type of encoder are you using?

I tried using a quadrature incremental encoder with index with the VESC 6 a while back, ended up not working because the index would end up slowly getting offset by 90°.

If it is the same kind of encoder, could I know how it goes? I would like to get it working on mine, thanks.
Good luck on your conversion project!

1 Like

Does HFI work on that motor?

1 Like

Not sure on what encoder is in it, will tell you tomorrow when I get it inside and on the bench.

@b264 that’s for tomorrow’s testing

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m guessing it is a sin/cos resolver then.

Good luck!

1 Like

Can confirm it is a sin cos resolver.

3 Likes

We need an inbetween axiom and 75/300 for ecycles and cars that arent trying to break land speed records.

2 Likes

300/75 would be more useful than 75/300. This always confused me

4 Likes

There’s tradeoffs for both high voltage and/or high current. Component selection for high voltage starts to get tricky while maintaining compatibility with the VESC’s algorithms…especially motor detection. I’ve found that bigger and higher voltage power stages will have trouble with Ben’s motor detection algorithm. Those that made the Axiom have noticed this too. The reason is pretty technical but this will hopefully be addressed.

High current gets hard to manage too. It’s pretty stressful on the components and even small imperfections in layout/design become apparent. Electromagnetically induced noise from the high currents can be quite troublesome too.

6 Likes

When i limit erpm (on both esc sides) to 50.000 in motor settings - general - rpm and cutoff start at 80% and go full throttle on the remote, the side with no receiver slowly ramps down across ~20s until complete stall, while remote side stays full throttle.
Increasing erpm to 60.000 removes this (erpm at full throttle is 52.000~). I don’t suppose this is a desired effect?

Running maker-x repaired esc, 4.10hw, 5.1fw, 2.06 vesc tool, 190kv flipsky motors, sensors unplugged, 12s battery
Edit: traction controll is off, both sides

3 Likes

Look at companies like Sevcon, they’re producing ebike and car controllers with specs that are gonna be closer to 300/75 than 75/300. I think they only go up to 144v but that’s perfect for a low end EV

2 Likes

The garbage programming for sevcon units and the $350 programming tool steers me away immediately. And kelly controllers are worse than Flipsky for QC.

3 Likes

True that. That’s why I’m trying to scale my designs up to compete with sevcon and the like. It’s just taking way longer than I thought.

6 Likes