TOP rated prebuilt boards to consider Black carve 2,BKB duo etc.

Hey thanks for all the feedback but let’s circle back to my original ask. I’m not inquiring about range but torque and which of the 5 boards I mentioned would produce the most of it.
From the sounds of it due to the fact the BKB has a VESC based ESC and a new Xenith one that according to the reviews on their own site is capable of more torque than the standard one then the BKB is looking like the torque king here?
Has anyone on here actually ridden any of the other boards that can give their opinions?
These ones:

Eovan GTS Carbon pro
Lycaon TRX 2.0
Black Carve 2
Zealot S
BKB duo with the Xenith ESC

1 Like

Sadly I cannot offer any feedback on the torque of those… yet… I wanna ride every board out there haha

Anyway, yeah it is really hard to get an objective torque number, but I guess the best thing about the duo is you could reprogram if you wanted to.

I would tend to think that the duo could produce the most, but the evolve boards can be rockets too

2 Likes

I havn’t ridden any of these but based of parts the duo would be a fine choice

1 Like

I’ve got an Evolve GTX with the battery upgrade (10s4p 18650 Samsung 30Q) and it doesn’t really blow my hair back if you know what I mean, even in GT mode. Still get battery sag.

1 Like

Yeah I mean 10s4p of samsung 30q doesn’t have a ton of pushing power either. Something with 21700 cells would likely tend to be capable of more torque

2 Likes

Bkb duo has 10s3p and I think 30q cells or some other samsung cells. You’d still get sag.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the motor size?
Jared from BKB says the motors are 6354 I think it was but they put out 3000watts peak power.
The Zealot S has 875watt power but it still moves pretty good too as the older zealot got near top on the JohnPaulYT speed runs and hill testing.

Well motor size determines how hard you can run a motor for a certain amount of time so you can run a 6374 and a 6354 at the same amps but a 6374 will stay much cooler then a 6354. If you can, try going to group rides and testing others boards. In the end I think the bkb is going to have more torque because if the vesc but I could totally be wrong. Peace gotta get to bed

1 Like

I had a zealot and sold it but it didn’t sag on hills nearly as bad as the Evolve and yes it’s running 21700 cells so that could be why it seemed to pull harder to me.

1 Like

I’d actually flip the question and ask which youtubers don’t have this issue at all because we will have many fewer answers.

2 Likes

The BKB ones are 6354 and I actually had these motors on my DIY with a 12s7p, and they performed quite well. They were able to take about 55a per motor, never had a problem with them overheating either

They’re not bad at all. The leads could be a tad longer though

3 Likes

Eh the last Teamgee Behemoth doesn’t advertise mad speed and seems to deliver it’s 22-25mph :+1:t4: Need to wait for quality / reliability reports tho, their older boards with the super thin battery pouch used to have crap innards from what I’ve read…

Now Exway are dope and reliable despite small range, borrowed from @nono_fr experience who is kinda lightweight but rides hard! Speed is pretty close to advertised too.

I’m surprised OP didn’t consider adding Exway Flex or Riot in the list, or even the future Atlas at more expensive price…

What about Hoyt St 2wd boards or Metroboard X for a luxury alternative ? (Edit : My bad, Metroboard X, Hoyt St and Atlas are all above 2k price range)

Fits the bill of quality, repairable, street or AT, non hub motor powered boards with good specs I think.

@jason

4 Likes

Fine line between marketing and just plain lying. Carbon fiber decks are stiff and some people do prefer it. Evolve Carbon GTR decks are pure carbon fiber made from prepreg in a die, not foam core layup. Prepreg die spanks foam core layup for production in this case (see video below). @jason, a board based off of 10s3p 30q is not gonna do better than a board based off 10s4p 30q in regards to battery sag so you can scratch the BKB off your list if you prefer the Zealot over the GTX. Just my opinion, based off your feedback. I can’t speak to the other boards. Also, check out Facebook groups for info as there are more esk8 groups geared towards prebuilts. Might find better luck for info there if you can’t find the info you’re looking for here. Good luck.

1 Like

Not all youtubers…

Why do you think the prebuilt brands don’t send me any boards? You can’t be honest in this space and get boards to review.

17 Likes

Its the same as that esk8supply esc. Locked to the remote and not overly capable.

2 Likes

To the OP…

This really isn’t the greatest place to be asking the questions you are asking. Basically the majority of us will tell you that all the options are shit and you should just build your own.

That said, if I had to choose between any of the options you listed, i’d 100% choose the BKB.

9 Likes

true that!

3 Likes

Lee,
I agree 100% with your statement and I subscribe to and very much enjoy your content. Thanks for doing what you do, much respect for your honest opinions and insight, you have cleared up some grey areas for me. That’s one of the reasons I came here to inquire because the DIY builders know and have dealt with many if not all the questions I am curious about. It’s not easy to find straight answers and that’s the main reason I came here in search of some explanations regarding battery size, output, motor size and output and how it relates to what the ESC can deliver.
I realize that I am a slow learner and probably skim too much but I’m still trying to sort out the relation of how those 3 things determine the torque you get?

4 Likes

Things that affect low speed / stand-still torque:

1. wheel size and gearing
  2. motor kv and size
  3. esc possible output

At high speed, the 4th factor that comes into play is battery output.

Wheel size and gearing should be pretty obvious: if you gear your board for a lower top speed, your board will have an easier time accelerating, i.e. producing more torque.

Motor size dictates how much a motor will heat up at a given torque load, and kv dictates the torque/current relationship. If you had a very powerful ESC that could provide whatever current you need, then you could ignore kv and just focus on motor size: bigger will be able to give you more torque before thermal throttling. But, if you have a weak ESC, then kv becomes important: you want the kv high enough to give you the speed you want to reach, but lower values will give you more torque per motor current.

Then comes the ESC: having beefy motors is pointless if your ESC can’t provide enough current to drive them to their limits. That’s why I suggested the BKB Duo in my original post someone deleted: its ESC can provide the most motor current, and its motors are more powerful than the other boards.

Now, notice how I haven’t mentioned the battery at all. What will be surprising to you as a newcomer is that you don’t need as much battery current as you might think. Let’s say you’re accelerating from 0 to 20% of your max speed. Even if your motors are being driven at 100A total, the voltage the motors see is only 20% of your max, so the power required to drive them from your battery is only 20A. If you were going full speed and accelerating up a hill at 100A – then yeah, your battery would need to be capable of providing 100A. But when accelerating from a standstill, you can get away with way less.

7 Likes

The bottleneck limiting torque on the BKB kit is likely the 10S3P 30Q battery which has a maximum safe output of 60 amps and more conservatively 45 amps if you want the battery to last.

I have been shocked at how much power I get out of my old 10S board that is limited to 40 amps total. I run dual 6374 motors and I pull over 100 motor amps per side when I am really gunning it. The nice thing about the BKB setup over the others is upgradeability. It comes with, by far, the best ESC option and I like the VX2 remote quite a bit.

If you have another $300 to spend I would consider also buying the battery with case pictured below to mount on the front of the board which you would connect in parallel with the other 10S3P 30Q pack that comes with the Duo. With a 10S6P and a maximum output of 90-120 amps and a Xenith controller that can handle all that power, you would destroy the other pre-built boards you mentioned off the line - but with that much power you may then start re-considering having such a flexy deck. If so, a deck swap would be fairly simple.

5 Likes