Vesc not working? Please help?

Nah mate those are not the voltage values for 12S. You must have either 1: not read settings from the vesc when you took the screenshot or 2: didn’t write them to the vesc when you configured it.

Fully charged 12S is 50.4v Your cutoff is meant to be at ~12x3.5 begin and 12x3.4 end

Thus: 42, 40.8

Anyway how could it just “break overnight” Surely the board was on when it broke?

3 Likes

Well, if that is true, then he had burned 180 Pounds.

2 Likes

As in I turned the board on last night to go out riding and one motor didn’t turn

Thank you @ShutterShock

Hopefully now I won’t ruin the second vesc

Lol sure just make sure you read settings from the vesc when you configure, and then write it when you finish.

I just don’t understand how it can be working fine one day and you start it the next and it’s dead. Could your phase wires have touched?

These aren’t even 4.12’s, they are 6’s which are supposed to be more resilient

2 Likes

I think he is talking about the values given from the esk8 calc

Remember to take everyone’s advice with a pinch of salt, including mine. @ShutterShock is wrong about your cut off points.

2 Likes

Wait, what? 36v is totally fine it’s a cutoff at 3v per cell. Many people here even go to 33.6v. Why would you recommend going to 42v? It’s a loss of 41% of safely available current?

3 Likes

Most 18650 data sheets rate down to 2.5V a cell so 36V for a 12s pack of Li-ion cells is fine.

For a 12s pack of Lipo’s however 3.5V is typically what’s used

yeah, I can repair vesc stuff, but for this one Iam out :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

All that I noticed was the spunk-mess on your work table. I avoid that problem by working on my boards in rubber shorts.

Talking about the wizard on vesc tool. It typically gives 36v as the cut off for 12s. Nearly a year like that on my 12s and its fine. I run it down to sag though not dead. Charge it around the 15-20% mark. @Halbj613 Wiring looks ok and you have some nice vibration proofing in there. I would say that buying second hand stuff is a bit of a lottery unfortunately. Who knows what they were put through before you got them. Anyway looks like you have some help with the rebuild with @MauveMaverick so good luck with it and well done for; 1. being very respectful and 2. Not giving up.

3 Likes

I would ship it to Trampa asap, they fix things for one day to another. If the 3.3v rail is dead, you might probably burned something else…but it is a fast repair service…Do not waist your time and shipped it, the sooner the better…Just my thoughts…

@trampa are you willing and able to try fixing I will obviously cover shipping cost and the fee To fix

Dude pick up the phone and call them.

3 Likes

Will do

Oh you know what I made a mistake, I always run Lipos in my builds, I completely forgot that he has Liion. That makes a huge difference and would make your numbers correct @MauveMaverick

Yeah yeah I realize that now haha my bad, liion not lipo

3 Likes

They aren’t my numbers, they are @Halbj613 's, I just checked them.

1 Like

Oh I thought you were the one that helped him in person, I couldn’t quite remember

1 Like

@ShutterShock He used the default numbers from the tool itself

1 Like