[USA] Where do you buy your metric socket head bolts and other metric goodies??

Amazon is what I’ve used so far but I have to buy big sets for everything, and I’d like to know if anyone else has done it better than Amazon?

TIA!

4 Likes

Mcmaster Carr has the good shit, and the quantity pricing.

6 Likes

Ace hardware and home Depot have some small things, but the variety is McMaster Carr and Bolt Depot

McMaster Carr has absolutely everything you can need and fast as fuck shipping, Bolt Depot lets you buy single items and stuff at a spectacular price

2 Likes

I tend to buy a big assorted pack from amazon, for everything from bolts to nuts to circlips to heatshrink.

Then, as I use up the individual sizes, I reorder just those sizes I’ve exhausted from places like

McMaster-Carr for bolts
AliExpress for heatshrink

et cetera

3 Likes

Got a good Ali supplier for heat shrink?

3 Likes

Various ones.

I just reordered 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 10mm, 13mm, 16mm, and clear 190mm heatshrink but that’s because those were the specfic sizes I was low on / out of.

3 Likes

@ZachTetra you just buy all the clear heatshrink and start selling those too. You’d be our sole supplier of the 30mm and clear heatshrink which you can sell by the mm

Beats amazon prices and beats ali shipping

3 Likes

McMaster-Carr has a great selection of 10-32 skate hardware for trucks in any length or head shape you desire. Part number 91255A278 is my most often used truck hardware along with the nyloc nuts 90631A411

3 Likes

If it’s something I use regularly, I’ll get a big variety pack from amazon, ebay, etc.

If it’s something I don’t often use or need immediately, I go to Ace hardware.

Fastenal if they’re local have a good selection too.

McMaster is pricey but quality and delivers stupidly quick (to me at least). I don’t think I’ve ever not gotten it the next day.

3 Likes

Haha I’m honestly not opposed to that

1 Like

What are the popular sizes?

1 Like

It’s a little tricky because I’m assuming only battery builders use large quantities of heat shrink. And if they do, probably only maybe half a meter for one battery or so. Which would make your turnover rate kinda slow. But a couple days ago, it would have been great to be able to buy just 2 feet of 190mm clear instead of having to go to Amazon and buy 3meters of NOT CLEAR and I just found out they pushed back the delivery date from today to Wednesday so what the fuck

I digress. I’d say 180mm is the most popular for single stack battery packs. And I think 220mm for double stack?

1 Like

I mean that’s fair, I’ll ask in the battery thread then

much safer to have 1m or at least 75cm, highly depends on the battery though, obviously

1 Like
4 Likes

Menards is awesome for small quantities of random metric stuff, never had anything I couldn’t find there.
Only in the Midwest thou :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bolt Depot for sure. I have compared pricing of fasteners to many other retailers and they’re the best and they ship super fast.

If you’re buying a lot, go to a local supplier. The prices are great and there’s no shipping.

I wouldn’t trust China aliexpress fasteners for anything critical, just sayin.

2 Likes

Was just at Menards and they have almost zero metric stuff. World Wide Web for the win :crazy_face:

They don’t even carry a 3mm hex key.

They do however, have any FUB stuff you could ever possibly desire. Probably even a 31/64" FUB hex key :crazy_face:

Also in Midwest.

2 Likes

I’ve used Albany county fasteners for a long time.
They have kits and will put together custom kits for you. They’ve come through several times when I was having a tough time finding what I needed anywhere else.
They’re shipping has been fast and customer service has been great.
I’m a big fan if you can’t tell :laughing:

2 Likes

Must be a shrunk-down inner city one :sweat_smile: