Unity replacement community wishlist

Micro B breaks easily therefore increasing the chance you brick the damn thing when updating firmware.

2 Likes

You can buy a very cheap Android phone and be Gucci.

No iOS support is Apples fault, open source software is banned on their app store. Go be mad at apple not esk8 devs

^ apparently this is untrue FYI

1 Like

…this is so not true it’s insane how not true this is.

2 Likes

My bad, guess I got bad info; edited.

Why is all the esk8 stuff on Android and not iOS then? Genuinely curious

1 Like

I don’t think that statement is really true. There are a lot of eskate apps on iOS, they’re just not well built. Vedder made it easy for Android because he has a build of the tool out for Android. And since it’s open source, people just take pieces of it to build whatever. The barrier for entry for iOS is higher cause you have to build a lot of the underlying stuff, such as command sending and connection and Bluetooth handling etc, yourself. This is prohibitive for devs who might not be familiar with lower level C code.

It’s a valid question and thank you for asking! Maybe someday in the near future I will prep and release my vesc connection and handling library… I have some other stuff higher priority to work on right now though :wink:

11 Likes

Thanks for the excellent explanation! Makes a ton of sense. You would be in the right to charge a dollar or two for a Sofu-Vesc ios app I think

2 Likes

Hell i’d pay 30$ for a proper ios app

2 Likes

Wish list?

Continuous availability. That’s all.

5 Likes

I don’t plan on charging money for it, if I do make one for public release :slight_smile:

7 Likes

:pray: at least have a donate button. Not right that enertion never paid you

3 Likes

15 Likes

What if it’s never really available in the first place?

1 Like

… it’s not continuously available?

2 Likes

Well we just have to wait and see won’t we :slight_smile:

2 Likes

but the amount of availability would be continuous at least.

4 Likes

Jeff mate. Stop making sense here and go create us a solid younity :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

“Younity” I love it :joy::joy:

1 Like

https://www.fsf.org/news/2010-05-app-store-compliance

it’s true enough for it to be a problem for us. Vedder could do it though, assuming vesc tool doesn’t depend on GPL licensed work by others…

Edit: changed link, previous one was for the mac app store, woops

:eyes:

5char

So the issue here is really nuanced. I won’t go into super detail, but the short version of it is you can do it if vedder or trampa doesn’t have a problem with it. A blanket statement saying that Apple doesn’t allow OSS in the App Store is entirely untrue. If it were true there would be no App Store at all since millions of apps rely on OSS such as AFNetworking and others. There’s also the issue of GPL being a terrible license to release under if you truly care about open source, but that’s another matter entirely.

When I was working on the unity project, trampa actually DM’d me saying if I was using any of vedder’s code, they would have legal grounds to take the app down and whatnot. So we’re pretty clear on their position, and it’s clear that it’s not Apple disallowing. I’m happy to say that I did not use any of vedder’s work in my app and certainly don’t plan to in the future.

19 Likes