Trampa VESC 6 MIII Power Buttons

So are you telling me this document that I downloaded from your website is incorrect?

What Frank said matches up with that picture though. You need to wire the switch pin for push to start to work. Edit: was looking only at the info in the red circle

1 Like

Looking at the picture, I would think I would have to connect Switch Pin to GND pin for Roll Start and Auto-Off. Then on the second VESC in the picture it stays just Connect Switch Pin but don’t connect to any GND or Second VESC. So how exactly does that VESC know I’m using Auto-Off and Roll Start?

1 Like

Wire bridge on each VESC …
Do not connect a GND pin to the SWITCH or second VESC.

1 Like

The VESC6 MK3 uses momentary button, not latching! You scared me… (confirmed by Frank #Trampa)

1 Like

My mistake, thanks for the correction @Trampa. Can the document that I pictured be updated to specify momentary switch vs latching?

2 Likes

The VESC6 MK3 needs a latching switch, which basically works like a light switch. When you press it in, there is a little “click” and the button stays down, rather than popping back up. This closes a circuit between the “power switch” lead on the MK3 and the ground lead, and tells the VESC to turn on.

This is totally wrong. You need a momentary switch.

1 Like

Once again, see above. Its not an incorrect explanation of momentary vs latching so not “totally wrong” as you say. I was simply wrong about which switch the MK3 needs, due to lack of documentation. Or did I miss something in that document?

Momentary switches are either NC or NO ( normally closed or normally open), latching is switching between to states. The VESC 6 MKII needs a NC switch.

1 Like

I am a noob here. I wanted to know what does roll to start mean. Does that mean that when the vesc is off/hibernating and I am using a momentary switch, i give the motor a kickstart, will it turn on the vesc or will it turn on the vesc and get the motor running at desired speed?

2 Likes

Yes you are understanding that correctly, it is a function of certain VESCs and ESCs

1 Like

It’s also Wheel/VESC independent. For example, I have Dual VESC Motor setup. So if I spin one of the wheels hard enough, it’ll turn on that wheels vesc only. Not an issue if you start kick pushing your board. But if you testing the Belt tension or spin, can be a little annoying.

Sounds like wake up from can isn’t working then. That’s not good.

Wakeup from CAN can’t work if the CAN chip has no power…
Seeping means nothing is powered.

2 Likes

In what situation would wakeup from can work then? Sounds a bit unintuitive – CAN is on if device isn’t sleeping, CAN is off if device is sleeping :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I am using a remote control receiver which is hooked up to the ADC of the VESC MKV6. The remote has a power on/off, up(to increase the speed) and down button (to reduce the speed). Basically I am using the remote to control the speed. I am also using a momentary switch to auto power off and I have set the timer to 1 min. With the power on/off i am able to turn on/off the motor. But when I am using the switch to auto power on the system, the VESC cuts off the speed to the whole system disabling the motor to startup when I press the power button on the remote. When I do roll to start, the VESC wakes up from the hibernating mode.
How can I have the remote and also the switch work in parallel, in the sense that when the vesc is in sleep/hibernating mode, I either press the button on the remote or roll the motor, the vesc powers on. Thanks for all the help!

1 Like

@Trampa

If the VESC motor controller sleeps, your remote receiver has no power and it will not work.

@trampa: Is there a way I can make that work?