Upgraded VESC 4.12 to firmware 4.1 and got error: FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT

So I don’t know why this happened, but my VESCs and motors were working perfectly when I was running 3.57 firmware on my VESCS. After updating, I get the FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT every time I try to accelerate.

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT
Current : 240.3
Current filtered : 139.9
Voltage : 21.87
Duty : 0.672
RPM : 26653.8
Tacho : 27653
Cycles running : 9506
TIM duty : 4516
TIM val samp : 2
TIM current samp : 3360
TIM top : 6720
Comm step : 0
Temperature : 25.16

The current is REALLY high in this fault, but my motors are only supposed to be drawing 32ish amps each.

Anyone know why this might be happening?

1 Like

usually this fault is from an. incorrectly set absolute max settings. Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

1 Like

Here are my settings after motor detection.

I have tried to adjust some of the values, but I haven’t been able to change anything.

1 Like

first of all, turn the fucin battery settings down because that’s a one way ticket to a dead esc. The vesc 4 can only take 50a battery amps maximum. So set your battery amps to like 40-45 tops. Also your battery max regen should be the max charge rate for your battery (or if it’s dual, half your max charge rate). Try changing your absolute max to 150a. What motors are you running?

3 Likes

Okay I did all that but the problem still persists. The motors are just some generic aliexpress ones that I have had for a few years now. They worked perfectly before the update, so I can’t imagine that there is anything wrong with them. Also I tried disconnecting one motor at a time to see if it was isolated to one VESC or the other, and it seems they both behave the same way.

The VESCs seem to think that they are pulling 200a, but the board is belly up on a test bench and unloaded, and I wasn’t even spinning them up very fast, so I don’t really know why this is happening.

1 Like

I can’t think of a reason why this would happen, but the first thing that comes to my mind is to double check that you chose the correct hardware.

1 Like

All the hardware is the same as I have used in previous years.

VESC tool should be able to identify they are VESC 4.12 automatically, correct?

I’ve noticed in every version of VESC-TOOL since they updated the motor detection procedure, battery amps are always set to 99amps after detection. I just tested this with the most recent release and still found this to be the case.

I’ve found this to be the case across every 4.12/6 based ESC I’ve tested so far.

3 Likes

In this case it doesn’t matter.
The battery current will never exceed the motor current limits.

4 Likes

It can cause other implications on the battery side of things though.

4 Likes

Anyone know how to roll firmware back?

I’ve read that a couple other people are having problems with 4.1.

I’m a little salty because this was the first day in a long time that it was 10 degrees Celsius in my cold Canadian wasteland village of Toronto, and my riding was ruined by possibly garbage firmware :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

That right there was one of the primary reasons we were asking about maintaining an archive of previous version releases of the tool. I believe @Trampa had a few reasons as to why that wasn’t necessary/desired.

1 Like

in this case yes. but for example, my motors are 100a rated. so If i put 100a motor amps and the stupid tool sets 99a battery amps,it’ll hit that, and self detonate will it not?

1 Like

Click on History, browse back in time ( eg. PTC motor thermistor support, FW 3.65), click <> on right hand side.

Then go to res > firmware > your HW version.
Download VESC_default.bin

This is FW 3.65:

Now open VESC-Tool, click on Firmware menu on the left hand side, open custom file tab, chose VESC_default.bin and hit upload.

The new VESC-Tool will allow you to use FW 3.65. It will mimic the older Tool.

4 Likes

Nothing stops you from setting the battery amps to what you feel is the correct value.

Personally I am getting tired with this particular subject. Way too many hours have been spent discussing this matter.
There is no way for the wizard to know what kind of battery every has in his board.
Just set the damn thing to the values you want and be done with it.

1 Like

exactly. IMHO the vesc tool shouldn’t preset battery values. Any noob will blow their shit up if they don’t know what to look out for

3 Likes

I can’t disagree with you on that one.

4 Likes

When I got this error it was due to a bad connector on the VESC phase cables that connects to the motor.

I removed the sleeve heatsink on the cable (it was a Focbox) and turned out that the 3.5mm banana connector got disconnected from the cable. Not the best soldering QC.

Had exactly the same issue with a set of HW 6 based escs after changing from 3.40 to 3.5x (actually don’t remember the exact version). Never found out what was the reason for it.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ll give that a try and report back.