Type R Upgrade | TB DD x4 | Maker X DV6 | Glyphiks deck/enclosure combo | 12S5P Samsung 40T

Thats great news! Gonna look slick with those tidy cable risers

1 Like

I thought 1.6 still had that problem, only until 1.7 they finally fixed it

Btw, nice build

1 Like

Not far away now hopefully!!!
Unfortunately I’ve discovered a few minor issues after receiving my motors.
Firstly it appears I’ll need to re-drill my deck to move the trucks forward as there isn’t a huge amount of space between the wheels and enclosure…

This will likely result in me also having to extend the hall sensor cables so they reach the ESC. Bit of a bitch but ah well. It will delay me a bit as I’m so slow at soldering. It’s so fiddly.

I am getting better at soldering slowly. Here’s a pic of the 6mm bullets I had to swap for the standard 5.5mm that came with the TB DDs.

I’ve tested the motors and had 4wd all working. I just used the VESC Tool wizard settings for the time being. It only set the motor amps at 30 which I thought was low for these motors. I’ll definitely ramp that up once it’s all together. Also got the VX2 remote working and BKB Bluetooth module.

I didn’t manage to get the remote functioning perfectly as it didn’t read the board battery, nor did it seem to be accurate on speed. I’m sure with a bit of mucking around with settings I’ll get it going though hopefully.

Fingers crossed I can get it together tmw for a little test run. Will need a few finishing touches afterwards still. I think I’m going to spray the enclosure and riser with a matt black. I have already scuffed it up a bit (sorry @glyphiks) so that will come later. I’ll likely get some 3d printed loop key covers too.

Oh and @rusins I ended up with blue wheels :man_shrugging:. I don’t think I actually specified when I ordered. Ive got the 6 inch ATs with adaptors too though so hopefully can give them a whirl at some point too.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’ll happen :rofl: i need to find a good bedliner. Not happy with the ones i have tried so far and the gloss finish does mark pretty easily.

Keen to see this on the road!

2 Likes

Far out! My sons nap time gives me a 2 hour window and all I get done is hall sensor cables extended. Such a pain in the arse job! This ain’t getting finished today haha

4 Likes

+1
Can confirm, it is a bit tedious and slow.
2hrs isn’t too bad bro, faster than I was when I did it last :joy:

1 Like

I fucking hate that job.

4 Likes

So close I can taste it!

10 Likes

Slapped her together for a test run last night. Very impressed!!! I’ve got a few things to fix up still but it’s running very well.

The enclosure holes didn’t line up with inserts when I added the enclosure riser so I needed to drill the holes out a bit. I also added a soft washer under counter sunk washer as the washers were no longer sitting flush either. I plan on doing a coat of maybe a bed liner on the enclosure, and bolts and washers. I’ve already put a big scratch on the bottom from the first ride :disappointed_relieved:.

The truck risers worry be as only 3d printed. I need to do another set in ABS as worried about the strength. They look clean though.

I only managed a mere 9km last night but it was enough to feel the power of this board. It’s got such a smooth take off and then really ramps up. I’d like to get the launch off the line a bit quicker so will play around with settings after a few more rides.

It’s set at only 30 motor amps each -30 brakes for time being. I managed to hit 55km/h a few times with more to give. I just love the feel and subtle sound of these motors.

10 Likes

You’ll probably need to bump up your motor amps a bit to give you more torque off the line.

Well done dude! Stoked to see it rolling!

3 Likes

Cheers Al. Yeah I definitely will, just testing the waters still. Making sure everything holds up and stays together first haha

2 Likes

You should limit the current of each motor to 100A. It feels like a fighter taking off. :rofl:

3 Likes

I bet it would :blush:. I don’t have a big enough battery for that unfortunately. 20aH 12s5p Samsung 21700 40T is all I’m packing.

You can turn your motor amps up to whatever you want (at the risk of cooking them)… you still need to keep your battery amps in check tho

4 Likes

Yeah ok. Still learning all the settings and how they relate with one another. Slow and steady with this one. Don’t want to stuff anything up!! But I’ll bump up all motors to 40amps each next run as a start.

2 Likes

People ask me if there’s anything I can’t do… I can’t stand my son’s mother, fn biznitch. Nice build though. :clap:

Fuck yeah man. That’s a good looking power board. :metal:

1 Like

Its a wise approach. I wish I had that wisdom :joy:

2 Likes

You’ve got way more restraint than I have, I would likely set each motor to double that straight away lol. Awesome build mate :clap:

1 Like

First run was a mere 9km. I bumped up motors amps to 42amps per motor and -35 brakes for second run and wow what a difference! This thing is a :rocket:.

I’ve got out a few more times on higher settings and getting used to capabilities and limits.

Pros:
-Dead sexy looking (yes subjective)
-Crazy acceleration
-Awesome brakes
-TB 110s are amazingly comfortable.
-Super stable at speed (60km/h no worries)
-I’m actually very happy with VX2 remote too. Prefer it over VX1 and Hoyt St Puck.

Cons:
-Heavy at just over 20kg so difficult to carry. Maybe need a strap or handle but don’t want to take away from anesthetics
-Low clearance so I’ve scraped my enclosure a few times :disappointed_relieved:
-Two loop keys is a tad annoying
-Range when pushing hard is not great. Maybe 16-18km.
-Turns like a tank haha. I’m used to riding my other board with Waterbourne Surf adaptors though.

Overall I’m very happy. I wish I could have fit a bigger battery but if I keep the remote in Medium mode and don’t go over 50km/h the range is decent at around 30km or so. Could get more if I rode slower again but too boring haha.

Still to do:
-shim the trucks as recommended (so far no noise though)
-get 3d printed loop key covers
-work out how to protect the enclosure from deep scratches (yes dont go over bumps or curbs but sometimes unavoidable). Bash plate or some sort of tough lining :man_shrugging:

6 Likes