Upgraded VESC 4.12 to firmware 4.1 and got error: FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT

When I got this error it was due to a bad connector on the VESC phase cables that connects to the motor.

I removed the sleeve heatsink on the cable (it was a Focbox) and turned out that the 3.5mm banana connector got disconnected from the cable. Not the best soldering QC.

Had exactly the same issue with a set of HW 6 based escs after changing from 3.40 to 3.5x (actually don’t remember the exact version). Never found out what was the reason for it.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ll give that a try and report back.

On a very, very, very good day. 35A is much more in agreeance with them

3 Likes

So I successfully rolled back the firmware, but it wouldn’t allow me to access the input wizard so that I can map my PPM controller. It said that I had to update to 4.10 again. So I updated once again and I am getting the same error code and some motors that cut out when accelerating.

I don’t know if this has something to do with it, but isn’t this supposed to say 412 for torqueboards VESCs?

Get an older vesc tool version from here

and flash the fw it comes with. Ppm and everything else will work. The 4.10 instead of 4.12 is normal. I for instance use 1.25 with fw 3.62, the newer ones don’t work 100 percent for both my setups

1 Like

Go to Motor Setup > FOC. Do the detection again, but use 1000uS for the time constant.
First change that value, then detect.
Vedder will publish a new VESC-Tool soon, using a better time constatnt value.

1 Like

So I was a little interested to see if the new firmware update would solve my problem.

It did to a degree, but now the problem is different. This is what it’s doing now:

When I throttle up somewhat slow, it works okay. But if I full throttle right away, my motors make this weird sound. I think it’s because it’s trying to cut power. It’s better than the full stop that it was doing before, but I’m a little worried that this might still buck me off at high speed.

1 Like

So I successfully rolled firmware back to 3.57, and as expected, it works beautifully.

The only problem is even when I put it in FOC mode, it remains in BLDC for some reason. I don’t really know why this is happening, but I at least I can ride the board now.

2 Likes

Are you sure, you are running motor detection in FOC, rather than BLDC?

I got thrown off twice and back to 3.57 also . feels like it should again instantly . I may never upgrade again. also went through every connection and combination of extra parts troubleshooting f

Yeah, at first I hit the “setup FOC” button on the main page, but that still left it in BLDC. After that I tried going to the FOC specific tab to do a detection, and then selected FOC on the motor settings, but still stayed in BLDC. Super weird.

Yeah the new firmware is scary stuff. I may occasionally update it to see how it changes over time, but I am going to keep my old version of VESC Tool to roll back the firmware if it doesn’t get any better.

Are u using pc tool or app?

I’m using the PC version

Summoning @Trampa Frank

Are you doing dual detection or separate master and slave?

Dual detection over canbus

Oh, dont do that. Run detection first usb->master than usb->slave. There was this debate last week, that dual can detection doesnt work like it used to.

Oh okay I’ll give that a try, thanks!