VESC Settings to limit speed

Which part of the VESC settings should I modify to control speed and climbing power?

12s, dual 6374 outrunners, 7in pneumy, normally it can go 40-50kph on flat and can go up hill no problems.

I want to limit the speed of the board to 25kph on flat, but would still be able to power through an uphill and reach/maintain a maximum speed of 25kph while going up.

3 Likes

In the vesc app you can add a profile with a speed and or watt limit. Look for the profiles tab.

There is no straightforward way in VESC to do this that doesn’t have some sort of major downside.

1 Like

What are the downsides of profiles?

4 Likes

It won’t limit the speed, you can coast over the max speed you set, on a hill.

(It also doesn’t work in reverse, so if you’re a switch rider it can be really dangerous.)

+1 for profiles. I use a profile for when my 7 year old rides with me. I set it to 20km/h max with toned down acceleration and braking. Has worked flawlessly for me. I only ride around fairly flat, easy terrain with him though.

2 Likes

that’s why it works.

This is good to know. Especially if i encounter a hill with my son. But I’ll just get him on the brakes so no big deal.

1 Like

As you can with any other speed limited vehicle… My car does not apply the brakes if I go over a set cruise control speed down a hill.

Switch the motor directions in VESC Tool if you plan to go in reverse, or use Smart Reverse which is speed limited. A switched stance doesn’t have to mean the board is going in reverse.

3 Likes

Riding switch in this context means going the opposite direction than you usually do, without changing your stance, or which side of the board your feet are on.

It’s not the same as the difference between goofy-footed versus regular-footed riding, because it’s ephemeral.

Typically I would not recommended to be opening a VESC Tool and changing motor settings while you are riding. This is generally an activity to do while you’re not riding the board.

Your car also doesn’t say “erpm limit”, it says “cruise control”. The erpm limit is not an erpm limit, and this is what’s changed with the profile setting.

1 Like

@xsynatic do you have any ideas on how to limit a vehicles speed using VESC?

My car does say “RPM limit” on the tachometer, and that can also be exceeded with a large enough hill.

The eRPM limit only limits when power will be applied, the same as the RPM limit, and the cruise control speed limit, does in a car.

In both cases, it is safer for the human to exceed the limit than to apply the brakes without warning.

What is it then?

For you, in your use case, maybe, that might definitely be true.

But the thread asks how to limit the speed, not how to limit the speed except when someone else thinks the speed shouldn’t be limited.

It’s also the case that someone might actually want to limit a motor speed. As-in, disallow it to spin faster. VESC doesn’t have a way to do this that I’ve found that works really well in all circumstances, in each case there are limitations and drawbacks, depending on your goals and methods.

Making assumptions can also be dangerous.

On the positive side, it cuts throttle over the limit, and doesn’t resist a higher eprm being achieved.

On the negative side, it cuts throttle and brakes over the limit, and doesn’t resist a higher eprm being achieved.

So shouldn’t there be no limit then? Why does the limit even need to exist?

Spot on.

On Esk8? Do these same people like making out with asphalt? No automatic brakes for me, thanks.

You apply brakes.

1 Like

So then there aren’t any “VESC Settings” to limit the speed, as I stated. Glad we agree. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Speed profiles can be used to limit the top speed under self driven power.

I’m not certain that moving the goalposts to some potentially dangerous, obscure use-case validates your point. It’s also not very helpful towards answering OP’s question.

In current control you are able to coast beyond your top speed down hill, and if you don’t want to coast that fast you can use your brakes. That’s the proper use case for this control method, and with this knowledge in mind it works just fine.

2 Likes