TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Went today for a short ride to test skateboard.
When I add a little gas there is a little strange sound coming out of right motor, but if I do gas over half it accelerates normally with okay sound. Same with breaking, if I brake with a little power or full brake or if I brake for a longer time or if I am near stop, there is similar sound as if I add a little gas ti accelerate.

I am new to electric skateboards and this sound is a little strange as if something inside motor was scratching or rubbing to something. I just want to make sure that everything is okay so I can normally ride.

1 Like

I think it might just be the motor a little loose on the hanger. Just take the motor off and add some kapton tape or electrical tape to the hanger where the motor sits. Then go ahead and slide the motor back on and it should sit without rocking.

Additional comment:

Let us know if this resolves the issue (I’m fairly certain it will)

2 Likes

Yea that motor from where this sound is comming is a little loose, I mean I could take it of by hand.
Today shops are closed so I will try and fix this tomorrow and see if it is better. But thats good that nothing is wrong with the motor :).

Thank you sir for that information

1 Like

Yea you should be able to just remove the axle nut and slide the entire motor off the hanger. Then just add a little tape on the thick portion of the hanger nearest to the middle. Then slide the motor back on and add the lock nut.

Should only take a couple mins at most.

5 Likes

@NEKDO1 - Yeah, that sound you’re getting is what I call collar chatter.

You can add some thermal paste or thermal tape to the hanger.

@Ahrav You hired… Ahrav to the rescue.

9 Likes

@NEKDO1

Here’s a video.

12 Likes

Hey guys. I would need help again.
So I have added that termal tape to the hangar and it is slightly better with noise. From time to time it is gone but then comes back and then goes again.
But I have bigger concern. Brake is still not working as it should be. Here is video of riding down a small hill and testing brake. If I increase brake it is braking, but when I come to full brake there is that Hrrr noise and high pitch noise like something is rubbing and frying inside motor. When I almost stop, I am riding at 2km/h that noise disapears but I am still moving and skateboard isnt braking but I am holding brake at full power. This can be seen on video at the end.
Its like as I said when braking and decreasing speed brake is loosing power and to full stop I need to stop by foot.
This is a huge safety problem to me, like a car which cant be fully stopped with brakes.

So I was told to ride it, and now I cant refund it, I would need help ASAP so I can use it and feel safe on it.
Probably it is something wrong with that motor, or maybe I have set something wrong on VESC.
Thanks for all help.

2 Likes

Post up your vESC settings so people can check what (if anything) is wrong with them.

I have setted motors on BLDC, hall sensored mode, 70A, -70A, 30A, -8A, 12S. I dont know what exactly info to put so here are all settings. For programing I have used VESC tool 2.03
Hope this data helps.

Master VESC
Motor settings-general-general
Motor type: BLDC
Invert motor direction: True
Sensor Port Mode: Hall Sensores
ABI encoder counts: 8192
Motor settings-general-current
Motor current: 70A
Brake current: -70A
Amsolute maximum current: 130A
Show ABS current Limit: True
Max Current Scale: 100%
Battery current: 30A
Battery regen: -8A
DRV8301 OC Mode: Current LImit
DRV8601 OC Adjustment: 16
Mottor settings-general-voltage
Battery start: 40,8V
Battery end: 37,20V
Motor settings-BLDC-general
Sensor mode: Hybrid
Commutation mode: Integrate
Startup boost: 0,010
Motor settings-BLDC-sensors
Sensorless ERPM hybrid: 2000
Hall table0: 6
Hall table1: 5
Hall table2: 3
Hall table3: 4
Hall table4: 1
Hall table5: 6
Hall table6: 2
Hall table7: 6
App settings-general
APP to use: PPM
VESC ID: 0
Timeout: 1000ms
Timeout brake current: 0A
CAN status mode: CAN_STATUS_DISABLED
CAN status rate: 500Hz
CAN baud rate: CAN_BAUD_500K
Pairing done: False
Enable permanent UART: false
Shutdown mode: OFF_AFTER_30M
CAN mode: VESC
UAVCAN ESC Index: 0
App settings-PPM-general
Control type: Current no reverse with brake
Median filter: True
Safe start: True
PID Max ERPM: 15000
Positive ramping time: 0,40s
Negative ramping time: 0,20s
Max ERPM for direction switch: 4000
Smart reverse max duty cycle: 7%
Smart reverse ramp time: 3,00s
Multiple VESCs over CAN: True
Traction control: True
TC max ERPM Difference: 3000

