VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

I have graphs on 2.03 but the arrow keys don’t work. I had to use the remote like normal and just drive it with the trigger and watch the current levels.

Either a bug or operator error, but seemed like a bug based on what I saw. It did make a noise in the motor but never would drive it.

1 Like

ah got it. I don’t think so? Maybe later tonight i can try with your v6

1 Like

Did you disable the remote app?

2 Likes

Got a feedback from another user :
FSESC 6.6 dual
SK3 6374 149KV

Same issue : he had to increase a lot HFI values and still has cogging.

Are there some guys here who successfully set HFI up with FSESC 6.6 ?

HFI seems to require clean high frequency switching and measurements, so maybe some hardwares can’t meet those requirements? I don’t have tons of spare time right now but we are looking into this a bit. Some people are reporting issues with the new inductance measurement routine which leverages the same algorithm as HFI, and all these complaints seem to be in relation to specific hardware. All the ESCs I have here seem to work fine but I don’t have a lot of the low-budget stuff.

It will be motor dependent and battery dependent. Setting it higher than your battery voltage does nothing for you. If you run measure inductance from the terminal you can see what duty cycle induces what current.

The more duty the more induced ripple current, ripple current generates losses in the ESC and motor so more voltage makes more losses which makes more heat. Lower switching frequency, lower inductance and higher voltage will induce more current and drive losses higher.

The start voltage is only run momentarily so it won’t be a big factor. The other two will dictate more what losses you see. It is also not always true that more voltage equals better signal.

3 Likes

Also report this here because all versions of FW4 have serious problems with jumping values of parts of RT data.

Recently I had the problem with kind of thermal throtteling without hot motors and made logs. Then I downgraded to FW3.65 riding the same track ande made a log to compare.

MOTOR TEMP FW4.2

MOTOR TEMP FW3.65

With FW4+ the range of jumping motor temp value is up to 40°C

With FW3.65 the range of jumping motor temp value is just up to 3°C

:man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Ben just identified and patched this motor temp bug in 5.0. The value was bypassing the digital low-pass filter. Thanks for sharing this data.

12 Likes

This might explain why I’m getting hard cutoffs before soft ones when riding hard on my brother’s board. (motor over temperature fault) Surprised people didn’t notice this earlier…

3 Likes

So…after i tried it the last time on February 23rd i once again tried to set HFI up.

i got it to plot (finally) but it does so only for maybe 2 or 3 seconds until it stops. I can hit Full brake again but it still only runs for 2-3 seconds.

Hardware:

Flipsky v6.6 Single
SK3 192kv motor
10s pack
Tool 2.03
FW the latest it lets me install - 4.2

@Deodand

Are you holding the brake on?

1 Like

i just click once

EDIT: this is with 16v each and movement. (i just spammed Full brake so it continued.)

this is the same without movement

Hold the brake with the remote :+1:

oh really? Didn’t Jeffrey say to unplug the PWM cable and set App to None? But hey, if it helps, i’ll try

I had to calibrate without the Rx connected. Otherwise it would just tick once as soon as I clicked the Stop icon, wouldn’t whine continuously like on Jeff’s video.

2 Likes

It seems for the test where you hold the brake, it might be better to do that with a PWM remote.

But when you do the power test, using the arrow keys would definitely be far better.

I did both without the remote, just VESC Tool buttons and arrow keys with Rx disconnected.

3 Likes

the remote trick works.
@b264

how does this look to you?

this is
start 20v
run 12v
max 13v

with moving at the beginning and not turning the motor and the end.

4 Likes

The motor sometimes turns in the wrong direction when going into smart reverse.

It does 1 - 1/2 rotations until it jump back in the right direction again. Only if going in reverse.

here the general video

Sometimes when i press reverse it goes in reverse - jumps and rotates forward and then jumps to reverse again.

wrong behavior at 0:13 / 0:20 / 0:24 / 0:34 / 0:40

@Trampa

2 Likes

If this means anything about low budget stuff I have HFI working perfect on a FSESC 4.20 dual plus but it is with TB6355 190kv motors not SK3s.

3 Likes

Lower the amount of power you’re applying and see if it goes away.

I have an idea of a fix for this…

1 Like