Venom's Dream Build

Was shocked to realize that the last board I built (Space Invader :space_invader:) was back in 2020 :exploding_head:. I slapped together a loaded unlimited board but it was already 75% complete so that doesn’t count. Got me thinking…

What would I build today if I wanted to make a new baby?

Mystery Baby
Deck MBS DWIII
Trucks MBS Matrix III - 12mm X 420mm - Mountainboard Truck - Charcoal — MBS.COM
Bushings White shock blocks up front, orange in the rear (dyed black)
Hubs MBS Fivestars
Tires MBS T2 9"
Bindings MBS F5s
Motors Whatever runs cool and gets me a top speed of 55mph works
Drive System Those shexy @ApexBoards jump drives :drooling_face:
ESC Something non explodey that can take some heat. @Skyart’s escs seem to be the new hot girl right now, time will tell (rooting for you bud)
Battery Max S count that aforementioned esc can handle 100% reliably. I’m too pretty to street face. Max P count that I can fit in a box that only looks sliiiightly ridiculous. Best cells available, money is never a factor when it’s a dream build. Last board was a 12s8p of 20650s and is quite sufficient.
Enclosure Someone was making some nice looking top boxes recently that were black and blue and had a mountain or wave logo iirc. That or @ShutterShock’s upcoming top mount most likely
Remote @zyb’s new dual trigger remote. Split trigger is supreme, loss of signal is not. Maytech worked great 99% of the time. The other 1% was brown pants. Would love to try this new one out ASAP.

Now if only I had the time to build it. Thank you for coming to my build talk.

18 Likes
  • 1 @ShutterShock enclosure system for batteries. Makes flipping your board or transport way easier being able to remove and snap back into place easily.
4 Likes

Where can I learn more about this battery enclosure system?

Gonna have to bug him since I’m sworn to secrecy :joy:

But you did see it at carve last year.

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting to see someone do a DWIII deck esk8 build. Beautiful board.

I second this build @Venom121212 - please proceed with 18s p42a and perhaps consider 4wd on 6355’s

I would also suggest the @JoeyZ5 enclosure as a solid alternative

Edit: goddamn I miss having a workshop to build esk8’s. I’m doing a mountain board next when I have space to build again.

7 Likes

giphy

I second 4wd, should be good for thermals. Jump drives definitely shexy af.

3 Likes

4wd is always an option but adds a lot of beef for mostly thermal gains from spreading the torque out. If the torque isn’t enough at whatever gear ratio/kv setup I end up on, it’ll be an easy add.

Trying to reduce my quiver as a lot of my boards have been made redundant. Just need:

1. Fuck about board that I can hit speed with, run offroad, and go the distance all in one ride
  2. Buttery smooooooth urethane longboard for those perfect paths and quick neighborhood trips. Loaded board checks this box.
  3. Compact short board I can throw in a bag/trunk/shopping cart. Got a lovely Hosoi Hammerhead setup on some reflashed banshee hubs. The metal enclosure underneath gives such peace of mind.

@Shadowfax I know you don’t make it over to the east coast often but if you need parts shipped to a garage work space to await your arrival, just know I gotchu.

6 Likes

Definitely feel like for your do anything go anywhere top mount is the way to go. I need to convert my commuter/off-road to a top mount style, eyeing that ZFG combo.

The split trigger is nice, but I prefer the single trigger. Right now it’s the brake trigger which throws me off a bit, more effort to go fully down. I think @2xbass was making a new brake lever?

Im ordering a set today, I’ve had enough of my moon drives.

2 Likes

I did start on this and never finished it and in the meantime I got used to the standard brake trigger as I’m now using the z.mote double trigger on all my boards.

4WD anything blows away 2WD anything else. My 4WD mountain board currently has four 6355s with Jump Drives and I’m driving 10" tires and I can never get it to even break a sweat. Typically never pulls more than about 20A per motor and that’s only like full throttle up steep hills on loose terrain or in really crazy off-road terrain. It’s typically far less and yes thermals for ESC and motors is just nothing at all. Especially with Jump Drives, the efficiency is impressive. My 4WD Jump Drive board gets about half the consumption of my buddy’s 2WD belt-drive Trampa and my motors run about 25 - 30C cooler.

4 Likes

The time is almost nigh my friend. After a year of testing, I’ve got to make a couple final improvements and it will be out soon.

@Venom121212 thanks for considering my product! The other guy you are thinking of is Core MTB from Austrailia.

As for the top mount box, biggest battery I have deployed in one is 12s8p from @Sobrik3t - seems to be holding up quite well. My own one that’s been going for a year and a bit has a 12s7p. Recently just deployed two 12s6p’s in the alternate shape. Looking to have all this posted first week of August. Going on vacation next week and don’t want to open before I leave lol

My major gripe with 4wd, despite the torque and braking, is how much of a pain in the dick it is to set up. If you do it, go split ppm. canbus can eat a dick

Oh, and it’s heavy as shit

2 Likes

For high Speed , I would definitely use aluminum cnc milled hubs. Not plastic. Alu have more robust designs, bigger mass and should not be bended or deformed becouse of injesction production processes. So should be more stable. Iam using mbs rockstar plastic but for off-road jumping board.

1 Like

Man that just supports the 2wd argument even more. Been offroading like a mofo for years pulling 110A+ per motor :rofl: I’d cry if my motors were only pulling 20A.

I could try the new mbs hubs but the fivestars have taken everything I’ve thrown at them and then some. They’re significantly lighter while still letting me go bigger on tires. Top speed I’ve hit on them is 46mph so I doubt a few more rpms would kill them. Time will tell!

3 Likes

Can confirm. They sit well on here.

Shorter 400mm trucks with the longer axles.

5 Likes

Good to know on the trucks vs axle length. My toes touch the wheels on my matrix 2s with 9" tires so I was hoping to widen out just a bit.

1 Like

Spill the tea?

1 Like

Not much to say. Finicky wheel adapter, gears breaking free of threadlocker, no replacement parts, no customer service, etc