Trampa WAND connectivity issues - Gathering feedbacks (SERIOUS)

Lots of riding, never had a single hiccup with mine.

2 Likes

Wait minute… does that mean if i have a Unity on FW 5.0 a Trampa dongle and also a Metr Pro Unity… i could just use the Metr pro instead?

I never had unreliable signal on my $50 Flipsky VX1 and $190 Trampa Wand is even having it’s own connectivity issues thread?

3 Likes

Well, if someone only changes the way he locks down the BLE module and uses hot glue for the job and then, all of a sudden, faces issues that were not existent before doing the hot glue job.

Nothing changes, just more hot glue on the receiver for securing.

Then you figure out that hot glue uses a hydrogen bond.
Knowing that BLE can be blocked by water or stuff containing water…
The resolve is pretty easy and obvious in my eyes.
@Pimousse , please remove the glue and try again and report back.

Yep, a decent quality NRF module.

3 Likes

I never said that. I don’t know what is in hot glue and if under any circumstances it could hamper a radio signal hence the completely ludicrous and lack of data in my phrasing.

1 Like

Been using the wand ever since it came out. I have put the bitch through some of the worst crashes ever at least 5. No issues whatsoever.

I used to use the feather remote with my first build. Had multiple connectivity issues. Had to take the antenna out of the case to resolve cut outs.

Wand has had zero problems. Been running it without the glass screen protector just a film of plastic. Have covered it in mud still it works like magic. Trigger is still super smooth even though I got dirt inside of it.

Still haven’t figured out how to not make my bird jerk when it goes full speed ( even after setting duty cycle limit to 85%) but in terms of robustness I think it’s great if not the best .

2 Likes

What do you mean? Using the Metr Pro UNITY to connect the WAND to? No, that does not work.

So how would a setup look like to use both modules side by side, i imagine id need some crimp some cables

The Metr Pro UNITY sit’s inside the Unity’s silicon case using its own UART port. You can connect any device like a receiver for a remote or DAVEGA or any other UART device on the external port thats still free.

What percentage of Hot Glue (PMA/PVA based HMA) is comprised of water?

Is Hot Glue considered to be non-RF transparent?

See alot of anger about a dab of glue, before you start your witch hunt I can tell you that there isn’t a material in this world that dsn’t affect radiowaves in some form if its put on or close to the antenna.

2 Likes

No anger here. Personally I’d prefer a bit more testing rather than one assumption/correlation being made and that being declared the cause.

Like even the very basic notion of the scientific method, ya know?

I just now purchased a second Wand (ya purple!) as my first wand got sent over to my colleague for validation testing/firmware development. I have some 51822 based hardware as well as some 52840 based hardware and plan on doing some range/interference A/B testing.

8 Likes

Weren’t you the one who said you don’t need 100m of range with @rpasichnyk @hexakopter Metr

:neutral_face:

2 Likes

Never mind @hexakopter is one step ahead hahahaha.

1 Like

I’ll start off by saying I’m not a huge fan of Frank’s.

Y’all are being dicks to Frank and Frank doesn’t deserve it this time.

One of his customers was having an issue, and Frank was trying to help him out.

The first step in troubleshooting something that recently broke is to figure out what changed. OP mentioned adding hot glue, so Frank suggested removing the hot glue. This is not an unreasonable suggestion.

I get to work with RF propagation in my day job every once in a while. Glass windows normally cause ~1dB of attention in 2.4ghz, so about a 2/3 of the power gets through. The new energy efficient windows we just installed at one of our facilities have an attenuation of about ~15dB or 1/25 of the power gets through. Suffice to say, there’s almost no WiFi reception on the outside of our building. I had not planned for that, nor did I think that was possible until I tested it myself.

RF is voodoo magic, so saying that hot glue could never possibly cause this issue without having tested it yourself or having a degree/training/certification in RF is bullshit.

That being said, if this does end up being an RF issue it goes to show that having excess link budget is extremely important as it can save you down the road from issues you never expected, like RF attenuating hot glue.

9 Likes

I disagree

I think there are many, many people who have issues… I know Yannick lost breaks at 50kmh going down hill. So uhm yeah quality

@mmaner

Well then why the f is it being used to move your body at ridiculous speeds? That’s just a useless argument.

2 Likes

Maybe, but it was deserved. He said some stupid self serving crap, as is SoP, and he was corrected. End of story.

This has been going for years, Frank never changes, is never wrong, and is the savior of esk8 in his own head. In reality he is a mediocre pain in the ass that no longer has any real impact on esk8, but this fact hurts his feelings so he comes here acting all high and mighty to “lay down some facts” which are typically either not related to the issue at hand or self-serving and BS.

All that being said, unless you have a cogent argument then I would suggest moving along.

4 Likes

I am calling for more testing, and I have experience with digital RF comms both in design & field testing applications.

The only thing I am pushing back against is arrival at an answer before any testing has been done, and stated inference that hotglue contains enough water for it to have a measurable impact. Plastics in general don’t tend to have a large enough impact to be of much concern in this application, based on my own real world testing + others in the osrr beta

The Trampa dongle is based on the Rigado (now uBlox) nrf51822 BMD-200 I believe:

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/r/rigado/bmd-200-bluetooth-low-energy-modules

Theory: This is not a particularly high performance chipset in the scale of the NRF 5X series, so it’s possible that the Trampa NRF dongle is more sensitive to interference from adjacent materials, where other transceivers out there are simply higher power/performance. Not all NRF modules are created equally.

7 Likes

When did I take a break? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Got a remote freeze, because it was FW 1.0 and didn’t update. After that I updated the Remote FW. Since then near flawless operation with latency issues from time to time.

3 Likes