Trampa Trademark & VESC Tool Discussions (serious)

Well, we can’t trust the latest firmware. So no one really gives a shit about your opinion at this point, many others are doing it as well for this reason…

Step up or step out Grampa.

4 Likes

VESC-Tool supports old firmware, so you can simply use the old FW if you like.
It makes no difference if you use a new or old VESC-Tool to configure your FW, as long as the FW is supported by VESC-Tool. VESC-Tool actually changes its UX, according to the FW found on the device.

I cant download vesc tool 3.0.0 from the vesc project website. That’s a problem.

You can wind back the clock to whatever date you like and get the FW you want.

Or, you know, the link to vesc tool 3.0.0 could be available. Why do I have to jump through hoops to use stable firmware?

@xsynatic send us to jail already

1 Like

Especially since it’s unclear which FW version you need for which ESC hardware; vesc tool auto detects it making things easy.

Also hilarious that there’s no V3.00 branch in github, you have to cross check the release date if you want to be sure :man_facepalming: And make sure the firmware you need was actually built and pushed for that version.

@YUTW123 if trampa continues bothering you about it, you can clone / provide a download for variESC Tool to make your changes, since it has all trademarked logos removed :heart:

2 Likes

Because the VESC-Tool will change itself back automatically when it finds older FW.
3.01 will then become like 3.00. VESC-Tool is not static, it changes according to the FW.
The times where you need a specific Tool for a specific FW are looooooooooooong gone.

Having a specific version of the tool is still the easiest way to GET a certain firmware.

We also then don’t need to worry about whether the tool will change its UI or not, because everything is already as designed for that FW version.

5 Likes

This a very painful way to handle things. Since you might have the desktop version and the mobile app…
The app in the Google App Store will always be the latest version anyway. In consequence Vedder rather chose to code VESC-Tool to adopt to the FW found.
So instead of having version confusion, Vedder chose to code a smarter software that actually works with all older FW versions.

On a mobile platform, this makes sense. The app will auto update through the native app store and still be compatible with all FW.

On a desktop platform, however, it doesn’t make sense. The desktop VESC-Tool has no built in or external update mechanism. Therefore, for most people on the forums who run FW 5.2, all VESC-Tool 3.01 does for us over 3.00 is look pretty, at the cost of making it harder for us to reflash our ESCs.

If older versions of firmwares for all variants were easily accessible (not only by going through the GitHub commit history), I would gladly use the latest VESC-Tool on all platforms.

1 Like

FW5.2 is just a few clicks away…

This is the problem.

4 Likes

Is it? Just open a thread with FW versions and links… Downloads faster than the entire Tool and only consumes some KB on your HDD.

Agreed 100%. It’s nearly impossible to find all the firmware versions with no release tags or anything. You basically have to browse the history by date and hope you get the final release and not something pre-bug fix. Thank skateboard Jesus for the precompiled vesc tool thread.

From 5.03 and on it looks like he’s adding each release as a new branch which will help.

14 Likes

This is a very bold statement, considering it’s nigh impossible for the average user to figure out how to install an older version of firmware from VESC-Tool.

7 Likes

I can open a thread with the links to the FWs at release date.
Then you can simply click the link and you will find the FW you are looking for.
Very simple and only a few minutes of work really.

11 Likes

Github already has this functionality, you simply choose not to use it. It’s even simpler, and even less work, really.

5 Likes

This would be perfect!

1 Like

Guys, this is getting derailed real quick and nobody is gonna benefit from that. Not the vendor, not the people seeking support for their products, not the people arguing over features or licenses.

• The GPL not being honored is a problem. The community and Vedder (or in his absence @Trampa) should discuss that with the manufacturer, but for god’s sake, elsewhere That seems to have been properly addressed. Thanks @jaykup !!
  • A trademark infringement should again be adressed elsewhere (independently from our feelings on the subject of a logo vs. possible software/hardware issues…)
  • Being able to do things a certain way doesn’t make it ok or convenient. I’m a software developer, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t love to just fucking select a FW version from the latest available VESC tool, let it download it from the internet and flash it directly withouth having to go through any hoops. @Trampa OSS software and all the hard work Vedder has offered for free over the years doesn’t shield anyone from fair criticism. Getting defensive and discusing legalese is not a good way to handle it.
  • It’s understandable that the reduced team that actively contributes code to the VESC project cannot test every possible HW/SW combo, but a lot can be done to at least make it less dangerous to test and contribute to the project without risking damaged hardware or personal injury.

Let’s try to be civil, maintain a conversation. Open bug reports, document workarounds and findings, provide manufacturer insight, contribute code or any way you can.

FFS.

5 Likes

I will do this tomorrow. I will also describe how to upload older FW and why you don’t need an older VESC-Tool and where the GIT repository is and how to set back the clock etc.

Edit: VESC-Tool and VESC FW versions

11 Likes