VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

I have also wobble problems at speed and it could be the FW4.0 because I tried everything else to solve it without success. It always happens between 44-46km/h (27.3-28.6mph). Setup: Vesc6, 220kv, 1:6.25 gearing, 9".

I recorded some log files and recognized that the duty cycle seems strange. When the wobble happens the value jumps around. Blue line is speed an pink duty cycle.

Here 2 wobbles…

Here 45.72 km/h and 77.40 % duty cycle

Also 45.72 km/h but 92.80 % duty cycle ???

That’s close to 95% but there is also the wobble when it is below 85%, very strange…

19 Likes

What ESC?

Vesc6

3 Likes

I like the song choice… Same thing I’m experiencing

9 Likes

Sounds like you hit the max erpm programmed into the tool. I did also notice that Ack firmware is super smooth with that, and the 4.1 is very abrupt when you hit top speed it jerks around a lot.

2 Likes

I think the reason I’m not noticing wobbles — but I notice the very jerky max erpm backoff — is because I’m using single drive.

It looks like when one motor backs off, it speeds up the other motor because of the way the trucks are, which then causes that motor to back off and the other one reengage (because it’s now slowed down a tad) causing a feedback loop.

That’s my hypothesis, anyway.

BTW I’m using Control Mode: Current Hyst Reverse With Brake

6 Likes

One more vote for something ERPM related, since there isn’t any tuning of the speed PID for each specific board this looks exactly like and overshoot and over correct while being under dampened

1 Like

Max erpm is default at 80% off 100k. My setup is no capable of 80k, it’s below 60k erpm… 31mph would be about 45k erpm on my setup

4 Likes

Then maybe it’s simply a bug? I am also noticing this but it’s not wobbling me out like @rich’s video

2 Likes

Yes. I would say it’s non stable

2 Likes

@Trampa I’m a big fan of having specific real world examples of points I’m trying to make. This is one of those very examples.

Do you recall a certain stable/unstable discussion recently and how the lack of a dev/stable cycle can be problematic?

You have multiple users, including @rich (whom I’m particularly fond of thanks to his sweet choice in hubs and also greatly trust his experience/insight), reporting issues.

This is going to happen. It’ll keep happening. It’s part of hardware development.

Which is exactly why it should be happening as an opt-in dev branch so users have visibility & choice.

18 Likes

@Titoxd1000 really set you up for that, didn’t he? :laughing:

7 Likes

I am nothing if not a proper opportunist.

10 Likes

This thread is for the unstable trampa branch.

The stable code will be over here

7 Likes

It’s been awhile Brian. But finally, just finally I can agree with you. Let’s make out really quick… :wink:

P.S- Serious too… :kiss:

11 Likes

@rich What control mode are you using in that video?

4 Likes

This is my first foray away from the rock-solid @Ackmaniac code, and only for the HFI feature. Which, by the way, is a new “essential feature” on any of my skates :sob:

7 Likes

Well… Hopefully wobbly motor speed is too.

Because if not @Trampa will say it’s your fault anyways. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I can’t imagine any scenario where software induced speed wobbles are better than hooking up a sensor.

4 Likes

I didn’t say the HFI had to come from Trampa. Time to start the research into what’s possible.

2 Likes