variESC Tool [SRO]

This was the only SKU on mouser that even had a shipping date.
For reference, many other ARM Cortex M4s from STMicro are due around December or March of next year.

The reason why it is impossible to port VESC to a different MCU is because the entire FOC update loop is thrown into one function, the ADC conversion complete ISR. There was no attempt made at basic code abstraction.

4 Likes

Brokers bought them and they still sell them, just at triple the price. It’s still possible to get STMs, just at a very sky high price. Coding a support for different chips + changing the PCB layout, prototyping and testing will take longer than just waiting for stock or it will be more expensive than purchasing at triple the price.
Markets are crazy at them moment…

1 Like

@Gamer43 how’s development on your your VESC competitor going? Haven’t heard any updates in a while.

1 Like

my friend has a lacroix proto with 2 focboxes
1 of his motors stopped spinning (did a hand test and seems that the motor is fine)

i tried updating the focboxes to a more recent firmware but everytime i did it would say that firmware has been updated but when i reconnect it would stay on the old firmware
tried updating bootloader also but no luck

is it bricked?

If it’s a prebuilt, I’d contact the manufacturer.

Did you try to do it wired with USB for each ESC and not through CANBUS?

1 Like

yep each esc alone on usb

its prebuilt

also forgot to say one of them wont connect at all
the other has the issue mentioned above

What did the manufacturer say?

1 Like

sent a message to lacroix about it but dunno
what could you suggest it may be?

this isn’t the thread for it. and I don’t remember the answer. but i’ve seen this problem around over the years.

something about either upgrading to intermediate firmware versions, or reflashing bootload and/or firmware using ST-link. ( either from working vesc in st-link progammer mode, or with dedicated st-link progammer)

happy searching. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are four braches on variesc github repo. The stale branches are seem to be newer. Which one should be used, when?

Are they be compatible with the focbox unity first released hw series?
Thank you

branches;
main build 5.02 jan21
ver3.01 jan21
dev build 5.02 jan21
s3p build 45.00.beta3 june21

The main branch is what has been released.

1 Like

Are there still updates being released for this or is it considered feature-complete?

If I needed to release an update, I would, but I have been using 5.2 a lot and it’s still working great.

Is there a specific issue?

Nope, if this supports the D75 and works with metr I’ll definitely be giving this a go.

1 Like

@b264 does the super single work for stormcores or just unity?
An emoped project fell in my lap andd this would be handy to upgrade it untill i can fully upgrade it to hv/vesc

1 Like

In theory the Stormcore duals have this ability but I haven’t gotten it to work yet.

2 Likes

Dosnt work with SC unfortunately. I tried it with him and now I have 1 less Stormcore. I was honestly expecting the thing to die because the firmware was untested, so I don’t mean to throw shade, Brian was very helpful, but thats what happened.

what does duty cycle do

Duty cycle

A duty cycle control mode in the application settings will act like a sort of speed control instead of something like a power control. It would be extremely undesireable to use on an esk8. It has some uses for industrial machines.