VESC Cooling methods

Hey, I thought ill open up a thread for gathering info and discussing on VESC cooling.

3 Likes

Do you mean VESC-based ESCs?
Trampa VESC™ doesn’t overheat xD

5 Likes

Yes :slight_smile: the Flipshit ones especially!

2 Likes

Vescs with plastic covered mosfets (most 4.xx escs) are more challenging to cool than ones with direct fets (e.g Focbox)

Generally, like @mmaner has said before, active cooling generates condensation or requires liquid; so most users tend to either add thermal mass or passively cool their vescs by adding thermal mass which is partially exposed to the outside.

This thread will be of interest

3 Likes

Thanks, I already read through it!
I would love to watercool a VESC just for scientific purposes. Sadly I only dealt with AIO water cooling systems before…
What am I missing in my shopping cart, do the parts even fit? :

Kook I know it’s a bad idea, but please let me just have fun xD
I don’t care if it will even help cooling a lot.

buys cheap VESC-like-crap
spends 10x the cost attempting to polish the turd…

:man_shrugging:t4: :man_shrugging:t4: :man_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

I don’t even attempt to polish the turd…
This is going to fail before I even start trying sir.

3 Likes

then may I be so bold as to ask why?

1 Like

Just to experiment not to achieve better performance. For better performance I would need to desolder the MOSFETS, because their heat goes into the pcb and can’t be taken off effectively …

It’s like cooling a PC with vodka.
You don’t ask why

Yeah it’s a shitty idea to a full 100%

I might just forget about it :confused:

The biggest problem is the shitty 3/3 placement of the FETs on 4.12 VESCs and that their heat can’t be simply dissipated by adding cooling because the heat goes to GND if I understood right

3 Likes

Erm… go cheaper, there’s full loops on amazon already primed with liquid and come with the pump as well for under £50

1 Like

But with a cpu cooling head thing and as an AIO, right?
We need a head like this to work with:

1 Like

If i assume right that’s not the pump and you intend to use that reservoir higher up as well. That won’t really work

1 Like

Sorry, I dont get what you mean ^^
A pump is included with the reservoir

Yeah, water cooling is obvious over-engineering. But I should state that sometimes additional cooling is required, mostly due to the bad setup.
For example, I’ve started getting overheat problems, since I’ve changed 12t pulley to 18t one (@ 270kv motor).
Not a while ago, I thought about having radiators on both sides of the 4.xx vesc, with ribs perpendicular to the board direction, and having a printed air intake (for example, on the right wall of the enclosure), so it turns the airflow by 90 degrees, goes through the vesc and goes out on the left side.

2 Likes

But it’s all senseless if there’s no way to dissipate the heat from the MOSFETS effectively…

We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For esk8 science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the esk8 community occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war. I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of water cooling any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that water cooling can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours.

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in esk8 as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why, some say, water cooling? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to water cool. We choose to water cool in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
–@Niklas (with a little help from JFK)

3 Likes

I cool mine with a heat sink.

6 Likes

I think that’s the most rewarding solution… Passive cooling in order to increase thermal mass and then let the wind do the rest…

Anyway, I would love just to do it. Just to say: Wow I did that. Maybe water cooling will become a standard for VESCs some day. 50 years in the past nobody would have said to cool your PCs electronics with water, look where we are today.

3 Likes

By the way vodka cooling is not that bad as you might think. It is less conductive than water (if at all), so safety aspect is much better here

From Russia with love vodka

2 Likes