Tuning TB 6380 with HFI help!

I really suck at tuning motors with HFI, is there anyone out there that is running 6380 190kv on HFI that can give me some values? Pretty please?
I’ve watched the videos over and over.
I can’t get vesc tool to plot properly. It’ll give a single point of data then nothing else.
I have all day to get this working. Please help

3 Likes

@b264

What esc are your using? I ran into the same problem with fsesc 6.6

Mine are all 170Kv, but the last one I tuned worked well on

three-shunt ESC (VESC 6)
HFI samples: 16
HFI Start Voltage: 12.00V
HFI Run Voltage: 2.00V
HFI Max Voltage: 12.00V
Sensorless ERPM HFI: 1100.00

I don’t know if just dropping those in will work or not though.

For a dual drive you’ll probably need to raise Sensorless ERPM HFI to 2000.

3 Likes

Try setting AppSettings > PPM > General > Control Type to Off and see if the plot comes on. That’s what I need to do to get the arrow keys to work. Also rebooting the ESC and the tool isn’t a bad idea.

3 Likes

Thank you @b264 I’m about to dive in
@TheRef its a neobox. Focbox 1.7 I belive

1 Like

You saw this video, right?

3 Likes

Yes I have, many times. Over and over.
I also just realized my 6380s are 170kv.
For some reason I forgot I pulled these from my purple build.

2 Likes

Another TB6380 170Kv I have works on these

two-shunt ESC (FOCBOX 1.6)
HFI samples: 16
HFI Start Voltage: 22.00V
HFI Run Voltage: 8.00V
HFI Max Voltage: 12.00V
Sensorless ERPM HFI: 1085.00 (0.75mph)

and those are pretty different from the other ones. So I’m not sure if sharing the settings will help you, but there they are. I’m also running at 10S (42V) and 12S LFP (44V)

1 Like

Also forgot to mention, the first one is a three-shunt ESC and the second is a two-shunt ESC. I added that in edits.

3 Likes

Ok, I just watched the video again and tried to write down the steps. If anyone wants to double check my process, I’d love feedback. Im at work right now, but plan to attempt to get these working this eve.

@b264 I’m at this point, when I hit the anchor I get a very quick blip of hfi noise, then nothing. It doesn’t stay making that loud noise for more than 1/10 of a second. I can’t get any plots on the screen, any ideas?

1 Like

Click App Settings > PPM > General and change Control Type to Off. Then write the settings and click the picture of a keyboard on the right side.

1 Like

Ok I’ll give that a try tomorrow night.
I just put everything up to 20v and started dropping voltages until something weird happened.
I ended up with 14v, 3v, 8v
I need this variesctool.

1 Like

@b264 sorry if you’ve said it before man but what do you like about HFI again? The sensorless aspect of it?

gunna be opening up a few boards for some changes soonish so wanted to see if I should test it.

1 Like

Not running sensor wires, the waterproof factor there of only an MR60 epoxied through the enclosure.

Also, in my experience, hall sensors are the very first part of a motor to break, and so it adds tons of reliability.

Unfortunately, HFI is finicky. Watch Deodand’s video and do it like 5 times until you get the hang of it. Some HFI I’d argue works better than sensors. Other times, it works like complete garbage. And most of the time, it’s somewhere in-between, typically “not quite as good as sensors, but definitely doable”. It all depends on how good the motor is, how well it’s tuned, and a good bit of luck. Some motors just don’t like it at all, and there’s not much you can do about that. (Racerstar 5065 come to mind.)

I have plans to try a balance vehicle on HFI which is going to either be an impressive feat, or be a complete disaster. Stay tuned…

6 Likes

@b264 i attempted to get a onewheel hub motor running on hfi with no success.
The induction difference was very small.
Now that I got these 6380 kind of working on hfi and am armed with your knowledge on how to plot properly, I might give it another go.

1 Like

Was it a Future Motion brand motor?

These happen to be Maytech brand motors

1 Like

The other thing about HFI is when the motor temperature changes, the tuning goes out the window. So a lot of times, when your motors get real hot, the HFI doesn’t work as well. (But usually still works! Just not as well.) This is more noticeable with smaller motors, because they get hotter faster.

2 Likes

the tuning gets back to normal like before once the motor cool down right? i haven’t heat up a motor to a point where HFI is funny, but would like to know