Picking a builder - picking a board

I’m looking for a pre-built board to replace my dead Boosted.
Not your hobbywing/lingyi or Evolve tho.
I want something equal-to-or-better-than an Evolve or Onsra in every category but I want it to be VESC-based rather than hobbywing or whatever proprietary thing an Evolve uses because even though I don’t want to get into spot-welding right now I will no doubt want to hack on whatever I get at some point in the future.

Looking at Unknownboards M5 (A youtuber Brand) this board hits most all the points I’m looking for: good range but not a tank, good size, good speed, good acceleration, slightly flexy, VESC, swappable wheels and pulleys.

The issues I would have are:

• I’m in Canada and these guys are in the UK with obviously no service center in Canada or even the US. It was annoying enough getting my Boosted fixed when I had to send to the US imagine having to send it to the UK and back.
  • I don’t really want to beta-test a brand-new board design - although to be fair the board is made of off-the-shelf components so there shouldn’t be a whole lot to wrong.
  • How long are these guys going to be around. I’m sure they aren’t planning to quit but no one ever does.

So I guess my question for the DIY guys around here:
if you were to recommend a maker of a pre-made VESC-based board a lot like this one for a Canadian, who would it be?

2 Likes

What is your budget and timeline?

1 Like

Budget is “whatever’s fair for what I want”.
An Onsra or M5 is around $2000 us ($2500 CAD).
Presumably there’s taxes and duty to pay when it gets shipped to Canada.
I think if I bought an Evolve in the store downtown it would be a little more.
So something around 2k US I guess?

Timeline is now. Weather is getting better every day so I’d like to be riding in a couple weeks ideally.

First, I would keep a close eye on the “completes for sale” categories on here.

10 Likes

I think the flux motion boards are a smoking deal for the $$, also the shipping is crazy fast and customer service is top notch!

9 Likes

That looks cool and it’s not out of the question but it’s a different kind of thing that what I’ve been looking at.
Your M5/Evolve/Onsra kind of thing can wear AT wheels and hopefully carve a bit and go down a bicycle trail but it’s still reasonable for a commuter as well.
The FluxMotion looks more like a LaCroix or something. Longer, wider, heavier, with a very big battery and also way more expensive.
At 2355 euros that’s $2800 US or $3500 Canadian.
If I was gonna go into that territory I think I’d have to look at LaCroix which is a Canadian company. I see the LaCroix Jaws is $2600 US.

Still… I’ve already re-calibrated what I’m looking for from a chinese Boosted-clone to an Evolve, to a VESC-based-better-than-Evolve super-commuter in the last couple weeks. I could re-calibrate again and start looking at these big ol’ urban carvers.

2 Likes

@ahrav is selling a beast in the USA but it’s 3k usd I think
Otherwise the complètes for sale here always has boards

You could ask @longhairedboy to build you one also

2 Likes

Yup I hit up @longhairedboy via his website form this weekend. Haven’t heard back yet. Maybe because I dumped a load of questions on him.
Hey @longhairedboy I’d be happy to put those questions in this thread instead if you like.
Feel free to just paste my message in here if you like otherwise I can’t just remember what my questions were and type em out again.

1 Like

Sorry I meant to say I CAN remember what they were and type em out again that’s not a big deal to do.

Metroboard x would fit the build if your looking for a step up from the evolve gtr series.

The hoyt el1 is a step up to the boosted boards.

Shopping the complete section is a good place on here. I might letting go of a board but it doesn’t fit what your looking for.

1 Like

I might have replied back to you on a different thread but anyway I would suggest the Demon 2.0 from Propulsion Boards. It has a ubox or foc box. They are a US based company and their board cost as much as an evolve or onsra but has equal or better specs. 38 mph with the Street wheels and 32 mph with the All Terrain wheels and 30 miles with the Street option and 18 miles with the All Terrain option. They use bigger motors and from what I hear its really powerful. You can also buy their kit for the same board thats only $1699.99 USD and they send you all the parts and they are all plug and play and they give you a tutorial on how to program it too.

1 Like

Cheers Justaguy this looks like exactly what I’m after. We might have a winner here.

1 Like

Bought the Demon 2.0.
I’m excited.
I’ll report back when I get it.

3 Likes

doesnt look to bad at all just a little expensive for what it is
only thing i would be weary of is the unity

You can buy the unbuilt kit from them for $1600. The part listing is there on the website I don’t know what it amounts to if you bought all the bits seperately on alibaba but if they are charging an extra 25% for pulling it all together and keeping it in stock I feel like that’s not out of line.
Then they are charging $400 to put it together into a prebuilt. Again I don’t feel that’s too far out of of line.
I’m new here so I might be out of line but I think some DIYers aren’t valuing their time including all the learning they’ve done highly enough.
If I did overpay by a lot for what I got I’d almost rather not know ignorance is bliss lol.

5 Likes

It’s been a solid performer for many people, myself included. I had one out of 3 blow after 2 years of riding hard and abusing it thermally. The antisparks are usually the first thing to go and then you just add your own loopkey switch and bypass the blown bit. 3/10 on electronics difficulty scale.

“Unity” leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many here because the owner of the company formally known as Enertion was a proper cunt about delivering them, not paying his employees, not doing out orders, having truly manic episodes, accusing his own engineers of stealing the unity when they quit and made a new esc at a new company (shock and awe, electrical engineers continued doing what they were doing), and then he started selling unities again illegally under a fake company while his real company was being liquidated… still opting to pay himself before any of the customers, engineers, or investors/shareholders that he owed money to.

He’s selling the “unity+” now and some other new BS controller that is a rewrapped unity with better heat sink and pathetic performance improvements.

Unity:

New-nity:

totally not the same /s

2 Likes

Oh yeah Enertion. I used to hang on an electric vehicle board called endless-sphere when I was figuring out how to put extra batteries on my Boosted to extend the range.
I had one interaction with a guy named Jacob who had something to do with Enertion and the guy lied to me and tried to scam me.
It put a real bad taste in my mouth for that company and eskate in general to be honest.
Read the “Eulogy for Enertion” thread here interesting to see how the worm turns.

1 Like

Oops I pressed the wrong button and withdrew the comment that Venom was replying to. I’m not sure how to undo that this is what it said:

I didn’t realize the unity is not respected. Hopefully it works well for me but either way I’m glad that I will be able to switch it out some day if necessary which I wouldn’t be able to do if I’d gone the Evolve or hobbywing route.

Unity is fine. Don’t sweat it. There are some issues but I’d run one with some visual inspection. There’s one in my daughters board.

1 Like

It’s respected. It’s a very good ESC, we just hate Jason Potter. Your board is great and you’re right about this

For us, $400 is a rip off because we already invested in learning how to do it ourselves + tools. For someone who has neither I think $400 is very fair especially with good after sale service. I think you’ll be very happy with the build.

4 Likes