[Untitled] Direct Drive for Avenue RKP Baseplate

Hello Guys,

i am in the final stage of my own Direct Drive for the Avenue RKP Baseplate. It was a longtime coming, but i just finised all the models and the technical drawings, around mid March the prototype will go to the CNC shop.
Here is a picture of the final v1.

And the corresponding front truck.

So why do i say v1, because i will try to reduce the diameter of the motors further, all depending how my motors perform because these are also made by me. I am currently thinking, if all goes well, to even make a custom stator and all. But first i will gather experience with this drive and find errors or things to improve.
To give you guys some Data. The Motordiamater is 68.5mm and the overall axle length is 340mm with an axle thickness from 14mm-8mm at the end. Overall the entire drive will weight around 2.5kg without wheels. Which is heavy, thats why i will try to reduce the diameter for the motor to 62mm for the v2, but that is something for later.
Also one key feature of my drive is that it will be easy to dismantle. The only thing there epoxy will be used is to secure the windings and later the magnets to battleharden them. So it can later be tuned to your choosing. For example a different motor kv or if someone wants to rewind the motor themself it will be possible.
My motivation is to make a drive with good shock absorption, because the thing that annoys me the most while riding my board is not rough pavement, well it sucks, but the things that hurts the most and is dangerous in my eyes, are curbs or any sharp and hard obstacles. Of couse you can switch to Pneumatics but this would allow a smaller board. Since Pnematics do eat your battery quite faster.
Anyway wish me luck.

Update1: Sadly the first shop declined my job, too much workload and my parts probably meant to much work. But that’s ok, i can look elsewhere.
But atleast i could make one part inhouse with some modifications. I will probably change some of the parameter since they are abit over the top, tolerances <2microns.

22 Likes

Good luck. Hell of a project you got there. Are you looking at this as a commercial venture or just an extremely expensive personal project?

6 Likes

Yeah, totally forgot to mention that^^ First i will dirve the shit out of it. If am happy i can make a groupbuy.
I am thinking maybe around Summer or bit later i have a clear picture. I will not rush this, later everyone will hate me.

8 Likes

Any idea what KV this might be?

1 Like

Whatever i want it to be. I am winding the motors myself. For now i aim for 70ish KV. Gotta see how close the simulation to real world application comes.

4 Likes

Alright the steel just came in.

8 Likes

Will you be selling them with the Avenue base plates?
Why not take existing DD motors and design the custom hanger for those? (Elofty DD’s, torqueboards, etc)

The buyers market will be extremely limited if these DD’s will ONLY work with the avenue trucks. It’d be unfortunate to only sell a few because you’re putting in all the work of making the motor as well :o

5 Likes

A preview in 3d print

Aluminum is also here

8 Likes

good luck! Sounds good. Just out of curiosity which steel did you choose for the motor CAN?

2 Likes

I chose 1.0579 for it’s all around specs. Same for the axle.

4 Likes

I’m intrigued by what’s going on here…

3 Likes

I guess it is, but is it still magnetic?

1 Like

It’s one of those robot chef slaves :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Yes it is mild steel. Otherwise i could have used Aluminium since it is lighter. But simulations have shown that that motor is complete trash without it.
Gonna test different Copper diameter to get an optimal winding.

9 Likes

woow that’s a lot of copper. Looks really a nice project! Following

3 Likes

It was a long journey. It would have been made way way earlier but i wanted to do it inhouse, but we just couldn’t find time to fix our 3D CNC, so we are gonna outsource for the prototype and i will try to build a new cnc around april/may.

3 Likes

I know what is running multiple projects. I do all the time too! Currently machining parts and planning on upgrading the CNC :man_facepalming: Do I need it…no…will it stop me…no ahahahah
Make a tread for the CNC…I love these stuffs.

2 Likes

Yeah i will. It is gonna be all ball screw bearing and linear rails. 20mm thick walls on that gantry flanks and 120x80 extruded aluminium…massiv is all i am saying, because that thing will mill steel, atleast non hardened.

4 Likes

sounds good!

Just realized i forgot to mention some stuff, will update the first post and edit it only from now on.

1 Like