TSG Pass Safety? Is the Pass Dangerous? Pass 2.0?

for me, weight is not a super huge issue when it comes to moto helmets, its more size and FOV. I enjoy tucking on both eskate and DHskate and i find it feels funny with a moto helmet. I’m just wondering if anyone knows about a DHskate style helmets that is more protective than the pass. Feature wise MC helmets are out of the question

Yeah,i think I am taking for granted I am so used to a motorcycle helmet after so many years .I dont notice the difference. my helmet for years was this. the medium shown here was 1080 grams, I think a pass is 980 grams .

I now have an even lighter AGV carbon that was super expensive, but I traded it for some Hyabusa Pistons out of my racing SV650(aka half a busa) motor. BTw if anyone needs a Rotax aprilia 998 motor for an awesome go cart hit me up,148 hp at the crank.

gosh I googled that, expensive it is
faster I go is 40km/h for now I was fine with a demon podium but I’m taking more and more bugs in the eyes, so I’m on the hunt for something light with a visor (that I could afford without selling my organs)

(I tryed putting bicicle goggles, but I hate the feeling and I ended up not wearing them)

try taking a look at the scorpion covert fx
cheap, pretty lightweight, good protection and fit

2 Likes

It is pretty cheap and looks much more safe, but it’s still a good 500g heavier than the podium or 400 than the pass

honestly i don’t find the scorpion that heavy but i’ve never tried the pass or any of the downhill helmets. the improved protection comes with added weight, that’s just the nature of the game unless you splurge and get a really lightweight helmet.

both ofwhich areworse than the current ece rating lol

2 Likes

TSG or new olders are what the pros use, it’s also about visibility which is why no one uses moto helmets in DH. I don’t think an aero helmet like the blackbird makes sense unless you racing. I sold my aero lid also because they are dangerous because of the tail. Also they were banned at the recent AVS ESK8 race.

And knowing how to fall helps for sure, but I’ve seen Brady and others suffer concussions from toe side falls in TSGs.

I’ve started using a half shell more now, feeling the wind makes 30 feel like 40. Full face only if I’m wearing race leathers and going over 40.

Oh and predator helmets are ass, had one for a year and it did not protect my chin vs a guard rail. I currently use a new olders

3 Likes

I think most of the DH pros that are going 50+ are using motorcycle helmets (although there seems to be a big trend these days in DH using no helmets). Back when I was more active, the new olders helmets where the popular choice. Tbh, I’ve been out of that scene for years. I only keep up with it through socials now, so I could be wrong on what’s current.

Anyway…

The tgs pass has some benefits over regular non racing motorcycle helmets at low speeds since it’s reduced weight can help prevent whiplash. The high feild of view is great as well. Imo, a good helmet to own for speeds under 25-30mph. Unfortunately, I’ve heard of a few crashes around 30 where the helmet did not hold up. Definitely wouldn’t say it’s more dangerous than any half shell out there.

Now, carbon fiber racing motorcycle helmets are another story. Essentially the best of both, but at a high cost. They tend to be only slightly heavier than the pass, and approximately same feild of view (no mirrors in motogp, so they need a large FOV).

ECE 22.06 is ideally what to look for in certs. Its the most current standard and arguable the same as FIM. For some reason, the US does not really accept the ECE rating (tracks do however), so lots of ECE helmet versions are not sold in the west unless the manufacturer creates a dot complaint version. I went down that rabbit hole a few months ago.

1 Like

its all new olders or custom aero lids or TSG. The aero lids have been used forever, they come from downhill skiing.

2 Likes

Haha, looks like I’m wrong on that. Nice to see things haven’t changed too much in the DH community (although I still like my drop decks).

ece is for Europe

he was just pointing out that Europes safety rating is better

3 Likes

just cause we’re in the states dun mean we don’t get ECE rated helmets :joy:

2 Likes