Bearing problem on Torqueboards Direct Drive

Another person named Timo!

We’re now at 3… At least

Good luck with the build, hopefully you can get the adapters from dex easily.

Oohh Germany. Ouch

1 Like

Yapp, we’re everywhere :grimacing:

PS: Bearing down?

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what an old bearings sounds like. Might be a bit dry, or might have some sand in it or something.

Any ideas how to get to the places of the motor that make it possible to clean/change the bearing?
Also would sewing-machine-oil work?

I had that rattle on my TB DDs fresh out of the box, but only on one side. Like others have said above, just slide the motor can off the axle and wrap some tape around the axle (I needed only one layer of insulation tape) and slide the motor can back over it. The tape then takes up the slack and the rattle has gone. I agree the noise sounds like an expensive fault, but it is easily fixed. A metal shim would be better, but I didn’t have any to hand at the time and the rattle has still not come back even with the tape ‘fix’.

1 Like

your bearings sound dry AF…

@dex to the rescue

4 Likes

@kook to the rescue. :+1: :innocent:

7 Likes

The noise does definitely not come from the motor mounts. I already tried lubricating through the seal, but the grinding and clicking stays.
I’d be ready for instructions on how to change the bearings. Would using c-clip-pliers to be able to remove the bearing seal be advisable? No idea if cleaning a bearing without being able to fully remove it from the can is even possible…

@wh4ck You already tried adding bearing oil? You need a jig to be able to remove everything.

1 Like

Yes, i did. Still sounds horrible.

Do you have a picture of the device you use for this type of work? Maybe i could improvise one.

The motors were bought around July 2019. Considering you wrote on builders that yours did several thousand kilometers i’m not willing to give up on mine, yet.

1 Like

@wh4ck I’ll probably have a video in the future. But this should give you an idea.

5 Likes

Are you pressing the bearing into its seat by applying force on the inner race?

1 Like

YIKES

3 Likes

No, this is only how to get access to the stator.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for the reply! I have to say you got me worried there for a while. In any case, it would be interesting to inspect some of the failed bearings, if they have failed for some people. Improper installation by applying force through the rolling elements may cause damage like this
image image

Opening failed bearings also tells us a story about lubrication.

Images from http://www.learneasy.info/MDME/MEMmods/MEM30009A/Bearings/Bearings.html

2 Likes

Yeah, if you need anything let me know. Any findings I’d be interested to know also.

2 Likes

Soooooo…

if i get that right with an improvised contraption like shown i could hammerpush the thing on which “75kv” is written out of the outer housing, which will then somehow give me access to the bearings?
Still not sure where to put dick…
Could you elaborate on dismantlement steps or even provide some rudimentary sort of schematic?

I’d appreciate any help

Cheers

1 Like

You’ll have to push the inner stator axle which is on the front of the motor on the inside diameter of the front bearing.

Ofc the retainer ring needs to be removed.

Removed the c-rings and removed the seal-rings. Are the bearings sealed on both sides? If so I’d hold the motor open bearing down and flood it with wd40. Afterwards i’d regrease the whole bearing.
Good idea - bad idea?

2 Likes

Yeah, sounds like a plan. After cleaning it, try to inspect the bearing inner and outer races for any damage. Dents, scuff marks, discoloration, anything other than a shiny smooth surface.