TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give anyone a heads up about maintenance. I’ve had the drives for just over 2 years now. I’ve been running them at 10s 70-80 amps the entire time with TB110 78A’s. I have loctited the axle threads after a user here detailed their experience with loose axles a few months ago. Recently one of my wheels was a bit clicky so I took the wheels off and loctitied the adapter screws as they had started to get loose. Other than these two things, rotating the wheels once, and oiling the bearings they have performed just as well as when I got them! I know there has been so issues with TB so I’m just trying to share my good experience and keep everyone running smoothly!

Happy and safe riding!

The starhead screws shown below needed securing. (I used a piece of tape to keep track of the screws I’ve loctited.)

6 Likes

its been like a week of owning the dd and i managed to bend the axle lol :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

:eyes:

9 Likes

Unexpected CS win there.

1 Like

All of the happy ending massages are getting me somewhere with Dex.

4 Likes

You’ve seen this thread right?

2 Likes

Yeah, but that requires functional axles, which I don’t have.

1 Like

I have some. I can send to u for cost of postage if u like. But I’m in Australia. I sold the board a while ago so just lying around.

2 Likes

I appreciate the offer! We’ll see what dex’s timeline for the steel hangers is. If its far, then i’ll likely take you up on that

2 Likes

I hope u have better luck than me. I’m not exagerating when I say i waited over 6months for Dex’s ‘stronger’ one off hanger he said he’d do for me.

That’s why the Radium ones came about. I kept bitching in an Australian FB thread and Glyphiks got it going for me.

Best of luck. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re just sourced through Radium lol

7 Likes

Is he asking you to pay for the “hypothetical” steel hanger?

Nope. He’s telling me I can wait for them, then buy

We have a batch of steel hangars coming in about 3 weeks. Probably the last batch too

6 Likes

I just did motor detection through the stormcore, sensored FOC. Can I confirm that 64 milli-Ohms and 32 amps are normal for these 90kv directs? I thought that the resistance was perhaps a bit high.

I got similar results for my 85kv drives

1 Like

Are my drives acting right? There’s quite the rolling noise in slow speed and non-trivial amount of vibration at max rpm. 95kv.

I think it may be chattering on the truck. Theres a small patch of double sided foam tape that holds motor to truck and sometimes it loosens. Re-taping may help

2 Likes

Do you have a specific thickness in mind? The gap is extremely small. Also, I heard that you were supposed to use thermal tape?

I’m not sure. There’s a video earlier in this thread (June 2020; 276/733) from Torqueboards showing the fix.

2 Likes

I am still somewhat paranoid. I narrowed the vibration problem down to just one of the drives. When I take the motor out of the axle and spin it in my hands(the vesc driving the motor when I am holding it by the inner shaft) I can confirm that the motor is in fact vibrating a non-trivial amount but the vibration is for some reason intermit. There was also some noise inside the motor(light brushing and clinging on the can) but it seem like opening the case is impossible unless you have the right tools. It would vibration hard during low to medium speed, vibration only a little during medium, and vibrate hard again during full duty. Is there some reference vibration/sound that I can compare my drives to?