TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

will do brotha @torqueboards , about to go for a ride within the hour and will take a couple for this thread for you :raised_hands:

2 Likes

yeet do it!

2 Likes

Spaced but managed to snap a couple on my ride before the sun went down at least… @torqueboards

8 Likes

There’s a black top path about 10-15ft wide all around that reservoir you can see that I ride everyday that is basically a 1.85 mile race track and no cars are aloud either. Funnest thing in the world and nice having it be only a 2-3 minute ride up the hill from my pad. Just an FYI.

3 Likes

Anyone tested 4WD yet? Looking at this setup for my first overkill DIY. Would the 90kv motors have enough torque for 160mm wheels if its 4WD? Or should I stick with the 75kv?

I would recomend 75, 90 kv would give you a bit more speed, but dang man a 4wd 75kv already puts you in the mid 40s for mph maybe more if you go 12s and thats on thane, if you go pneumatics…I would be terrified of the possible speed

1 Like

150s are definitely ok on the 75KV, been selling direct drive evos with Janux wheels. Based on that 160s should also be ok, but time will tell.

3 Likes

Thats definitely what i am thinking, yeah. My thought process on this is basically thinking about “too much torque potential” vs “too much speed potential.” The fastest I have gone on an eboard is 27mph down a hill, and I hit an expansion joint in an overpass which put me to the ground right quick haha. So I probably would not go very much past 30mph. That makes think that either kv will be “too much speed potential” so I would probably limit it in the VESC. That said, I can imagine either kv having “too much torque potential” in 4WD as well. Limiting torque is done by limiting Amps to the motors (as far as I understand). Limiting too speed is as easy as putting a cap on erpm. If I limit total Amps, then I would be losing hill climb ability as well as off the line torque, right? So i am thinking it would be better to have to limit ermo more, if I am going to limit one (or both). Thoughts?

1 Like

Hi Jansen, are the new motors you received from Batch #3 ?

I sent my Batch #1 motors back because of excessive heat and power consumption (35+ WH/mi !!) and a serious cogging issue once they got warm.

Since I was promised to be the first dispatch of B3 motors, which will have temp sensor functionality, I’m curious to know if yours are from this batch, and how long you had to wait for replacements.

I’m currently sat on about 6 months wait since I returned them. (Original motors purchased on release day back in Nov last year)

Let me tell you this, I have done 43 on my board with 2wd dd, 75kv. Granted these were not TB, but still similar. I had lots of speed but not enough torgue to get up long steep hills. I wouldn’t mess with your erpm limits. If I understand it correctly if you free roll down hill past your erpm limit bad things could happen. Another consideration is heating, although with 4wd heating should not be as much of an issue. Also with 75kv you would get better efficiency. Something else you can do to limit the torgue is get a remote like the flipsky vx1 it has 3 settings: low, medium and high. As far as I can tell it doesnt change your top speed at all but changes your acceleration or torgue. After going above 40 mph and falling at 35+ I have come to learn that for me there is absolutely no reason to go faster then 30, unless it’s on some sort of track and I am super suited up.

Thank you very much for your input on this! Which direct drives where you using for you 43mph build? And which wheels? I would probably never cruise above 30mph, but I like the idea of being able to go faster if I ever give up on life :joy: I think you are right about going with the 75kv.

Mad hubs dd conversion from @rey8801 powerful! If you dont have many hills where you ride…I would just do 2wd. 4wd deffinetly a must for steep long hills.

1 Like

Im thinking 4WD mostly so I can do 6" pneumatics or larger, and still have enough power for hills or offroading. Also because I want to go way overkill haha.

1 Like

Yeah you will be very overkill with 4wd lol

@Skyart I hope you tested that with the direct drive setup and not with the hub wheel attachments. I think you are because you referred to the DD Conversion.

@BenjaminF We have them now in stock. :slight_smile: :+1: Site hasn’t been updated yet though.

3 Likes

Yes tested with 2 diffrent sets of the converted hubs

1 Like

How did the AT wheel on DD testing go? What Kv works best for the 160mm 2WD setup that you showed earlier in this thread? Any word on when those AT wheels will be up on the site? Thanks!

They work good on 75KV. I wouldn’t put them on a 90KV unless 4WD.

Although, when you compare to actually being able to change gearing ratios for AT Tires. Personally, I prefer belt/gear drive but that’s more so my personal preference. The smoothness and silent riding on direct drives is insane too (Non AT Tires).

So hard to pick honestly. That’s why we’ll still end up having belt/gear and direct drive. I’d be happy with any but I like ALL lol.

We should have them soon. Will try and confirm soon. Hopefully in a month or so.

3 Likes

@torqueboards. Will the precision trucks come online soon? And can I swap in a set on my TB DDs?

I went up a SERIOUS Hawaiian hill (mountainside) with my TB DDs and 110mm thane for about 1/3 mile at a comfortable speed, slowing for speed humps and gently accelerating afterward. I paused to take in the view and the motor cans weren’t very hot at all.

So yeah, I’d imagine that 4wd DDs would do great on hills. Gonna be heavy AF though!

7 Likes

@TheCatMan We have the precision trucks but no colors for TB DD atm. You could just change out front truck if you wanted.

1 Like