Track racing - setup and riding style

Edited the video a little different. Now the 2020 video have the start / stop points as in 2019 video. So in this video we see the overall difference in the whole lap.

5 Likes

Yesterday was binding day. I have been very hesitant to try bindings because the idea of being strapped to the board sounded dangerous and not being able to move around felt unnatural and not helpfull.

Apparently bindings and the possibility that they make you faster on the short track are a subject that poke someones stomach a great deal bringing out a heated debate with adhomien and the likes. Please if you chime in here, do it respectfully :slight_smile:

I got my self a set of mbs f5 bindings. I first started with also the heel strap, but I quickly fund out that I properly don’t need them. And they makes you strap in really tight with no option to pull your foot out. I like to have the sense of being able to pull my foot out. Real or not.

I thought I needed some time to adjust to the binding, but I didn’t. After like 10 min. and after the first fear of things being different (which they were only to the better) I gave in and went hard. And first lap doing that took me well under my previous best time. I continued and ended 0.76 sec. better than before this session. And thats from a time I have been dancing around for some time now trying to figure how I could get a significant improvement.

So what did I gain from the bindings.

Not needing to move the front foot. I have been moving my front foot around to be able to get the leverage I needed to take the sharp corners and hairpins. When moving the foot it stir up the balance making thing less smooth. And I some time experienced wheelspin in accelerations because the weight over the motors decreased or were gone.
I could use the bindings to get the leverage to do to cornering without moving the front foot. This really made a huge difference in how smooth I could go through the double hairpins. And I could start accelerating sooner.
I have tried different things to decrease the need to move the foot around. Narrower deck. Different platform heights etc. But nothing really worked. This works.

Better acceleration and deceleration. Just as the foot wedge helps in acceleration, the bindings help that as well. There is more to push against in both. Making me both accelerate and brake earlier and later.

Cornering. The leverage I got form the binding made me “attack” the corners more aggressively. They secured my foot so I didn’t have to worry about the foot slipping off the board. The last thing is properly more just a feeling than a real problem. But have cleared that from my mind I could concentrate on other things.
I do want to lift my rear heel when doing toe side turns and use the ball of the foot to press down. That is more difficult with the bindings. But I fund that it is possible to have little movement in the bindings getting me close to what I want in that regard.

Smoothness…. this is a big one. All the above led to me being much more smooth. The transition from turn to turn. The acceleration and deacceleration. The leaning in corners. Smooooth. And one of the things I have learnt to be true is that the smoother I am the faster I am.

I fund that having the binding loose putting my foot in and tighten the strap, felt better than having the binding in a fix position and putting in my foot.

Next… I am still in the progress of making the yobis bindings. I want to try them as well. And then time will tell. I might even take some of the advice from the upset people out there :slight_smile:

41.50 sec
40.50 sec.
38.93 sec.
38.53 sec.
37.67 sec.
37.49 sec.
38.78 sec.
37.19 sec.
36.96 sec.
36.66 sec.
36.29 sec.
36.27 sec.
35.59 sec.
35.43 sec.
35.31 sec.
34.99 sec.
34.35 sec.
34.31 sec
33.55 sec.

11 Likes

I figured this would be the case, thank you for finally going there! I actually enjoyed watching people get so bent about your post hahahaha

4 Likes

David .7 tenths of a second is a big drop. 30mph is 40ft per second.
Substantial difference for sure. Hard to take advice from “experts” who have never raced a powered board. There are no amount of words that can convince someone who has their mind made already. The track will decide. I also enjoyed the banter on FB. His world will have an all different perspective after World Cup. I guess he will be racing a meepo copy. Exway pro

7 Likes

Man your getting quick. im so jealous of your track access.

what facebook is this? if you have a racing facebook group i would love to know where i can find it.

1 Like

It was here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/electricskate/555550295033337/?comment_id=555673251687708&reply_comment_id=555903031664730&notif_id=1580350790670392&notif_t=group_comment

2 Likes

Hahaha bro…

Have you ever just tried… Getting that top track time without bindings? Must not know how to skate.

p.s. - your ankles are going to begin to exponentially weaken. I might suggest… some naturally sourced milk to attempt to offset the impending atrophy. While you’re at it, put a lil bit in your bearings, and begin to use it in place of threadlocker…

4 Likes

Second session with bindings. I will continue my bold statements from last week. If you dont have bindings you won’t be a player in this game. Proof me wrong (would love to be proofed wrong) but you can’t.

