VESC FW 5.x - Beta Testers wanted [SERIOUS]

I’ve been banging on it for a month. Awesome stuff really.

2 Likes

It has been merged into the main branch, so I believe downloading from the ‘My Purchased File’ now?

Am I right? @malJohann

1 Like

This is interesting, I tested multiple betas of VESC 5.0 firmware, not all of them, but still, had no issues.

Now after it was promoted to stable, my PPM remote doesn’t trigger acceleration. Only when I engage it 100%, after some seconds motors starts spinning like crazy

FOCBOX Unity
Mini Remote, PPM_CTRL_TYPE_CURRENT_SMART_REV
6354 SK8 motors, Hall Sensors

:see_no_evil:

Reverting this single commit solves the issue for me

I don’t think this change was given enough time for testing as it was made just yesterday. I wonder if it impacts more setups than just mine.

6 Likes

I use current control with brakes, but then also not running sensors so…

It has been released without even testing last commits ?

Shit, I just found a weakness on COMM_SET_MCCONF_TEMP and couldnt’t have time to discuss about that !

8 Likes

Changed in the next hours… It is only an issue in combo with smart reverse.

This is my to do list for a long time, but haven’t got the time yet

I even have a spreadsheet kind of ready to make easy for use to see if there is indeed a problem or just perceived. I think it is due to the fact that if your are on the edge of what your board can climb at speed, you can’t do it at slower speeds, meaning the torque drop off with lower speeds for the same current

Yes it’s probably the best way to test that

1 Like

So are we still beta testing? Because having no throttle on Beta9 with Current Control No Reverse with Brake was a bit odd. I thought this was supposedly only an issue with PPM and Smart Reverse?

1 Like

There is no more beta testing as this version has been released to production. But bug reports are always good

1 Like

Just wondering whether this thread shouldn’t just continue to cover testing of minor releases too.

I feel like this thread will keep going. there will always be more development happening and always be new things to test.

Although interestingly there is no development branch in the Git repo any more. Wonder if BV is planing to delete it and create a new one from the master each time we get a major release. seems like an odd way of doing things.

2 Likes

I asked it him.
He took a break from the VESC FW dev for now (which is totally understandable).
But as far I understood, he wants to keeps that beta/release process.

Things will setlle gently by themself.

IMO, this thread can keep goind. There will be other beta testing to perform.

4 Likes

yep. I see @NuRxG is still busy submitting PR’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have one pending but I’d prefer PR it when a dev repo will be available.

4 Likes

Mine don’t break anything, i swear :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah we will open a new dev branch again when changes start getting made. I think when you merge the branch in it is automatically deleted.

6 Likes

You have to manually delete a branch (git branch -d IIRC)
But it makes sense to delete once merged.

One “dev_fw_5_x” could be nice.
Also, it would be great to open it from now, as others contributors may want to PR already. :+1:

4 Likes

Latest VESC Tool (FW5.1 macOS, Windows 10 with BLE) https://github.com/rpasichnyk/vesc_tool/releases/tag/v2.05

13 Likes