Veiftech - DIY upgraded Leiftech V2

itz back

and I actually am ready to upgrade the motors because I finally ordered the new wheels

my wheels were believe it or not, worse than @b264’s

3 Likes

Actually it should be possible to use hm10 with fw5, you just have to add a few bits of code
https://vesc-project.com/node/474
here’s a guide. I will try to follow it and recompile the firmware with the added stuff once my board is working.

2 Likes

interesting, I bet that would be useful for some folks!

I’m going to eventually go all freesk8 on all my boards.

1 Like

What constitutes false advertising?

Showing a stone ground wheel when you get a normal one is not cool :thinking:

2 Likes

They just have not updated this product page since the v2??

The keyless V1 wheels could spin the axle inside the hub so I hear, that sounds really bad… Glad I missed that pothole

1 Like

Actually it was a combination of me ordering the new wheels so i was going to tear the board all the way down and this dude requesting the exact thing I was planning on making my own version of for better center wheels.

Made sense to make the model now before I put it back together and keep riding haha.

I guess maybe I can get some of the upgraded version he mades with his dad, or they can help me make my version for wider center wheels.

4 Likes

designing the upgraded parts for wider center wheels.

proper 50mm motors too probably

3 Likes

I think a good aftermarket product to make for the v2 would be a separated plastic housing out of higher quality material, aluminum for the structural part below the pivot pillow bearing.

and possibly a bash guard that covers the slip ring. An additional idea I had was to add a cheap slew bearing or a rubber gasket to seal the slip rings.

It kinda all wraps up into a single replacement part, the main challenge would be matching the concave of the deck which is not reflected in my current model.

1 Like

Interesting

2 Likes

This tells me I need some adjustment somewhere, because the brushes that go in that space are supposed to be 4mm tall, and they should be compressed very little to none when the axle is centered. It relies on a few degree slop in the pivot bearing caused by weight on the offset wheel to allow one set of 3 brushes to get extremely good contact at all times even when they are not perfectly adjusted. That set of 3 is compressed below 4mm, where they are supposed to be set when doing maintenance.

1.5mm wrong somewhere

2 Likes

wow a 50mm motor fits in there perfectly, the stock 5045 motor specifically fits between those two motor plates so it could be completely enclosed.

I would rather go with the cutout and a 50100 tho

Wait does nobody make 50mm motors longer than 65mm??

3 Likes

This is essentially “my manufacturable” version of this:

^they made this all into one solid piece somehow with like laser welding.

I changed that stepped shaft into a solid shaft with a spacer.

the bolts heads just barely fit hopefully

So this would be the main complex part to make.
forgive the terrible corner cutouts, I have no idea what I’m doing

4 Likes

I have some ideas for how to make the wheel be on a live axle (shaft) using a very DIY approach and how to make bearing blocks using a half 3d printed part.

too tired to explain will edit in here

Those corner cutouts could make it easier to machine. It may not, but it could, if you could increase the diameter of the smallest endmill needed to machine it.

1 Like

Those cutouts don’t need to be nearly that deep I think I’m just not sure how to draw that exactly at the moment

definitely not getting a wrench in there haha so need to be a stuck nut or however you call it

2 Likes

Constrain the center of a circle to the corner, extrude a cut with only the part of the circle that’s over the material

I’ve been following this topic with interest, you are doing some cool stuff here bro.

3 Likes

Thanks dude! I am having quite the kick in motivation recently with ordering a 3D printer an all. Time spent modeling the leiftech v2 was very rewarding and I really need to save up for a SBX so it can give it the same touch with the ol’ calipers :grin: :nerd_face:

I’m gonna need the same model with the SR360 for when I’m adding it onto the 5-X

When the 5-X truck are in stock on freebordeurope.com you need to make a video of trying them out on your SBX!!

1 Like

Yeah I’m planning to switch my whole setup to a freebord 5 if I’m honest, deck, bindings and trucks!

1 Like

everything is fine

Those inside corners are going to make that really expensive. See if you can design it without those. You can’t cut those with an endmill.

3 Likes