VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

Just curious, isn’t a signal injected on BLDC sensorless to determinei the rotor position?

1 Like

Pretty sure its more of a stutter/pulse to get any kind of BEMF, to determine position.

2 Likes

I’ve notice some discrepancies with motor detection between the old algorithm and the new one with the quicker and more accurate LR detection. The biggest discrepancy is the L value not being consistent or being very different from the old FW. The difference is significant enough to cause non-ideal operation of the motor with lost torque and severe cogging under load. This is all been with my own hardware so that could be a discrepancy in itself. Just curious if anyone has experienced something similar or my case is isolated.

4 Likes

You mean like this?

2 Likes

For me it can be up to a 10uH difference between FW3.62 and the latest FW. Motor then runs well under FW3.62 but not newest FW. As stated before, could also be hardware differences at play.

2 Likes

4.1 “HFI” sensor mode

Control Mode: Current Hyst Reverse With Brake
sensorless ERPM HFI: 3500
Max ERPM for direction switch: 870

14 Likes

Seems pretty smooth :+1:

The high pitch sound does make it sounds like your board is ready to take off to the moon :laughing:

6 Likes

Seeing as I am accustomed to BLDC and actually don’t like the quietness of FOC, it’s unnerving to me when the HFI turns off and it’s silent as an owl

This HFI is really the only feature that could have caused me to begin using FOC…and the feature is very, very nice.

@Deodand Can’t wait for that in BLDC mode… is that planned?

9 Likes

Also I’d like to point out that this is the EXACT sound our commuter trains around here make when you’re a passenger.

3 Likes

I know :rofl:

But I asked again on purpose :kiss:

5 Likes

@DerelictRobot

1 Like

To be fair, even though there are advantages to BLDC, FOC is superior in principle. Pure sine wave is well sought after in many industries.

3 Likes

I’m literally having to dig through commits right now trying to figure out which one is actually 1.20

Why? Because I’m developing and need to validate against a previous known good and replicate exact details like firmware version for this test. But really,
it was a firmware & VESC-TOOL version that was literally released last September, and stable, it should be available for posterity and for the benefit of developer reference.

So annoying.

I’m just glad that nobody is pretending these coding practices are normal anymore. Oh wait.

11 Likes

This is the primary reason I was still using Ack 3.103 until yesterday. I could trust that it wasn’t going to chuck me off the skate due to some new bug I’m the first to discover.

But for me anyway, HFI changes everything. I need HFI, so 4.1 it is… for now…

6 Likes

It’s funny how we’re perfectly happy and satisfied with something until a new thing comes out then all of a sudden it’s not good enough :joy:

9 Likes

Progress.

1 Like

:point_up_2: key words

1 Like

The phone I once dreamed of owning is now relegated to being a backup alarm clock.

6 Likes

I used to ride BLDC exclusively as well until recently that I change to a motor which has sensors :+1:

TBH I don’t feel a look of difference between BLDC and FOC on a day to day mid speed commute except the need to kick push a little on the BLDC and the sound of BLDC :slight_smile:

But I’m happy with FOC for now :smirk:

1 Like