Slave VESC
Motor settings-general-general
Motor type: BLDC
Invert motor direction: True
Sensor Port Mode: Hall Sensores
ABI encoder counts: 8192
Motor settings-general-current
Motor current: 70A
Brake current: -70A
Amsolute maximum current: 130A
Show ABS current Limit: True
Battery current: 30A
Battery regen: -8A
DRV8301 OC Mode: Current LImit
DRV8601 OC Adjustment: 16
Mottor settings-general-voltage
Battery start: 40,8V
Battery end: 37,20V
Motor settings-BLDC-general
Sensor mode: Hybrid
Commutation mode: Integrate
Startup boost: 0,010
Motor settings-BLDC-sensors
Sensorless ERPM hybrid: 2000
Hall table0: 6
Hall table1: 5
Hall table2: 3
Hall table3: 4
Hall table4: 1
Hall table5: 6
Hall table6: 2
Hall table7: 6
App settings-general
APP to use: No APP
VESC ID: 1
Timeout: 1000ms
Timeout brake current: 0A
CAN status mode: CAN_STATUS_DISABLED
CAN status rate: 500Hz
CAN baud rate: CAN_BAUD_500K
Pairing done: False
Enable permanent UART: false
Shutdown mode: OFF_AFTER_30M
CAN mode: VESC
UAVCAN ESC Index: 0
App settings-PPM-general
Control type: Off
Median filter: True
Safe start: True
PID Max ERPM: 15000
Positive ramping time: 0,40s
Negative ramping time: 0,20s
Max ERPM for direction switch: 4000
Smart reverse max duty cycle: 7%
Smart reverse ramp time: 3,00s
Multiple VESCs over CAN: False
Traction control: True
TC max ERPM Difference: 3000

2 Likes

I’m gunna askzzz @b264 to try n remedy…

He stuffs about stuff…

Change this to Control Mode: Current Hyst Reverse With Brake

Then below this speed, whatever you set it for,

Max ERPM for direction switch: 3500

you can tap brake, let go, then hold brake to engage reverse, which will completely stop you.

2 Likes

Dis isss da shyttttt… so niceeeee

2 Likes

I’m using TBDD 75kv in Current Mode with reverse speed limit. I’m happy with its braking power. :wink:
It delivers predictable braking, even on downhill slopes.

2 Likes

Thanks for that advice. Will try it. Actually this below speed I didnt change anything, it is stock setted. I just change what I was told to.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Will look into it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay so I changed that setting, and then I needed to change setting on slave VESC can status mode to CAN_STATUS_1. Skateboard is working now and brake is more powerful and now if I full stop I have reverse, which I didnt had on settings before, but still issue is when I brake when I almost stop (going 2km/h) motors get silent and they arent braking anymore. I need to stop with foot, then foot again on skateboard and then I can go forward or reverse.

Am I overreacting or is this normal? Skateboard doesnt fully stop, is this normal and you guys have same thing or is something wrong?

If you’re in “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” mode you need to release the throttle and then brake again for it to go into reverse / fully break I guess. You could also try just regular “Current Smart Reverse”, which doesn’t require that.

I accelerate and then cruised around, when needed to brake hit brake, release then brake again, when I almost stopped (driving aroung 2km/h) brake stopped, motors went silent and still moved morward while I was holding full brake.

Try changing Battery regen: -8A to -30A

At low speeds that shouldn’t matter that much. Although it definitely is a bit low.

1 Like