TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

yeah, always calibrate with wheels/pulleys/belts off.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that’s a myth.

1 Like

Alright, I found the post about thermal paste eliminating the motor chatter/movement but I’m gonna need @torqueboards to help me understand why the motors would be stuttering in sensored FOC (Unity) at 65 amps and beyond. It’s really only happening at sub 5 mph. It’s quite annoying but other than this issue I have been impressed so far.

@Meeep I calibrate with wheels. I would need a video of what you’re referring too (You can send an email). You can try and put some bearing oil on the cir-clip area and bearing area. Typically, that clears up any added sounds that you may hear.

1 Like

Man , just wanted to say I love these DD, I had to create a profile in vesc app to tone down the acceleration for me.
I recently recovered from a bad fall on another board, so iam taking it easy.
Free rolls like a dream on flat terrain.
Ty @torqueboards for helping me fine tune my issues.

5 Likes

@torqueboards Hi Dexter, on one of my motor, this part is moving:

Is it something I can fix myself ? Does it affect the motor itself ?

Thank you,

1 Like

That’s just a circlip, so movement is no issue.

7 Likes

Any chance to buy these wheels for TBDD before Christmas?
On your website I see that you can buy the wheels, but I don’t see any type of adapter for the TBDD.

1 Like

If it’s rattling and bothering you, use a toothpick to put a few small drops of superglue around it

3 Likes

@ThomasL Glue works as @Pedrodemio mentioned. It’s okay if that moves and/or it’s okay if it doesn’t. It’s just meant to keep the bearing from popping out.

2 Likes

Umm, it might seep into the bearing a little. Not that it will make anything stick because of the grease, but it might be a bad idea.

If the c clip is moving n shouldn’t be it’s either grabbing the seal and rotating, unlikely, or the bearing’s race is moving n shouldn’t be. Maybe take the bearing off n glue it down if it’s loose

Yeah, you have to be careful, just the tip of a toothpick, and just on the external side

@torqueboards I never sent in a support email/video but now I don’t think it’s necessary. I thought you’d like to know that the low speed stuttering on sensored FOC was pretty much eliminated when I changed the "Sensored to sensorless transition RPM from 3000 to 5500rpm (max the unity app allows).

I am going to go into the FOCBOX Tool and increase this value more and see if it fixes it entirely. I also vaguely remember @BillGordon saying something about increasing this value on the Elofty direct drives thread.

With this issue narrowed down/fixed, I am thoroughly enjoying these drives. I have wanted a set since the 2018 announcement and ogling at Carvon drives in 2017. Excellent work, you should be proud of what you’ve accomplished! Consider me a happy customer :slight_smile:

EDIT: Changing the transition RPM from 5500 to 10000rpm has eliminated the issue completely.

5 Likes

@torqueboards, I love my new cnc trucks!! Gotta ask why no clear coat though? :raising_hand_woman: The matte finish was surprising lol but some high gloss enamel fixed that real quick.

It would have looked weird with those shiny new motor mounts

9 Likes

@torqueboards sorry if anyone ask this already but for the Torqueboard direct drive, how long is the DD from axle to axle. I didn’t want to assume that it’s the same as your new CNC trucks.
BTW how long until you put the AT adapter on your site?

@Gee I think it’s about 330mm. Would be same as CNC Trucks. Maybe 1 month for AT Adapters they are in production now :+1:

1 Like

@torqueboards On your site it said axle to axle length is 244mm…So 330 mm or 244mm?

• HANGER LENGTH - 220mm / 8.66"
  • AXLE LENGTH - 25mm Axle Length + 12mm Shoulder Length + 11mm Threaded Axle = 49mm / 1.92"
  • AXLE TO AXLE LENGTH - 244mm / 9.60"
1 Like

@Gee 330mm is with 110mm wheels from end to end. That axle to axle length is actually wrong. It would be 318mm. Thanks for catching that. :+1:

2 Likes

What motor amps is everyone else using on these?

I’ve tried pushing my 90kv set up to 100 motor amps per motor and noticed some cogging under full throttle, I guess the stator is being saturated. I never had this kind of cogging under full load at 80A, might give 90A a try.

1 Like