I got to know them a lot better today. I see that there is a great deal of exploring and learning to do to figure how I use them best and to find the correct placement.

Last week I had them pretty tight. But today I fund that I needed to be able to turn both the front foot but especially the rear foot around to get the optimal riding. Not move them around but turn them. So I ended up having the bindings pretty loose. The rear more than the front.

It is in the toe side turns they have the biggest effect, and especially in the double hairpins where I can get really quickly from one to the next. And it is especially the rear foot that steers in the topside turns. The leverage I get form the binding over the front of the foot that drives the leverage.

I began to get a lot lower in my stance. Something that I have been wanting for for time now. Now with the leverage over the front of my foot that is possible. This makes the cornering faster and on the stretch (a long hairpin) I get more speed.

When I want to get lower in my stance squatting, I have to lift the rear heel. I got very tight achilles tendon after a operation so I cant squat without lifting the heel. This is also why I need loose bindings. I squat down, needs to lift the heel and need the binding to be loose in order to be able to list the heel. I also need to adjust the position of the rear binding to get the perfect foot placement and heel lift.

Everything else is still valid from last week.

Better acceleration and deceleration. I see this in how much the battery sacks. I have set the lipo warnings at 3.7. Normally the start beeping when acceleration hard after 50 min. Now the start beeping after 30.

Not needing to move the fromt foot. Big one!

Speed has increased a great deal today. I am now maxing out the throttle on the long straight (Long hairpin). ESC set at 60% power that means around 60 km/h / 37 mph. But I need to speed gun it to be sure

Smoothness…. Because of the added speed both on the straight lines and in the corners timing needs to be a little different. I was sailing a little bit today. This normally takes a session or two to get sorted.

I cut time by 1.23 sec. It blew my mind. I am now as fast as most of the go-kart drives. Only the really good ones are still faster. But they were pretty impressed. Over two sessions I have cut time by 2 sec. after the bindings. This is crazy. It have normally taken me 3-4 session to cut 1 sec.

I also fell today. The last lap I did going out of the last double hairpin (topside turn). Can’t figure if I lost traction or motor cut out shortly. After the fall I noticed a loose phase wire.

I had no change for recovery. One moment I was standing. The next I was lying there.
One foot stay in the binding the other got out. The one that stay were the tightest. But no twisted knee or anything. It was surprisingly non dramatic.

41.50 sec
40.50 sec.
38.93 sec.
38.53 sec.
37.67 sec.
37.49 sec.
38.78 sec.
37.19 sec.
36.96 sec.
36.66 sec.
36.29 sec.
36.27 sec.
35.59 sec.
35.43 sec.
35.31 sec.
34.99 sec.
34.35 sec.
34.31 sec
33.55 sec.
32.32 sec.

9 Likes

Sick dude. I’d really like to see what you have to say about the newest iteration of @dani YoBi half bindings and the freeboards. I know somebody on the forum just got a large order of freebord bindings in to sell. Will try to find out who that is again.

Get away from bullet connectors. Use an MR-60 and double zip tie that shit for phase connectors. Can’t risk friction alone keeping shit together at those speeds. Falling sucks. Needs to be a positively locked Mechanical connection

5 Likes

@Bindings_McGee if you find out I think @Agressivstreetlamp might want a set…

On another note, Sydney return my dang texts! :joy: I kid I kid…

1 Like

Da faak… PM me I think I broke messages…

Wholly shit! 1.23 seconds faster?

1 Like

Why yes, yes I would love some.

@Bindings_McGee

1 Like

It was @EboardSolutions

Let’s not say anything else here tho as to not clutter thread

2 Likes

Yeah… It really surprised me. And there should be more. I am beginning to think that it should be possible to be as fast as the karts. But maybe it is too big a bite.

2 Likes

good to hear your getting faster. just curious, whats the app your using for lap timings?

1 Like

I think the app is the venue’s lap tracker with a transducer on the rider

2 Likes

Its an app for the phone. Laptracker. A transducer for the venues system was crazy expensive. Laptracker works perfect if you are the only one on the track. And its really cheap.

4 Likes

Bad idea don’t do this
8mm 170a. MR60 30a 3.5mm

Congrats, can’t wait to see how you do at the mobility games. :checkered_flag:

4 Likes

use2

…jus double up

Unless you’re talking - there’s a serious need for 170A per phase lead? Damn that be beefy. I presume some sort of retention mech can be rigged around the 8mm bullets tho. Zip-Ties around the wire right after the heat-shrink diameter step-down and then one bridging the two.

2 Likes