Universal standard ESC/VESC Enclosure box quick disconnect mounting

You know that idea you had where you could have a Battery pack + VESC combo ready to throw on multiple drivetrains? Then you never tried it because the act of swapping over is not easy enough.

Could there be a standard mounting solution with options for straight bolts or some kind of toolless fasteners interchangeably?

Basically at the moment it seems we use the truck hole spacing for some top boxes or another set of holes next to the trucks, I wonder if there is a standard we could move to.

Then the next step would be to integrate the electrical connections into this quick swapping electronics mount.

how does that idea sound to you?

3 Likes

so i alway had an idea of just a single mounted connector on both the motors and the vescs

so it is just a mounted holder of like 2 mr60 and 2 sensor ports which you would plug the motors into

for holding the enclosure i thought for top mount an idea of somehow using electromagnets which would only really secure it in place when the board was turned on
when the board is off you have something small holding it in place like some velcro or something

dunno if its feasable or how it would work
its just a silly idea

2 Likes

I guess the best way is to have either a fully integrated thing like a DIY Revel / Mellow style booster, 4 bolts is all you need really to power anything quickly? You can even DIY it with a belt or gear drive instead of DD.

Picture a variable height and angle mount for these drop decks or Evo style shapes.

You might not even need a big R&D, only a solid baseplate.

You can also have the same type of drivetrain and mounting pattern on multiple boards and just recycle one combo battery +ESC you quick unlatch / latch under the board you wanna ride?

Edit : or you make a standard baseplate mount for all your boards which will serve for quick latch and unlatch using stuff like this

1 Like

@jack.luis

2 Likes

This would work well as a top box solution. The most annoying part of doing the top box build is routing the wires on the deck. We need a solution to this first.

I think @Evwan tagged me because Vantablack kinda achieved the goal in this post but in an ugly way.

Pretty useful not needing tools to remove it though

6 Likes

What do you guys think of a 3d printed enclosure following a design similar to this… It has quick dismount/mount of enclosure and a separate bolt system for accessing the inside of the enclosure.

3 Likes

I think there will be tremendous stress on the base where the bolts pass through the holes as the box is essentially free to rock back and forth.

Another thought…what will happen to it if the board flips at speed?

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought of the flipping situation, just a thought that needs developing. I don’t really want the base of the esc to be too big or ugly when the enclosure is not mounted. Ill get another designed soon but this community needs an affordable quick mount enclosure.

edit, what about printing supports that touch the deck on the underside of the actual esc enclosure?

edit 2, bad idea on my end

1 Like

Perhaps. Maybe compliant ones…TPU with a design that lets it compress a bit? The box wouldn’t get the bad shocks from hard mounting to the deck but wouldn’t be allowed to move around so much that the mount snapped.

Just tossing out ideas. :slightly_smiling_face:
So many way to approach this and so much depends on the particular design and material chosen for the box and its support(s). Good luck!

1 Like

I don’t MTB so this might be off the mark somehow, but here’s my pitch:

Herringbone rails to let the box slide in from the side, as shown they will comply with deck flex. Connectors soft mounted to the deck/underside of box in sleeves with matching chamfers so they self-center. The box can then be secured to the deck at its perimeter with thumb screws or latches or something

1 Like

For a battery box on a mtb this could work, for me I like to avoid drilling my deck so I usually velcro my battery case and then run straps around my board

Id love to see some quick release system with bolt holes already on the deck.

1 Like

Hey, real quick, what do you think of mounting the case on a parallel kingpin like a rail adapter. this way it can move side to side, absorb vibration, etc.

1 Like

Interesting idea, might work but the devil is in the details. :slightly_smiling_face: How would you do the quick disconnect? Something like vibration isolating springs could possibly work too…

https://www.kineticsnoise.com/hvac/fds.html

…or wire rope isolators

3 Likes

what would the purpose be for a quick disconnect?

I daily use electromagnets to lock people up.

Even the smallest ones, tiny ones even use a ton of current. Bad idea untill we have arc reactors

I’ll send ya a magnet if u want though.
Don’t know what the field will do to the vesc though, as the field will get stronger while braking (maybe good??)

2 Likes

It allows for quickly swapping to a non-damaged, fully charged, or different size pack. I’m sure there are other uses for it too.

1 Like

but for the escs? batteries i understand (i’ve done it my while esk8 life hot swapping packs) but escs i don’t get

1 Like

Arrgghh….thank you…I mixed up threads.
You’ll have to ask those who are setting up a quick-change ESC. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I could see for bench testing, maybe?

I like quick change esc box. I could take it off, adjust my vertigo trucks, one less step when de electrifying board, and the bolt holes of the truck will be accessible without having to unplug or torture the esc.

2 Likes