Using LED Driver as a 12s Charger

I’ve ordered 3 of these now… they’ve never made it to me :sob:

2 Likes

To the meanwell driver does the proper CC/CV if the voltage is set correctly, I set this with with a multimeter. If you get it wrong then the BMS over voltage kicks in anyways so it’s not super critical.

I use llt power smart BMS which includes the charge timeout cutoff once the pack is full and this is configurable.

If I change the current I just open the BMS app and look at the charge current as I turn the adjust.

I’m a year into using this charger now and it’s been great. Very reliable and it’s taken some abuse. Don’t recommend using a barrel connector like I did but other than that I have had no issues.

I just wish they did an equivalent in the 16-20s voltage range

2 Likes

Very helpful! Thanks. I’ll order one tonight.

1 Like

This thing is fantastic!

5 Likes

Is this the one you are talking about?

https://pt.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/HLG-320H-48A?qs=DNaZHaGatO1l2zLlETsFag%3D%3D

I also found this one but it has a B
https://pt.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/HLG-320H-48B?qs=DNaZHaGatO3I17c08YAcZw%3D%3D

And is more expensive so I was wondering what is the difference between the two

1 Like

A = has pots for voltage and current adjustment
B = led dimming feature ( you don’t want that)
AB = both features together (ok, but cost more)

3 Likes

Only buy the A variant. It is the one you need.

4 Likes

Already done
It cost me 88€ but for what I’ve seen, it was the cheaper option without coming from China

Hey guys
Do any of you know this meter?
Is it any good?

I am thinking of buying it to put him in my led driver output to be able to monitor it

2 Likes

The slower you charge cells the longer they will last
Also charging each cell to 4.1 will also increase battery life.

This power supply is really good you can limit current and it Measures capacity.

RD RD6006 RD6006W USB WiFi DC - DC
On Allie. Express.

2 Likes

That one is too big for what I want
I want to have a all in one charger that I can take every were so I was looking for a small meter to attach to my HLG-320H-48A
I have a LLT smart BMS on the way so can control the charging with him
I just need a good and precise meter that isn’t too expensive

Here did you get your LLT bms?
I order mine from Hong Kong, and the customs here is asking 65€ to clear it, it’s more than what I paid for it…
Is the any seller in the EU that sells them?

@EboardSolutions have them

https://electricboardsolutions.com/collections/battery/products/llt-smart-bms-10s-12s-with-bluetooth?variant=32370675056675

2 Likes

@ApexBoards sells them in the uk at

4 Likes

Was back looking at the spec for the Mean Well HLG

I just noticed the Ripple Noise up between the 42V/48V and the 54V By 100mV 40% is a large increase. considering the low ripple noise is one of the reasons these are seen as good quality I’m surprised by the jump.

Voltage range is not consistent acros the range
240W 48V 44.8V-51.2V. 54V 50V-57V
320W 48V 43V-52V. 54V 49V-58V
480W 48V 40.8V-50.4V. 54V 45.9-56.7V
600W 48V 43V-52V. 54V 49V-58V

The 240W 54V and 480W 48V are a little to close to the pot limit for me

1 Like

After a bit of reading, I’m planning to buy a Meanwell HLG-600H-54A but have a few questions:

1. Do you think it’s ok to just use a multimeter to set the voltage correctly or do you think it’s better to wire a meter to properly check everything all the time?
  2. Any new meter recommendations besides the ones shown above?
  3. If you adjust the voltage/current, is it safe to assume that it will stay in those values even if you throw it in a bag a few times?

Not an issue.
After you throw it in a bag a few times, you’ll get frustrated with how heavy it is and just leave it at home :sweat_smile:

1 Like

this is what i did.

mine have not ever changed. if you have a smart bms you can also use that to check on things from time to time.

1 Like

Hey guys I posting here to show you what I did to my driver, since my country just start a new nation wide quarantine and I have more free time I have started to make a few changes on my driver

I’ve seen people using wattmeter to control the voltage and Amps that they are putting in the boards and I wanted to show you guys my take on that.

I wanted something that would be easy to transport and plug in quickly and I didn’t want any wire to stick out of the driver, that way it would take more space and if not carefull you could crimp the wires, so I made mine to be completly modular and imbedded the wattmeter in to the driver itself so that I could use all it’s functionalities and not take any space
I opened my driver and took a bunch of the silicone off to make space for the watt meter and the In and Out power connectors

It was a bit tight and I had the print and an extension for the IEC 320 C14 Male connector to fit, and had to order two pares of heavy dutty connector but overall for me it looks great and as you can see it barely takes any space as it his so I can easly take it any were I want and It can pass for a normal charger

I hope this helps any of you guys if you are trying to make something like this

13 Likes

Just randomly came across an OG Boosted video and they were using the Meanwell Led power supplies for their chargers. Made me nostalgic TBH

@ 5.40 minutes

8 Likes