Trampa Trademark & VESC Tool Discussions (serious)

Didn’t Jeff made a big part of that?

1 Like

Benjamin said he needed to do most of it himself, simply because it is so complex and he wanted to keep the code as clean as possible.

This

There are pull requests waiting to be merged that fix these things, but apparently they don’t get looked at.

They literally have to just click one button to fix this. For free. Because open source.

But instead folks are risking their life if they forget to fix this or don’t know to.

3 Likes

That is the second time you have used that phrase and I have no idea what you mean. What is dirty code?

Messy, not tidy, patched, problems not resolved at the very root etc.

2 Likes

If the code was that clean at the beginning, it’d have been easier to make the change. The common definition of clean code is usually that’s it faster to make changes to it and easier to understand because it’s set up well.

6 Likes

so many darts, so little time

FWIW when I bugged Ben about my MR, he said he had already seen it, so I think its fair to say he has already seen yours as well. He tends to work in “sprints” and then merge a batch MRs as the last step before a beta release.

But this is really me putting words in his mouth, which is something I’ve been trying to avoid doing in this thread. So be disclaimed.

3 Likes

He works in releases, which was also demanded by people here. Now there is a beta up for testing.
Feedback is gathered, code is changed and polished. Finally there is a major update coming, considering all the feedback.

If you look how far VESC-Tool has come in a short time, he works anything but slow.

And everyone wants things to be handles differently and wants different features and different menus.
There is no way to please every single user. If you handle things one way, someone will complain. If you handle things that way, someone else will complain.

2 Likes

You have lost me… Cool comment

He’s saying a bug in an esk8 controller can kill someone while a bug in a quad controller can just lose some money in broken equipment. There is a big difference in severity of consequence.

3 Likes

One person calls complex another calls dirty. It’s a mater of prospective. If it was totally clean labels and compartmentalised it would help others contribute more but wast time the could be used to add other things. But all this comes down to project management.

I’m just as guilty of been to close to things thinking it’s logical and obvious to have others confused trying to do things and messing other things up. I just say I do it my self.

That statement is so true and a huge majority want you personally to handle the TM differently.

1 Like

As I can see you distribute VESC Tool on your website. I’m sorry to inform you, that this is not possible. You may not distribute VESC-Tool, as you hold no license to do so. Vesc Tool is soley distributed by Benjamin Vedder.

If you wish to distribute VESC based software, you need to run your own branch, under your own brand. In this case you have to strip the VESC branding from the software and follow the GPL V3 terms.

If you don’t want to run your own branch, please link to Vesc-project.com for software downloads.

You can then distribute modified FW along with your product. However, there is a risk, since VESC Tool can not differentiate between official FW5.1 and your modified FW5.1.

There is also a risk of modified FW landing on other HW causing trouble or even destroying HW or putting users at risk

6 Likes

If your device works with the stock VESC Tool, please only distribute FW and not the VESC Tool.
If things are more complicated, it needs to be debated with Vedder. He is very open to find solutions but also very busy this year.

1 Like

I take it this is your doing @trampa?

You sad, sad man.

23 Likes

Fuck, I thought in my head while watching “he said vesc, how funny would it be if frank lost it over that”

It’s actually not funny :confused:

12 Likes

wasn’t the top comment something like, “watch out you may summon frank” then this happened.

3 Likes

There are so many videos that say VESC in the title, thumbnail and video yet mine is the only one that gets a copywrite infringement… :thinking:

Its almost like hes targeted me for some commercial reason.

27 Likes

This is an illegal strike too afaik. You can’t be striked for a trademark when not selling goods or services or using it in a commercial setting.

He’s already illegally struck my ebay listing. Its beyond dumb at this point

19 Likes