Too soon to tell? Looking for input

Is it too soon to tell? Does history speak louder than recent experience? Did I make a leap of faith, an act of ignorance, or a calculated failure?

I don’t know.

I don’t want this to turn into a bashing and I hope and want the vendor to do the right thing so I’m not trying to call them out or negatively review them yet because they may.

I just feel very Meh at this point and frustrated…

I’ve read what some have to say about certain vendors. I believe that I would feel the same if wronged similarly. Equally, that’s why I am typing this.

Over the last few months I lurked and began building 2 boards. I aquired some parts from vendors I found before finding this forums knowledge base. Still mostly on track woth the right parts but maybe not the most trusted vendor in the forum community.

My experience with this vendor was good and until lately I was hopeful what I was begonning to read was pains of an immature past.

I ordered a quality VESC based ESC. It shipped within a day or two and was in my hands within a week. I ordered some small misc. parts, same story. I reached out and recieved prompt replies within a day or two for every question I had.
These transactions went well enough I found I trusted the vendor with much more expensive purchases.
Building 2 boards doubled parts and expenses so I ordered more parts and saved money to batteries.

A few months pass with good CS, quick responsive emails and clear communication. I decided I would go ahead and order from them once I had the necessary funds.

I am here exactly one month later after placing the order with no batteries, my order yet to be fulfilled (as of todays screen capture) and waning to absent communication is doing little to set me at ease.
My previous good experiences I used as a litmus test before ordering batteries are beginning to mean much less as my experience currently seems to reflect what others have been upset with the vendor for.

I am beginning to doubt if I am going to see the product that has left a crater in my bank account.
But I am also unsure if I would feel this way having not read the negative comments from others on the forum since it was a custom special order. (Maybe I would?)

As I contemplate demanding a order cancellation and refund / beginning a credit card dispute…I debate if it’s time. A trap of believing for 2 weeks now that any day, every junk email, my order will have shipped and it will be of acceptable quality.

My previous interactions were good…
I am also weighing that 12 days ago (week 3 post payment) this small business notified me in response to me asking for a status in week 2, that they are having a mitigating circumstance in their personal life but “will be in office in a few days to QC before shipping”… I was understanding in reply but to this point, they are also still a business with my ($$$$) money x2 and I still have no products and now no updates for going on 2 weeks now.

Maybe they were jacked up and need to be rebuilt, maybe they never built them and jist started last week, maybe they took the money and ran, maybe they are just sitting there collecting dust while they sort out their personal S. I don’t know.

You’re me. What do you do?
Thanks in advance for serious input.

Sorry for long winded typing and/or if this is the wrong place…I was hopeful the first thing I posted after my intro would be better than this.
However it shakes out, updates and company name will follow if you don’t already know/suspect …

4 Likes

Assuming the batteries were to be custom built?

A month isn’t terrible, but lack of communication isn’t great.

5 Likes

A company is building your battery? We need to know who it is as there are some awful battery building companies.

1 Like

I will, but not yet.

If a month isnt bad, yes they were ‘custom ordered’ then that is a slight relief but the communication breakdown is definately increasing my frustration and concern.

These are major red flags.

Don’t ask, tell.

Tell them to ship the product by two weeks from {the day you send the message}. Tell them that it will be inspected by experts for quality control once it arrives. If it’s a safety hazard, shitty, not the product you ordered, or not shipped by the deadline, you will file a dispute. Let them know this isn’t up for negotiation. Tell them if they cannot do that, they are free to cancel the sale right now and avoid bank fees by simply refunding the order in whole.

Asking and waiting will only lead you to heartache.

If you get a product and want to know if it’s safe, upload high res photos here and ask.

All this being said, quality batteries do take a while to build as @glyphiks said. But the jerking you around, and not giving straight answers, and sometimes completely ignoring you, are major red flags I’ve seen almost every time before someone got majorly ripped off. I’m not saying they are ripping you off.

2 Likes

Is this chibattery? If it is, get your money back, they’re selling you a bomb.

3 Likes

Thats seems pretty reasonable good call. I’ll draft something up to send them.

Yeah…

Quality batteries from a small business can take a long time. I always quote very high lead times to my customers and try to deliver earlier than them. But extenuating circumstances can be tough.

