VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

if that consists of going back, i already did.

Had some small cogging while starting (braking and accelerating) and remembered myself that i live in a place where esk8 is illegal and every sound gives me away. A small push to start won’t kill me.

1 Like

This behavior you are showing just means the start voltage routine isn’t working correctly, i.e. for whatever reason this stator isn’t saturating enough to show good signal to disambiguate the 180 degree offset. It is expected that some motors may have problems with this and settings may need to be tweaked.

If you need to be sneaky I don’t think HFI is the best choice for now :wink:

3 Likes

Yea i figured.

The setup did finally work so horray for that. Probably 30 minutes tweaking the settings would reduce it further but the stealth part definitely goes away. So sensorless foc it is for now (and probably the next few years)

awesome feature nevertheless

2 Likes

My HFI tends to work well, as long as I feather the throttle. After I get rolling, about halfway through the HFI speed range, if I give more than half throttle one of my motors will cog, reverse for a split second, and do otherwise weird stuff… is this also the start routine even though with low throttle it always seems to function mostly 100%?

1 Like

No, an idea of how the software can ameliorate cogging in HFI

1 Like

No this will be your run voltage. Might need to be tuned up a little.

2 Likes

Will this motor temp patch also get into 4.x?
I also just had over temp in the forrest.

https://metr.at/r/HWmv9?zoom_start=1270&zoom_end=1476

and lots of over current.
while running the MTO6880 at 120A.

1 Like

Yeah, if FW5 is going to be in testing for long, would love to see that fix applied to FW4 as well.

2 Likes

I pin the throttle on 6374 192kV SK3’s, HFI settings is 12V, 4V, 6V.

2 Likes

I’m having issues trying to update my Focboxes firmware, it takes almost half and hour and then I get this message:

Can anyone help me figuring out how to solve this?

2 Likes

Anybody running HFI on TBDD or Carvon?

2 Likes

I think it’s on by default, but do you have the send alive packets thing on?

if going from an old version like ack, need to update to 3.62 or similar first then 4.2
https://forum.esk8.news/uploads/short-url/pl7XgRxkQxPqqURU0qdJx9PEKdC.zip
vesc tool 1.25^

4 Likes

I’m guessing you’re upgrading from an older firmware? I had this issue going from Ack 3.103 to the newest version. But I was able to just let it sit and it did its thing over about 2 or 3 hours lol. The fix is to upgrade to an in between firmware then to the 4.xx I personally went to 3.62 (I think) and then to 4.2 and it was maybe a couple minutes lol.

Some sort of weird glitch with how it’s writing to memory from what I understand.

6 Likes

Yep, I was for a while and it was working fantastic when I first set it up with 20 start, 14 run and 14 max… but now no matter what I do I cant get it to run smooth without cogging even with those same settings I had before. It generally works alright, but only as long as I am really babying the throttle, like feather on the throttle… otherwise any more than a few amps and it will cog, reverse, skip and act super funny. I am running version 5 test firmware though, and it did work well at one point initially. It’s so nice when it works.

@tipsy, how you were talking about the little bit of cogging you get when reversing directions on HFI occasionally, that exactly what I get when I run HFI now but any time direction changes, and also any time I apply anything more than veery little throttle no matter the settings.

2 Likes

Yes, I those Focboxes have ackmaniac firmware loaded. I left it upload for like 45 minutes but got that timed out message before 30%, do you suggest you try again and let it sit for 2-3 hours?

no upgrade to 3.xx first using older tool then 4.2
https://forum.esk8.news/uploads/short-url/pl7XgRxkQxPqqURU0qdJx9PEKdC.zip
vesc tool 1.25

3 Likes

no need for it. Get yourself an older version of the vesc tool and update to it, from then use the latesz vesc tool.

Jumping from Ack to latest vesc tool takes unnecessary hours but from Ack to old vesc - to the latest vesc fw just seconds.

5 Likes

Dudes, gold. This was what happened to me. Much appreciated.

8 Likes

@eBoosted

I’m guessing some sort of usb sleep mode kicked in and that’s why it would fail I have all that shit disabled on my PC.

2 Likes