uSplit - UART Splitter for VESC-based ESCs

Hey mate. Spoke to Glyph and he sending me a replacement one to use.

1 Like

Hey mate. Did tou want me to send this one back to you or to Ricco ?

1 Like

If you can arrange to have that one sent back to @Ricco that would be awesome thanks mate.

The replacement went out express this afternoon :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I updated the firmware.
The previous firmware that came with it was this

Now it’s v0.14

I’ll give that test see if there’s any other freezing

2 Likes

Hopefully you got it sorted man.

1 Like

Cheers mate. Once Ricco lets me know where to send it i will.

2 Likes

Thanks! looks like I will be picking up a VX4.

Just a clarification. The current FW version actually cannot be read using the BOSSA tool. I believe the “version” that the tool was displaying was the manufacturing info of the SAMD21 micro. THe closest the BOSSA can do to checking the FW version is “verify” which compares the FW on the device to the FW select in the file browser.

Hopefully the v0.14 FW does improve your experience, but if not, I will have the same setup as you soon and should be able to weed out the bug you are coming across.

@Hoddz DM sent

2 Likes

Ok. no worries, I’ll let you know

1 Like

Sweet. Dm received mate. Will post out as soon as i get the chance.
Hopefully the new one works sweet.
Should i update before i try it or try if first and see.

1 Like

Is there any way this could work with a Voyager remote and Davega x?

You should not use a remote with a uart splitter. It’s dangerous and not recommended

1 Like

At least not for the control signal.

1 Like

Are you running a single or dual ESC setup? Unfortunately, it doesnt look like the Voyager has the ability to do PPM & UART mode where only the telemetry is sent over UART, so you would not be able to use the uSplit to run both the remote and DAVEga X over a single port.

1 Like

The uSplits @glyphiks has are flashed with FW v0.13 (v0.14 is latest) which should work for your application. You can update before testing for good measure, but it shouldn’t be required to get things working. The only change in v0.14 is support for an additional baud rate setting.

2 Likes

Cheers @glyphiks usplit arrived Friday and is working fine. Plugged in and didn’t update or anything and it works straight away out of the box with the older fw.
I am still getting issues with my maker bt receiver saying check fw version via the ios vesc app. But honestly i don’t do much thru that besides check when i have any dramas or issues when riding. I have my vx4 remote running thru it for telemetry and control is set up to ppm. And the maker bt receiver.
I went for all up 55km ride with no freezes on the telemetry on the remote or issues. The bt receiver as i said is annoying but honestly if i pull the loop key and have remote off it will connect but then will disconnect after a few seconds it wont connect at all when remote is turned on. Ios vesc app will find the board and connect briefly then come up with the update fw every time.
I did however check that both my rx/tx were wired in the same for the maker bt and vx4 as for this did give me some dramas at first i know the usplit has auto sense of rx tx but if either are running different to each other i had the remote freeze.
@Ricco i posted the first usplit back today.

2 Likes

Seems the firmware update fixed mine and as Hoddz mentioned everything plugged in rx/tx must be connected the same configuration this has fixed my random freezing and it now boots perfectly with the charger plugged in.

3 Likes

Glad to hear most of your issues are resolved with the new uSplit!

I will have to get a maker BT reciever to try debugging this.

@me_ashman , awesome! Really glad your issues are all sorted now :grinning:

3 Likes

Question, do you have 2 connect all 7 plugs or can you do “just” RX-TX-5V-Gnd because my MakerX G300 has a uart port which i use the Spintend Input box directly and then a RX-TX-5V-Gnd port which I will use for Davega and Bluetooth module.

Sorry for the delay, I missed the notification for your post. The pins that are required to be connected between the uSplit and the ESC for it to work are RX, TX, 3v3, and GND. The uSplit is powered off of 3v3. When using the uSplit with devices that are powered off of 5v, then that pin is required as well.

In your setup, you could splice the 3v3 wire from the other UART port to power the uSplit if you require one.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply exactly what I needed :slight_smile:

3 Likes