uSplit - UART Splitter for VESC-based ESCs

The sample part arrived today :partying_face: All solder joints look good and it functions properly so Iā€™ve given them a go on the rest of the parts :smiley:

@magharees, @stan, @Kalitapaws, @pacificmeister, and anyone who has reached out through PMs about getting one of the uSplits, as you probably know, all of the first batch is claimed atm. However, since I just got the PCBs for v1.1 HW I am thinking that I can hand solder up some of those for people who want uSplits before I order more assembled boards. This would give me a good sized group of testers for the v1.1 HW and allow me to verify that the updates didnt introduce any issues.

The changes made in the v1.1 HW are very minor:

1. Resistors were added in series with the UART RX and TX signals to protect the ESC and other connected devices from damage if the uSplit happens to become powered when the other devices are not. This is an unlikely scenario since the uSplit is powered from the comm port of the ESC, but it is still a possibility.

2. The ā€œbootā€ button was replaced with a circuit that automatically puts the uSplit into bootloader mode when a USB cable is connected.

I will get a survey going to collect everyoneā€™s info for the hand soldered v1.1 uSplits if people are interested in that.

11 Likes

Yes please! :smiley:

1 Like

Oh man, Iā€™d so love one. My only issue atm is I donā€™t have any other UART devices yet, so my testing ability wonā€™t be as much use.

Iā€™d rather you able to get those to people thatā€™d be able to help you right now.

Thanks though!!

1 Like

Yes please, I would like one of these hand soldered v1.1s. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks @Ricco! Yes would love to get a hold of one to split a ble and a screen.

1 Like

I am in for v1.1

1 Like

Oh yes please! I am also looking forward to get one to test a screen and a bluetooth module at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response everyone. Here is the survey link for purchasing v1.1 HW:

EDIT: survey is closed

The main difference between these and the main batch would be that this is still in the ā€œtestingā€ phase and that this is assembled by you, by hand?

1 Like

Yes. just to state it clearly, there are two differences:

1. Since these have slightly different HW (see above) that testers havenā€™t used yet, they are in the testing phase like you said
  2. The they are assembled by hand

The SW is exactly the same so there is no difference in functionally from that standpoint.

5 Likes

Hello @Ricco ! Do you already have an idea of when we will have to pay for the first batch ? I filled the survey long time ago but never had any confirmation that it was taken into account :slight_smile:
And Matt, can you, please, give us a list of the people and the quantities in the first batch so everyone can be sure all is ok for him/her/it and on a good way. Thank you !

Loving the minor changes shows how mitch thought has gone in to it. Did the 5v and 3.3v rails get protected? This might be a stupid question what would happen if a connection vibrates louse in use would it brick any thing?

Asking because just found out iv got my 2nd dead VESC due to 5v rail death.

1 Like

If you filled out the survey, you were taken into account. The survey was closed at 49 requested units. I got tracking for the first batch of uSplits two days ago :smiley: Estimated delivery says today, but it just left Hong Kong, so I doubt that lol Once I receive them, Iā€™ll take a couple days to program, test, and package them. Then, I will talk to everyone who filled out the original survey to get payment and get them sent out :slight_smile:

@Darkie02, Thanks for the support :blush: What type of protection would you like to see on the 5v and 3v3 rails? I do not believe there is any scenario where a connector vibrating loose would brick anything. The 3v3, GND, RX, and TX signals are the only signals used by the uSplit. The other signals are connected directly to the same pins of the other connectors, acting like a Y-splitter cable. What was the cause of the 5v rail deaths you experienced?

2 Likes

1st one was the ground of the metopro torching part of the Battry pack when I was testing a board so totally my fault.

2nd one unsure as it was a VESC 6+ Tampa told me today the 5v rail died as to why was only powering metro pro and a remote, my conser would be the fact it could be powering 3 other devises and a usplit could be overloaded unknowingly so some type of auto resetting overload protection

Donā€™t even know the kind of loads some of the UTAR devises pull

The vibrating lose can have VESC apply full brake on canbus and old foxboxes brick if can disconnected in use was unsure if this issue could happen on the UTAR in any way

The uSplit will come wrapped in heat shrink, so the connections will not be exposed. That takes care for the possibility of things touching it and shorting out.

To protect the 5v and 3v3 rails, I could add resetable fuses to them both. I looked yesterday for some options and a well suited fuse costs $0.88. So adding this protection to the uSplit would increase the cost by $1.75. That fuse would trip almost immediately when 1A is drawn, wont trip ever for a draw less than 500mA, and will trip increasingly faster between 500mA and 1A.

The only time the throttle would be affected by UART vibrating loose is if a remote is operating in UART only mode. I do not condone the use of UART only remotes with the uSplit. Even in that case, the ESC should timeout once the cable is disconnected and let the motor free-spin.

2 Likes

The first batch of assembled uSplits arrived today! :heart_eyes: Iā€™ll be testing them, packaging them up, and contacting those who filled out the survey over the next few days :blush:

8 Likes

I have now reached out to everyone that filled out the first and second surveys and have shipped out most of the 50 units.

Right now I have 2 uSplits left to be sold. If you would like one, please DM me.

The price is $30 per uSplit + shipping, tax, and paypal fees

5 Likes

I just posted FW v0.7 to the uSplit downloads page of my site. This FW fixes a couple known bugs in the uSplit FW. Anyone that has recently purchased the uSplit should follow the instructions here to update your uSplit. If any other issues are found, PM me with details so I can start on those :slight_smile:

6 Likes

is the MCU mulitplexing known vesc commands and responses between the uarts? or is it multiplexing or duplicating individual bytes. whatā€™s the strategy to avoid mixing up incoming and outgoing messages?

I donā€™t want to give too much away as the FW is what makes the uSplit what it is but I will say that it handles the comms on a packet-by-packet basis, not byte-by-byte :slight_smile:

2 Likes