Hard to say what to do but lack of communication is definitely the worst.

2 Likes

As of this morning, having followed @b264 's advice I have tracking numbers, signature required, for eta at the end of this week.

Cautiously optimistic pending they actually begin to travel and I don’t recieve a hot mess…

I don’t know if my email spurred the action or if the action was already pending. It remains to be seen. But, the reply was swift in comparison to the last few weeks so it seems likely.

The company probably needs to hire an additional someone to be their administrator so there is redundancy in their customer service in the future.

I will update as the situation develops and on arrival, photos will be uploaded. I sincerely hope this situation pleasantly suprises everyone and doesn’t devolve but, we’re going to see.

Thank you for your input so far.

break break* preemptive question:
Anyone in Seattle/ Vancouver BC/ Portland area do batteries?

@DuckBatterySystems is in the Portland area

3 Likes

In general, I’m always fine waiting longer than expected for any item I order to arrive so long as the seller/company is upfront about what is causing the delay. Either through clear posts on their site or social media, or by being prompt at answering customer emails. The few times I’ve had non esk8 items that were taking too long for my liking, I sent an email to ask and got a reply that same day which was enough for me to not feel scammed.

I’ve also had sketchy companies reply somewhat fast but with very round about answers, hell, I had one company lie for months about why an item wasn’t being shipped despite them having the item in stock. So after I got the item I never used them again. I didn’t get scammed in that case but the lying customer support + them then getting mad at me for calling out their lies was the biggest red flag ever. That was from a popular site too where they had a good reputation for sending what was bought. also it was a site for buying anime figures and not sk8 related

Don’t back down after they give you just a tracking number. I had a sketchy seller who only made a tracking number after I threatened them via PayPal only to then proceed to not actually ship it/ hand it to the shipping company for another week. If you don’t see it being sent out keep emailing them until they do ship it

2 Likes

I second this:
after an an ultimatum mail, receiving automatically a tracking number while they say they won’t ship for a week would sounds to me less legit than an excuse/explication mail about why it isn’t shipped.

I’m not saying it’s a scam but it sounds more like something an amazon/aliexpress seller would do than an humane scalled company

Wait. TB is still in business lmao?

1 Like

I did get 6384 motors and 14t pulleys from them…no issue what so ever I did read there may have been some qc issues?
Haven’t ran them since I have no battery…

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d have had no issue if it was clear communication and it didnt just cease for weeks at a time the after they took my money.

More so a joke.

Glad you were one of the lucky ones.

Good luck on your build

1 Like

This is very incorrect. The Amazon sellers located in China have all been great customer service and shipping speed wise when contacting them directly for stuff. They know how much a negative review can affect an item’s sales and will do anything to ensure a good review/ to fix the issue you have.

Hell, I messaged one to ask to buy the buckles they use so I could make a custom piece for my dog’s vest. A year after i bought the vest and yet they insisted on making it and shipping it via DHL express for free. Needless to say the next vest I bought through them as a custom piece and somehow it cost less than the standard version in the same size from the Amazon warehouse :person_shrugging:

Feel free to shit on Aliexpress sellers though :rofl:

1 Like

It’s not about shitting on aliexpress, I buy stuff there all days long.

It’s about scale, having a tracking number ready to throw at loud clients sounds like something you do when you have a lot of loud clients to deal with.

I’m sure than most of one or two persone scaled companies that are on this forum would have just answerd honestly, like a one person to one person discussion and not like a sale manager.

“Hey man, sorry bout that I’m moving to my new place and it’s hard to keep up with the orders” vs “sure dear client, here is your tracking number, be assured we will be shipping as soon as possible. If I have answerd your qiestion, please take one minute to fill this survey”

1 Like

6374*

Lots of ways to do CS wrong. I don’t do business but I imagine its difficult when you have a small staff and high order flow and then personal stuff throws a wrench in your small staffs’ work lives. For me the red flags became vauge timelines (“the next couple days”) followed by weeks of radio silence. They were pretty candid about what they had going on though. After the first week of silence. :roll_eyes:

For now things are enroute so now we wait for delivery to see what I’ve gotten into.

1 Like