Iā€™m just joking bb.

Sort of.

Not really.

Get more S

5 Likes

Can confirm

5 Likes

Another looser checking in :smiley:

My ebike being 6S makes it even more looser?

6 Likes

Omg such a dweeb :rofl:

2 Likes

4 Likes

My cruiser is on 8s thank you very much. :triumph:

2 Likes

Build a jump deck and get back to me on that one :sunglasses:

10s3p P42a is a good jump pack that can push some amps like a little lipo would but will last a whole skate session at a park still.

4 Likes

3p is micropeen :flushed: iā€™m not sure I could deal. I feel the sag on my brand new 12s4p on urethane

1 Like

Summary at the race track says somthing to the contrary. Uphill, long track and short track.

6 Likes

Itā€™s like giving birth jumping more cells. I find 3p-4p to be the right middle ground for a park board l because you get the gravity assist and only use the pack like a mario kart mushroom

No way in hell Iā€™d use it for any normal ride though. That sag would be so 2017

1 Like

Fair. I hurt myself enough trying to keep all 4 wheels on the ground tho.

Not sure if I will ever build a proper jump board.

1 Like

Try explaining that to @Skyart :joy::joy: his boards must weigh 40kg on AVERAGE :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I get it, but your boards are so differentā€¦ Well the opposite really. High KV, high amps, low voltage. Also different ESC I believe?

The average person here has a 12s6-8p 21700 battery with ~180kv motors.
You Moe, are farrrrrr away from average.
Youā€™re a racing legend :tada:

1 Like

So according to that 3DS esk8 calculator, if you only change the cells in series say from 10 to 12S, the speed goes up but the torque goes down. This makes sense given that there is a tradeoff as described in this thread. Why is it then that Iā€™m often seeing people saying more cells in series is more power and more torque?

Thatā€™s not right. Raising your battery voltage will increase the maximum RPM of your motors and will give you ā€œfreeā€* top speed. If your wattage pull from the battery stays the same, it will take longer to get to your new top speed obviously but it will take the same amount of time to get to that old top speed.

*as most things in life, its not free obviously,

Using this boost in top speed, you can either
  • Drop your motor kV, giving you more torque from the motor (at the expense of slightly higher copper losses)
  • Increase your gear ratio (higher wheel pulley/smaller motor pulley), which gives you the drawback of more iron/magnet losses versus the original lower kv setup

Even with these additional losses from the motor, both will yield more torque.

Disclaimer: Iā€™m not an engineer (yet) and this is just my understanding of how this works. I chose the second option for my 16s mountainboard and it has a VERY healthy amount of torque.

3 Likes

Moar kv, moar gearing, moar voltage, moar gooder

2 Likes

motor current (and other stuff) decides the torque.

The 3ds calc does not have a motor current input, instead, it has a motor power input, and it uses the battery config (voltage) and P=IV (power=current*voltage or power/voltage=current) to estimate motor current which it then uses for torque calculations. So by increasing S count, your input voltage increases and so the calc lowers motor current to keep the total power the same. IMO this ā€œfeatureā€ is super annoying, but as far as i understand thatā€™s whatā€™s happening here.

i donā€™t feel like proofreading, tell me if any of that doesnā€™t make sense.

2 Likes