Trucks | What Is Best Size For Small Boards?

Ah because they’re hex shaped, not the funky RKP hanger shape right?

2 Likes

how about some oldschool indy 169’s ? isnt that what usually went on cruisers or techslide decks ?

would be a bit difficult with the mounts tho i guess

3 Likes

I generally wouldn’t recommend calibers. If you’re doing belt drive I highly recommend something with enough axle length to put the bearing on

Very affordable options are available from several suppliers to address this

Indys are great trucks and all but I honestly feel like the surf rod tkps are very comparable.

2 Likes

yea no doubt about that, i diddnt realize there was a 159mm option

Hell I’m running a 127mm hanger in the rear with the 179 up front.
My clamps are at the very end of the hanger.
And then I have it set up where I have bearings throughout the entirety of my pulleys. ( 3 each)

3 Likes

im still baffled about how flexible those sz tkps are, still got indy’s stuck in my head :joy:

2 Likes

ahem, stay on topic please :rofl:

So @Skunk, what size would is ideal for you? The options are quite vaste

• 100mm
  • 127mm
  • 139mm
  • 159mm
  • 177mm

Also what size axle is prefered? I see this post from @rusins about bearings 10mm to 8mm step down axles for Surf Rodz (Gauging interest)

I’ve had my surfrodz tkp on four different decks all set up at different widths. I love how versatile they are.

3 Likes

So what if I want precision RKP’s instead of TKP’s, and similar in size to Caliber II’s, what are my options?

The setup I have now with 177( 50mm shoulder bolts) upfront and 127 (80mm bolts) in the rear.
It’s the same width as normal caliber trucks but I’m able to run bearings in my pulleys. Can for 6355/6354 with 15mm pulleys.
But that’s just on this deck.
I’ve ran these trucks a multitude of different ways.

4 Likes

@torqueboards or @Boardnamics rkp trucks.
I have zero experience with either of them.
But I would personally lean towards the Tb ones as they aren’t a caliber clone. (I’m just not a fan of caliber trucks geometry)
They might be wider than caliber trucks tho now that I think about it

1 Like

But you mentioned that the front truck is slightly smaller haha. did you ever change that?
So 177mm is good, would smaller work like 150 (50mm shoulder bolts) or is that reaching the ‘‘too small’’ side of things?

I think it was smaller by about 5 mm.
so I ended up using a 60 mm shoulder bolt and putting a 5 mm spacer on the outside and inside of the wheel.
The 177 with its typical 50 mm shoulder bolts is about the same size as a caliber truck.
So if you go down to the 150 you’re going to have to go up to a 60 or 70 mm shoulder bolt if you want room for dual motors. ( And pulley bearings)

1 Like

Forget motors, i am talking about rideability, i am using hubs. Jusst want to know how small i can go without compromising stabability and fun

1 Like

How fast you wanna go? What width deck?

20mph max and the Aileron, single hub

1 Like

20 miles per hour max you can pretty much use any width you want honestly.
I would figure out the deck width.
And then add hanger width plus Wheels to figure out which one will fit the deck best.

1 Like

out of curiousity, how does the hub attach to the hangar ?

It does not attach. It is literally a wheel with a motor in it and you pop it on the axle, tighten the bolt, connect the phase wire to the esc and voila. No mounts, nothing. Just like the loaded x unlimited hubs

3 Likes