TS100 soldering iron thread

Might just be your grip, I use the iron almost daily (for work) for at least an hour at a time. Burned myself with the tip plenty but never the flange.

In my experience the TS100 tips are really great at focussing the heat at the very end.

I would really like it if @xsynatic would edit the title to be more of a USB/portable soldering iron general comparison thread.

1 Like

The TS100 doesn’t use USB power so I think that would be a terrible idea.

portable/usbc both. Tells the reader what is in the thread

Pinecil knockoffs can take pd3.0 20v 65w

The Pinecil knockoff I tried earlier tonight only has a usb-c connector. USB PD is designed for power but of course a decent rated cable for a Mac Pro makes sense. The full length TS-100 tips works A-Ok in it & have a couple of short tips for the shorter cover that it also includes.

Only have a Nintendo switch power supply to hand but it whooshed straight up to 350c in seconds & has a ceiling of 450c.

There is a GitHub repo for the pen which is ESP32-based but having a driver issue which stopped me doing a f/w update.

For < $50 it’s a bargain (so far).

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK0bQVG

3 Likes

new ish TS101

USB PD 45W or 65W DC jack

3 Likes

Omg need

1 Like

I haven’t seen a more apropriate thread so let’s be it here,
Is there any cheap reflow station / hot air tool worth buying for smd job ?

3 Likes

Btw this is the general smart iron thread

how do you spot a ts100 fan boy? you don’t have to… they’ll tell ya.

:rofl: :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

I have a ts100. Its DC jack would intermittently disconnect. I opened it and direct soldered leads to skip that unreliable connector.

I really hoped to try a USB C PD power source with this iron and I rigged a PD 20V trigger. It doesn’t work when the iron draws power to heat the tip. The chip shuts down.

I did see a Pine64 iron for 40$ on amazon. It has dual input options.

(I didn’t see @Fosterqc 25$ link to the manufacturer site. I feel silly)

Here it is powered by a 100w MacBook usb c charger and a 20v dewalt batter, using both DC and USB jacks.

Here is a race, I installed same iron tips. Both running from same 20v dc batttery. I didn’t have the same target temp set, but they both hit 280c in 9 seconds.
Videoshop_2023-05-13_15-30-33-914

I think the Pine64 is better, cheaper, neater. Doesn’t come stock with a full size chisel tip though.

3 Likes

direct soldering power leads seems like the move. I’ve rebuilt both sides of that stupid barrel jack a bunch of times and it still disconnects when I’m face-deep in a cloud of solder.

3 Likes

It do be like that. I had enough.

3 Likes

Hi, looking to buying the TS100, has anyone bought it form aliexpres. Is this the genuine thing?

I would get the Pinecil. I got the red version and it was a nice, quick deal.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msQWwrE

Run it from a power supply, not the USB-C.

1 Like

Yeah? is it the same or better than the TS100?

Agreed, Pinecil is great. More or less the same as a TS100. You can run the same FW on the TS100

I run mine with the USB-C connection but you need a high power adapter like the one I use meant for a portable monitor.

Also pretty cheap from their website at the moment.

2 Likes

Reminder that their store only offers 30 day warranty! Mine broke instantly due to a bad power supply / bad soldering iron itself. Buy from their EU store if you can.

2 Likes