TSG Pass Safety? Is the Pass Dangerous? Pass 2.0?

My TSG pass is about 6 years old and I am in dire need for a new helmet. I’m looking at the new Pass 2.0 because of it decent price and upgraded tech. I do both downhill and electric skateboarding, so, many of the features with the pass(or similar helmets). But, I’m hearing mixed reviews, particularly from the EUC community, on the safety of the Pass lineup. What are your takes on the subject? The pass is just a downhill skateboarding helmet, so is it fair for EUC riders to hate on it so much for it not being protective on a vehicle it wasn’t designed for? Or is it really just a bad helmet?

2 Likes

I think it’s fair for people to say it’s not an appropriate helmet for our uses. Last year I went down at 43mph and my TSG Pass probably saved my life, so I ended up buying another one for a deal on the forum. I personally wouldn’t say it’s a bad helmet.

With that being said, the next helmet I buy will probably be modular and ECE certified.

5 Likes

Hell no :sweat_smile:
The tsg has a very thin visor and almost no foam inside. For the same price you can get a very nice motorcycle helmet with dot or snell certification.

3 Likes

I find people exclusively cite this video, but, I have yet to see further concrete evedince on the pass’s proformance. I can see any other bycycle helmet or possibly moto helmet proformaing the same. But I can’t see evedince that the pass is more dangerous then any of them. For reference, 2 years ago, I crashed at abt 30mph downhill skateboarding with a certified MIPs helmet. I broke my collarbone and received a concussion (similar to the video). It’s hard for me to see the claim that the pass is dangerous to be true. I would love to hear more takes tho

Take a Pass and push on each side of it, do the same thing with a motorcycle helmet, the differences in their protection are pretty apparent when you have them side by side, and the slime profile is at the cost of very little EPS foam which is where a lot of the protection comes from in motorcycle helmets. When you have a helmet that deforms and can no longer distribute an impact, you undermine the safety of the helmet. It’s also almost completely functionally pointless on ESK8 since its selling point is aero which is not a concern when you have motors, it’s cool, and if you can accept that you are putting function over form that’s a personal choice just ride with that fact in mind, if you are doing skateboard speeds its fine to ride a helmet with skateboards as the design consideration but if you are doing motorcycle speeds you should find something that was designed with those forces in mind.

I would like to also note that Mips is only designed to reduce rotational force not something like Snell/ECE/DOT that tests for how much force is transmitted to the riders head.

4 Likes

I think I asked my question wrong. I’m more just wondering if the pass is actively more dangerous than something like a bike or standard skate helmet. I think it’s a given that a motorcycle helmet will be more safe than a TSG pass. For me personally, I need a helmet for downhill and eskate, however, I don’t want to be riding a helmet that will actively be more dangerous than a half shell or standard bike helmet.

Rn I need a helmet that will work for both eskate and downhill. Any recommendations other than the pass? New olders? Predator DH6? S1 lifer?

If it’s a pass or a half shell I’m taking the pass 10/10 times, it’s a perfectly fine helmet that is made of quality materials. Would I feel safer in something a little more padded yeah, but it’s still fine.

3 Likes

Hi man. Which kind of evidence You need? Just check spec. It is very clear. EN 1078 is EU standard which is must for any helmet You buy in EU. This standard tested helmet Just for max 25km/h (15.5mph) . ASTM F1952 is US standard which is slighly better include chin protector. But both are compared with motorcycles helmets ECE 22.5 weaker. Here You have something for study.

Just main message:

1.Every helmet is better then no helmet.
2. Need to find balance between safety, cost, temperature comfort, design based on Your needs . And this is personal decision of Your self.

3 Likes

You need two helmets. Here in Europe you can get the triple8 racer and the agv k3 for 350. Or get the pass and a mx helmet for 400

1 Like

snell rated motorcycle helmet, I have crash tested the model I wear to 139 mph (thundehill raceway) If you buy a carbon helmet they can weigh the same as a regular pass. If there is 1 thing I am an expert at it is crashing,I have crashed everything with 4 or 2 wheels in my 50 years and 11 months of stupidity.

A esk8 helmet is just not beefy enough. Let me ask you this, no matter the speed you ride, ever ride with cars? my board tops out at 44mph,last year, the throttle stuck wide open,i had to"step off" my opinion will always be MC helmet, you might live longer than you plan too,like me the brain is hard to fix. good luck in whatever you decide

edit, they ventilate so much better too

3 Likes

I have a picture of this helmet after a 35 mph crash with a car, horrible concussion

2 Likes

That’s why you need two helmets . This is for downhill only

I have a down hill board, I only had the balls to ride it 2 times’ I live near the Oakland hills(steep 43%hills),I am no down hill expert by any stretch, but I do get passed by them when im WFO on my lead foot,those crazy bastards are definitely exposed to cars. are you looking for better aerodynamics? please dont mis understand me, I do not know it all,im just good at crashing

also here, you run off, you are going to die I have pics some where,but if you downhill, you know what I mean, perhaps you crash like Josh Neuman?(RIP sk8 KING) I always try that and fail still. I am still in awe how he did that bridge thing, get up no big deal

If you can go without a visor, very happy with my Demon Podium.

Everyone’s talking about how cheap and better motorcycle helmets are without mentioning how comically large and heavy they are.

My tsg is light enough for me to keep my head on a swivel and avoid accidents.

But I don’t often travel faster than 35-40mph on my esk8

4 Likes

A High quality carbon helmet is same weight as a regular pass. I raced and rode motorcycles for decades so it doesn’t bother me. The ventilation is far superior in my experience. But every one should use what they want. It’s your head/ choice

3 Likes

I think the Ruroc Atlas is abit overlooked in this aspect, its lighter then the avrage MC helmet.
Its actually pretty dogshit as a MC helmet cause it doesn’t soundproof that well. But as a esk8 helmet its just what I wanted

I use an alpinestar sm5 motocross helmet now. It’s 1260g so fairly light for a moto helmet, and it provides excellent field of view. I am pretty sure that I would have gotten a concussion during my last fall if I didn’t have a moto certified helmet on. Took a speed wobble at 33mph / 53kph strapped into full bindings and heel straps…

2 Likes

I’ve pretty much mastered bailing on a board at any speed. I ride with TSG DHP on my knees and i use standard slide gloves in order to bail. My bailing skills are really the only reason I can rationalize having a less protective helmet. Aero is important to me bc i ride downhill about 50/50 with eskate. Im just wondering if theres a better DH/Eskate helmet out there. I’m thinkin abt new olders? Somthing like the Cannonball or Blackbird