Truck Axles a few MM too short

lathe exist for this reason

3 Likes

This is pretty weird as I’m using the bkb extended trucks with the cloud wheels pulleys and their wheels and still have around 4min left on the axle.

1 Like

Yeah I just went on the site it says the rear has longer axles
Something’s not adding up right it should fit cloud wheels fine

Yes plenty of space.

Do you have any pictures?

Ya here are some pictures. I have taken everything apart including removing the bearings to make sure everything was snug and tight, I figured it might be user error on install but it still only leaved like two threads to screw on… BKB says on their site its 43mm of clearance on that axle but I measured with 3 different tapes, its 41mm, and I know that seems like a small diff. but thats another tighten around. The 2 pics show how much is left. The 3rd picture shows the pulley side, the pulley itself is a 2 piece insert, and sits flush with the wheel. The hangar also sits flush on the bearing inside the indent of the pulley.

I know the solutions are either a new hanger, potentially a different pulley, or smaller less wide wheels, but it’s so frustrating because of literally 2mm I can’t install this

1 Like

Forgot to tag on my last comment, see above

Yeah that sucks pretty bad. I used the pulley directly available as a bundle from cloud wheels direct and because these are CNC aluminum they may be a little thicker because of this.

The only 2 things I can think of is make sure that the pulley is getting inserted fully in to the wheel as they are not exact Avec pulleys and there may be a slight gap in-between the pulley and the wheels.

And secondly make sure that you have the hangers with the longer axles to the back (I can’t remember if there were different or not as I installed them a while back).

You can maybe get away with a low profile lock-nut…

If you use one w/o a polymer insert, definitely use a few layers of blue loctite & let it cure each time, essentially adding a polymer layer to it.

Hypothesizing solutions feels good when you don’t got a bitch in yo ear telling you he’s already using a low profile lock-nut :skull:, just noticed after posting apologies if that’s the case

1 Like

Order a cloud wheel pulley or reach out to @BuildKitBoards they might have some pulleys for you
I’ve had the same issues with dickyho pulleys
With calibers style trucks

2 Likes

Double check all your bearings and make sure they’re pushed in all the way. It might just be that a few of them are not fully installed

1 Like

I found out they’re boardnomic pulleys that only work with 45mm axle lengths based on their site, this forces you to buy the hangers from boardnomics which are 50mm.

I take responsibility for buying used parts and having fitment issues so it is my bad at the end of the day, but what a stupid design. He could have made them slimmer, they have sooooo much extra material on them, just feels like a cash grab since almost no one makes axles this long on caliper style trucks, forcing you to buy his if you end up with these pulleys. Almost no other pulley has this clearance issue with cloud wheels and a majority “standard” extended trucks for esk8 in caliper configuration are 1 to 3 mm under the 45mm clearance… Rant over, I’m buying new hangers, it’s just insane something was possibly, made deliberately to be 3mm too short to fit anything else on the market

I can name 2 other hangers besides mine that have axles longer than 45mm readily for sale. At the time they were designed, 50mm was the norm. BKB may be the only truck I’ve seen used in Esk8 shorter than 45mm in 2023. Virtually every single prebuilt these days has a stepped axle that’s closer to 60mm in overall length.

In no way was it a cash grab, it was designed to work with 80% of what’s out there. I cannot conform to all the irregular stuff that exists. I tried my best to confirm to standards. The hangers themselves were caliber based and did wonders for standardizing RKP builds which were very popular at the time of their release.

7 Likes

@ndc27 your weird trucks are the problem, not the pulleys.

1 Like

They make belt alignment stupidly easy because there is no extra space on the axle to even need spacers. Just need to make sure the nut is on tight enough so you don’t loose it completely my fault and it only happened on one side. The pulley and wheel did stay on enough to come to a stop safely I’d say any extra cost compared to other pulleys is worth it to avoid the hassle of dealing with spacers

We are all here to help you. You don’t need to be mad at @Boardnamics he’s done a lot for this community. He’s made a lot of items for us DIY peeps at an affordable price :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
This is why I asked what your set up was And pictures
I wish everything was universal in Esk8 but that’s not gonna happen :joy:
The best thing to do is read some of these builds that you like
learn from their experiences, and if you have questions, there’s places to ask them before you buy

Examples
reply to build threads that you like
Or

1 Like

I’m just frustrated, companies do what they want and make decisions they see fit. Regardless I blame myself for buying the wrong parts

3 Likes

Believe me if you get into this fun Sport/Hobby It won’t be your last :grin:
I had to learn the hard way then I started reading threads and asking questions before I figured out what I wanted in my setups

4 Likes

Buying the wrong parts is just part of the normal process.

4 Likes

Never happened to me on any of my builds, what are you guys talking about???

Dont look at the 40mm riser im making… that was a design choice!

Well. That’s kinda what a company does.

1 Like