VESC "one vesc is out of date" but both updated to 5.1. HELP??!!

This is the error message I get when trying to set up my flipsky VX1 in the controller wizard. I’m totaly stuck because when I try and set the remote up by connecting to just one vesc, It will not read out my ppm mapping. Please help im just getting back into DIY ESK8 after a year and i really want to get riding again.

1 Like

vesc tools fault, not yours.

So you’ve updated the firmware on each esc, separately or connected via CAN?

restarted both?

Single esc, not connected to anything but the ppm (pwm) cable yields no readout?

2 Likes

I tried to update them together over CAM but it just kept timing out so I updated them separately. I used the latest version of the VESC tool (downloaded tonight and deleted all previous versions). They are both on 5.1 and have both been disconnected from power (after waiting 15-20s after update for safety).
PPM gives no readout, but my remote is connected via UART because it is a flipsky VX1. the Connection looks exactly like this:

ppm not giving any readings is normal then.

Did you set the vesc tool to UART instead of ppm? [app settings - General - top option.

uart does not need to be programmed like ppm

3 Likes

Okay so I double checked that it was in UART mode and it was which is cool. Still nothing. I decided to connect it via the PPM cable that i had laying around (thank god i have it im at college lmao) and I seem to be able to use it to get a PPM readout. Imma try and use the same values (start end and center) for the UART setup and hope it works. I doubt it will (wants to see a readout to let you accept settings) so I might just accept that I’m stuck without the extra reverse function :frowning: . Either way I will still have battery percentage and I was considering having boosted style controls anyway so wth why not.

1 Like

Okay so update for the only person helping me (you’re a G btw). I tested around with it, setting the pulse length values to what I found and nothing changed. I’m pretty sure UART doesn’t fu̵̻͊͠c̶̤̟͋k with anyone or at least this remote does not have a proper connection to the PPM data line or whatever its more properly called unless you connect strictly via PPM. I guess I’ll just live with it and set it to boosted board (current) mode so that I can reverse. I wanna set up HFI next because I’m on sensorless motors :frowning: and I want to have a silky smooth startup. Let’s just hope that having Torque VESC doesn’t bite me in the ass if they overheat due to FOC mode being on.

had the same issue, used PWM ever since. VX1 and focbox.
do you think tx/rx needs flipped?

I see

1 Like

That’s a great question but I don’t have the technical know-how to be able to answer that.
I think that the VX1 probably works better on vesc hardware 6. The control settings it comes with stock aren’t too far off, so perhaps it’s more of a thing that they want to be plug and play with no setup. What happened for me was that if I pulled the brake all the way, the motor would spin backward, even in current bnr. IDK if that’s supposed to be possible but I think it is using a UART connection. I’d love to get Flipsky’s piece on this but I don’t feel like trying to contact them for a useless response.
From what I can gather this seems to be a VX1/2 exclusive feature :roll_eyes:

1 Like

TX goes to TX, RX goes to RX for flipsky stuff…for some reason :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Just to be clear are you suggesting that I need to switch those two pins?

which vesc u using? TBV6? or flipsky 6.6?

if TB, then yes u need to
if flipsky, then no

I’m using a Torque V4.12. I’ve had these for years now lmao

I plan on getting a FOCBOX or similar soon

V4 hardware vs. V6 hardware requires switching RX and TX pins

Okay just to be clear the V4 needs flipping as well?

just to be clear…

the RX and the TX pins are in reversed locations from HW4 to HW6

look at the pin outs… but as frame suggests:

this is totally wrong in the real world

RX should go to TX in the real world.

what HW version is your remote configured to?

here you suggest:

and you’re attempting to connect to HW4 vesc

what I’d do is swap the two pins and check if it works

if you only swap RX and TX you won’t burn anything up

3 Likes

that’s flipsky for the world :rofl: :rofl:

but yes, flip the pins and see if it works, it won’t burn anything down if only those two are swapped

Edit: vx1 remote has no different config, the same remote works for all ppm / v4 and v6, just the receiver pin adapter is different, even the receiver is the same :crazy_face:
actually quite clever, but i don’t want to admit it

2 Likes

look at these two pin outs:
HW6

HW4

read both pinouts from the VCC or 3.3v pin

VCC
GROUND
ADC1
RX
TX

VCC
GROUND
ADC
TX
RX

2 Likes

I specifically chose the V4 remote and I have the V4 hardware vesc. how would i go about flipping the pins?

2 Likes

one side of the JST has a little plastic flap, gently pry that up slightly with an exacto blade and gently tug the wire it will come free of the JST
do the other one reverse wires and slide them in

easy peasy but if you ham-fist it and break off the plastic tab it’s not desirable

3 Likes