VESC Cooling methods

Well, how in the world do you fit that reservoir. It needs to stay upright doesn’t it?
This is dirt simple.
You need some copper/aluminium blocks to connect and glue the mosfets to the cpu pad somehow and 12v

1 Like

12V is no problem, but i see problems with your idea of converting an AIO to match a VESC… Why don’t build one by yourself all together then?

So can anyone confirm that these parts should theoretically work together?

Bro your guess is as good as ours - any pc water cooling enthusiast would buy from real companies and not Ali, so I doubt anyone knows lmao

2 Likes

have a look at rc boat/car water cooling

1 Like

With that kind of capacity you’ll reach thermal saturation pretty quick - liquid cooling is good to absorb sudden spikes in temp but for continuous heat they’re not that suitable unless you have a large reservoir or radiator

1 Like

i find a heatsink helps me to never exceed around 60-70deg C

4 Likes

What if there is a leak mid-ride? Also, a radiator + pump + water is heavy af
More component = more failure point, I would rather not risk it.
By the time u have fine tuned this specific config to be perfect, you would have spend more than just getting a top tier vesc (be it vesc or “vesc”)

just my 2c

2 Likes

Correct - Also @Niklas you’re missing a shit ton of information by just showing us those titles and pictures for instance “yes they will work together theoretically” is the answer but “realistically, i have no idea because, I dont know if the Water Block and the Radiator are the same metal (long term problem), I dont know what size threads, or fittings the water block or radiator will use/need and so on.”

Yes - this is probably a better idea but most RC Boats I believe use a Pickup line rather than a pump. RC Car - I have Nitro so its all air cooled :smiley:

@Niklas Really, if you want to plan on doing water cooling on a controller you aside from the novelty. I’d ask the question: “for what reason” if the answer is “shits and giggles” then sure go for it, there are plenty of PC Enthusiast forums around that will likely have similar builds from AliExpress with warnings of their own merit regarding X, Y or Z. But those topics and threads will likely resolve your questions regarding compatibility.

If the answer is “to enhance performance” between the engineering, additional space requirements, and complexity I would say just get a better controller as most have already said.

1 Like

Flipsky stays warm with heatsink outside enclosure. If yours controller become hot, you need more mosfets.

1 Like

My china VESC water cooling :cold_face::

Final:

3 Likes

Looks very good!!!
Where’s your pump and reservoir?

1 Like

for building an efoil/ jetsurf, do not need a pump and reservoir :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey I did a little test of the 4.12 vesc. Take it as it is!! I just did this when we were on lock down with nothing todo

I used 2 Alternators modified to run as motors! Good thing about them is you can adjust load very easy by adjusting the Field windings On the load motor. You can do the same for the driving motor which changes the kv of the motor

1 Like

Already watched in YouTube! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anyone mention using flat copper heatpipes (like the ones used in laptops) they can be found for relatively inexpensive on aliexpress. They act as miniature vapor chambers and have incredible cooling performance if used properly.

I have no experience with the ones off Aliexpress but I’m curious as to how they perform.

A vapor chamber is probably the best way to burn off excess heat in a sealed enclosure without having to fit a heat sink externally, i wonder if even just a thin flat copper heatpipe would be enough to keep temperatures under control.

I personally have no issues with temperatures on my direct fet builds they rarely hit 50 under 50 minutes of non stop riding, I’m also fairly light and from canada so temps are a non issue for me.

4 Likes

I pulled a old laptop apart but is was the wrong size. Would be interesting to find one the right size as they are nice and compact. I made 2 Aluminium Blocks with 10mm copper pipes running through them and pumped water around them, I got around 50amps continuous but did something stupid and blow the vesc up shortly after lol

1 Like