VESC (Stormcore 60D+) shuts off and won't turn on again until several Minutes or Hours

There’s so much dust / debris in there that something might be shorting some of the pins on the poor ESC :cry:

1 Like

how much extra cap? these need to be 30 cm tops, or well preferably.

THose should be the two white ones right?

and the bonus question, whats under all of that tape? solder ?

3 Likes

jesus christ

With all the metal shavings the reason it won’t turn on anymore might be very clear.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah I think those two white wires should be the momentary pins you should try shorting with a screwdriver.

this should be illegal.

3 Likes

This looks like potential fire just waiting to go off. My personal opinion would be to start over. Get rid of any metal shavings and loose screws. Get rid of all the electric tape and make precise connections where you need them by solder the cables together and using heat shrink. Also see if you can make the enclosure air tight so in the future dirt can’t get into the enclosure.

1 Like

what
is
this
i
can’t
even

This looks like the inside of a garden shed

1 Like

lets not hate too much on the poor guy, everybody learns somehow.

We’ll happily advice you thru a cleanup!

9 Likes

Seriously no one is gonna be willing to learn if this is how they’re treated.

No one has shared this thread yet

And this thread is a good resource for enclosure organization inspiration.

@SkateMate please forgive my friends above.

12 Likes

Ya, not a fan with a lot of the feedback some ppl in the community send. Really sucked when i started and a lot of asshole remarks when i was learning (still learning). We all werent born into this, lets help each other grow.

3 Likes

Haha, yeah pretty dumb i know. I tried cleaning it as good as possible. After sealing the box with silicone I had to to drill a couple more holes that i forgot about and ofc a lot of shavings are stuck to it now.

1 Like

Thank you!

There is shrink wrap and proper shiny solder joints beneath the electrical tape. I mainly used the tape to be able to grip connectors better and as color coding for loop key plugs, power plugs (xt90) and charging plugs (xt60). I will take the stormcore out, and clean the box with compressed air.

There is no dirt inside since the box is water-proof even worse it is metal shavings. I’ll open up the stormcore have a look at the PCB and maybe add a new layer of silicone to the box.

I cleaned up the casing, inside there were no metall shavings.

2 Likes

Yes

Looks like the problem was metall shavings that bridged the connection at the two BAT pins out of the Stormcore. The first test ride (24km) went well. I cleaned the VESCs compartment extensively.

Thanks everyone, sometimes I need someone to point out my obvious building mistakes :wink:

I’ll keep the thread up to date should another Issue arise, maybe someone else can find use in this information.

3 Likes