VESC - Motor will not start until a small kick is applied from a full stop

No it’s the hall sensor port – otherwise the VESC wouldn’t detect hall sensors. In any case it’s def the hall sensor port per this graphic:

Would the VESC still detect the hall sensors if the wires were switched? I’m wondering if I should try switching around the hall sensor wiring…maybe that’s the problem?

1 Like

No because it will track the direction during detection, as long as it’s red to red (+5v) and black to black (ground) it shouldn’t matter

Edit: the temp sensor needs to be in the right spot too, it will be orange or white

The blue/green/yellow can be any order as long as it’s in that grouping

I see. Yea that’s not the issue then. I’m stumped. i don’t get why the Torque VESC works fine with start from a full stop but the 2 Flipsky VESCs I bought from amazon only start the motor after a kick.

Couldn’t tell you man, maybe they’re just toasted

both of them? That makes no sense.

C’est la vie…could be worse though, at least they still run. You probably don’t need to kick off, just flick your hips back then forwards while holding the throttle

1 Like

Does it still do it if there is nothing on the motor (no pulley or anything)

sounds like a software issue

It’s a direct drive motor. There are no pulleys.

hmm what do you mean? I tried doing a firmware reset (all configs reset) and it begins right at the start of the motor detection wizard. After it detects the motor successfully and says there are hall sensors, when you have the screen where you press FWD and REV to check if you need to invert the motor, after pressing fwd, reverse or fwd doesn’t do anything. Motor just makes a small sound like it’s trying to move but it’s stuck.

has anyone successfully run a sensored setup on identical hardware + software?

well not sure about hardware but wondering if anyone else got hall sensors to work with the flipsky vesc?

I have a 6.6 FSESC and it runs sensored FOC like a dream even though the motors suck

sorry if it’s a stupid question, but is the Sensor Mode set to Sensored (or Hybrid) in the VESC software? Just in case!
Does it do the same in BLDC mode?
Do you see anything happening on your screen when RT App is enabled?

1 Like

Hmm – i haven’t tried BLDC mode yet. Will try later and let you know, maybe a bug with FOC?

Yes RT APP shows the voltage from the throttle so that’s not the issue (voltage goes up when throttle is pressed). I think duty cycle goes up too but need to check later.

1 Like

I’ve had lots of success using sensored FOC on the fsesc 4.12

This is a beginning troubleshooting question but just making sure, you are clicking apply once it senses the hall sensors right?

It’s possible to not apply the settings

Yes I’m pretty sure. Although I don’t remember a prompt to “apply the settings” after you run the motor detection settings – I think the wizard applies the settings automatically.

It would depend on what version of Vesc tool you are using I suppose