TOP rated prebuilt boards to consider Black carve 2,BKB duo etc.

Check your messages dude

This has been something I’ve been curious about for a while.

There are so many different ways end of-charge can be handled by different BMS hardware and firmware, if BMS’ are even involved. Adding to the mix is that either CC/CV power supplies (sometimes called trickle chargers) or “smart” chargers (sometimes called float chargers, just CC/CV power supplies with a brain) can be used.

I’d love to sort it all out and come up with some recommendations but not sure how.

(Edit) corrected float/trickle mixup.

2 Likes

Meepo awd pro :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for your input but that board was not on the list in Question and it’s a 4wd hub drive. The one’s I was looking for comparisons on are all belt drive to get as good as one can apples to apples comparison. Not gear, direct,or hub drive. Those are totally different than what’s on my short list.
From the sounds of it on here and with the different view points it’s looking like the BKB duo is the most compelling for my needs and has the ability to upgrade and add to it when I get more of a sense of DIY tricks.
Thanks for your thoughts though @City-Blade-101

2 Likes

When comparing boards motor Watt ratings are completely useless. There is no standardized way company’s rate there stuff. Sometimes it’s continuous power sometimes it’s peak power and sometimes it’s a completely stupid number that they pulled out of their ass.
Most of the time the prebuilt boards won’t ever reach the stated motor power because the ESC and battery severely limit the actual power that gets delivered to the motor.

That’s the reason everyone points you to BKB. That’s the only board with an esc actually capable of delivering a good amount of power to the Motors.

1 Like

Also check out my thread where I asked a similar question:

I had different requirements than you: vesc-only - no closed-source ESCs need apply.
Still some good input tho: Picking a builder - picking a board
I wound up going with the Demon 2.0 that was mentioned above.
It hasn’t arrived yet so I can’t tell you what I think yet.
It doesn’t sound like you’re interested in that one, but I’ll still say if you go that way make sure you ask how long it will take to get it in your hands I didn’t do that.

Totally agree. They are all over the place with their power rating and stats. I like the VESC open source and the fact you have the ability to adjust the outputs in the tool. I’m curious how much more the new Xenith ESC BKB is selling will deliver in terms of power output capabilities or is it just a few add ons like roll to start etc…
I did also have the demon 2.0 on my radar but the price point is a little bit higher than the ones I was considering but it does look legit and very solid with the 6374 motors and VESC esc.
I’m sure it’s a good package but it’s $1999 and the BKB duo is closer to $1200 with the options I want.

I feel you I started out looking for something in that price-range as well.
My experience with my Boosted was that the torque was definitely not impressive.
Range was absolute poop. I know range is not your concern here but having to go home before you’re ready just sucks. That’s less of a concern these days since all the boards you mention have way better range than a V1 Boosted.
I kept upselling myself until I wound up with the Demon.
I spent more than I wanted to - but I just didn’t want to wind up in the situation where I have an almost-but-not-quite-good-enough board and I’m kicking myself for not spending just a bit more.

1 Like

As far as I know pretty much all of the prebuilds escs only use a maximum of ~30A combined battery current. With a Xenith you can use 60A. For EACH motor. So the esc can deliver 4 times the power of a prebuild. Now the battery from BKB can only output 60A max so ist still better than a prebuilt but later with a new battery you could make it even better.

have you watched Daniel Kwan’s video where he uphill torture-tests a few boards?

The Evolve curls up and dies. The Onsra 2 does quite well despite the small motors. Only the Exway Atlas 2WD does better out of the ones he tested.
edit… wait it was the Atlas that has small motors yet does surprisingly well.

2 Likes

Thanks.
That’s kinda what I was thinking is to add another battery in parallel after a few months and hopefully increase range, power and overall fun factor.

1 Like

It would be interesting to see the zealot S and BKB duo in that test from Daniel Kwan. I wonder how they would do?

I’d be curious to hear some opinions on that too.
BTW can the Zealot and Duo wear those big wheels? Not every board can, right?

The Zealot S and Duo with a Xenith ESC will not even be in the same torque realm. The Hobbywing ESC is sooo underwhelming. Bigger motors, better ESC, more amps = Duo has heaps more torque

*extremely biased, but knowledgeable source

3 Likes

I did that with my boosted:

It was a hassle but it got the job done.
As you can see there’s other issues: two batteries aren’t as dense as one so your enclosure is gonna be bigger with two packs stacked in there or you need to have space for another battery along side under the board.
I see the duo has that space under the board but if it’s flexy like the boosted is and you add more batteries in that space you might have problems with clearance. The Boosted had the batteries on one side and the esc on the other to give the deck space to bow down in the middle.
I couldn’t be as carefree with dropping off curbs and whatnot with the extra batteries on.

Thanks Jared. If I was to add another battery in parallel on The BKB what effect would it have on acceleration, power and top speed if any? Would it only increase the range?
Thanks for chiming in.

Only the range if you keep the xenith settings the same.

1 Like

And slightly more power due to decreased voltage sag, but usually you would increase the battery limits and take advantage of that extra power, and especially regen braking

So hey kids, it is late 2021.

What are the good prebuilts these days.

My neighbor is considering getting a board.

I am not sure what to recommend.

Ownboard Zeus and Meepo Hurricane look pretty good, but are closer to 1700 bucks.

I imagine the Zealot or Zealot S is what is best under 1000 bucks.

He is looking a bit at the Wowgo AT2. which is probably 1100 bucks.
I know it is 10S and a year old, but looks kinda decent for the price.

are there any other 2 in 1s to consider in this 1200 range?

paging @ShutterShock and @Evwan as you guys seemed tuned in to what is out there a bit.

he is 190 lbs and enjoyed riding my Demonseed 42 with 110s.

last night he tried the Flux and really loved it, but I don;t think he is ready to drop 3 grand quite yet.

also, for the price these Tynee boards look good…

1 Like

Zeus good for speed and range. Hammer is the most comfortable board I’ve ridden.

1 Like