[Tuning Stage] III:THE EMPRESS | Apex Bro / Airs / Chain Drive | 6384 140 kv 5:1 | 12s2p P42A | DV6 | | 8" Rockstar II

Man that looooks good and a very detailed write up, looks good!

2 Likes

Very nice! I was very interested in your build since the beginning since it was similar to my MH build. I love the way you went about your problems and did more of a diy approach. Great job and great build!

2 Likes

Yeah man, the wheel sprocket acts like a flywheel making the free roll pretty fucking good. Also the sound :smiley:

Thanks man, im really glad you are enjoying this build, well done!

5 Likes

Whithout solder ? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Of course it’s got solder now! :rofl:

I was just showing how I did the join :smile:

Unfortunate news on this one, had a bit of a spill after I clipped a bike lane bollard and now may have a fractured elbow :sweat_smile:. Doctors say they couldn’t see a fracture from the initial x-rays but suspect that it sill may be fractured due to the areas of swelling. Probably not going to be riding this one for a while until I am all healed up. I really knew I should have put in more time learning to ride in a more controlled environment before trying to make the commute to work on it, lesson learned I guess.

At least the board was 100% ok aside from a few tiny scuffs :grin:

Also, while I will have some time on my hands, @ApexBoards do you guys have a guide/recommendations on tensioning chains? I think I had them right but am not 100% sure, I set them pretty loose. Basically right at the point where you can easily move the wheel forward and backwards without it binding up.

1 Like

aww fuck sorry.
I accidentily did that not too long ago while switching songs on my phone cruising at like 8mph. The bollard was gone but the metal base that was bolted into the ground was still there, so it sent me stumbling off when it crashed into my front truck. My front truck has quite the mark on it now haha

Yeah I was going pretty slow as well but not being used to being strapped in made me go down pretty hard… Very thankful for my full face helmet, my face would not be looking too great right now :sweat_smile:

We do have some tips actually

Tensioning the chains is actually quite critical. You do not want them tight, they need a bit of give but you also do not want the chain hanging off the bottom of the wheel sprocket, that becomes a conveyer belt that can scoop small rocks up or whatever. There needs to be a small amount of play basically. Hard to put into words, maybe ill film a quick video for you

edit - really sorry to hear about your accident man. That sucks. best tip I can give you is get back on the board as soon as you possibly can. Ive ridden with a broken hand etc, just get back on when you feel fit enough and carry on. Chances are you learned a lesson and will be more cautious. eMTB’s are no joke.

2 Likes

This would be amazing if you had some time! Like you said it’s a bit hard to get across over text.

My first thoughts after I fell/got home and realized it was a bit worse that I thought were: “Am I ok? I’m ok” and “How can I get back on the board as soon as possible” :smile:. Oddly enough I’m just more upset with myself for not getting used to riding it in a more controlled environment/wearing more gear. I’m seeing an orthopedic doctor to see if it is actually a fracture next week so fingers crossed it isn’t and I can get riding soon. I’m already regaining some of the mobility in my elbow so that’s a good sign at least.

1 Like

100% a good sign. I would really recommend some armour (armor over there :smiley:), I try and wear mine as much as possible.

I have the Thor sentry XP I think, very good.

Full face helmet with a chin guard is a must, gloves are a must and good kneepads are a must (I have the TSG DHP’s) and then deffo recommend the armour for the top when possible.

Also we never got a pic of the finished board!

1 Like

Wow, just now realized that! Took so many pictures I forgot to take pics of the final product :sweat:

Pics will be incoming soon :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Glamour Shots:

Last thing I really need to do is fix up that wiring in the back to be more neat, purposely used yellow zip ties so that it would annoy me enough to change it quickly :grin:

5 Likes

You still got these around?

Yesssss! That graphic turned out so good!!! Still a mean haero, but now with+10 style.

2 Likes

Just went for my first ride after the doctors cleared me to ride again! Nice little 3 mile stint to get used to things again. Not gonna lie I had a bit of a case of shaky legs so I took things pretty slow this time.

One thing I’m noticing about this board is every once in a while when braking it is a bit jerky. Sometimes it ramps down fine and other times it jerks quickly. I changed the negative ramp time from from .2 to .3 and I think it has helped but I’m not 100% sure.

I also wanted to try out current hyst reverse to have the same kind of power going forwards and backwards but I got a bit skeeved out when testing it out off the board and changed it back. Need to look at some more vesc tutorials to see if I can figure out a good config.

Honestly just glad to be riding again! I’ll iron out the small stuff as time goes on.

8 Likes

@BenjaminF First pic from this thread should be good for the boty glamour shot:

Thanks again for hosting!

2 Likes

To clarify, you want this pic as your glamour shot?

1 Like

Yes, that’s perfect!

1 Like